Solved - [Act of War Modding] – How to install the 3DS Max plugin (EugPluginASE)?

Alnox
Private First-Class

Solved - [Act of War Modding] – How to install the 3DS Max plugin (EugPluginASE)?

Postby Alnox » Thu 1 Sep 2016 08:23

Hello everyone,

Mystery solved :). The original setup that installs the plugin had a design faulty causing an incorrect installation. To solve that I design a new setup from scratch that I called Alnox EugPluginASE2 Deployer.

Intro for the new ones :), In order to export 3ds max models (units, buildings, etc.) as ".ase2ndfbin", to use in Act-of-War on custom maps, or to modify an existent unit or even create a new unit. We need to install this plugin on 3ds max (v7 or v8). Btw, for those that don’t know already, Act of War - High Treason can by fully modded be official tools provided in the game installation.

I’m dividing this first post into 2 parts:
1 - The Solution, with the overview and the links for the new setup, documentation on how to use and a quick-start.
2 – The original post, describing the initial problem.

##########################################################################################################
########## 1 - The Solution ####################################################################################
##########################################################################################################

>> New setup, documentation and quick-start with 3 examples: https://mega.nz/#F!IwZS0ACY!TSxh7OxYQw9LCISxEFRkAA

>> Act of War - Alnox Archive: https://mega.nz/#F!48RXRJDL!A-hTtg_iddLVSdRrwmhXkA

First page of the Alnox EugPluginASE2 Deployer documentation to give you an overview

Z1 - Alnox Deployer doc - First page large plus Deployer GUI.png
Z1 - Alnox Deployer doc - First page large plus Deployer GUI.png (659.54 KiB) Viewed 762 times

First page of the Quick-Start on how to integrate 3dsmax model in the game, to give an overview

Z2 - Alnox Quick-Start doc - First page large.png
Z2 - Alnox Quick-Start doc - First page large.png (596.69 KiB) Viewed 762 times

i wish you all a good day , good game and good mods :)
Alnox

########## 2 -The Initial Problem ################################################################################

Notes of my setup:
- 3ds max version = 3ds max 7.0 SP1 commercial
- Operation System = Windows XP SP3 32 bits
- Plugin version = 1.0.24 (EugPluginASESetup.exe) (MD5 = a2eb5aa4a5d45908753ae3b441a690b4)
- AOW HT patch = 1b

My problem is, when I install the EugPluginASESetup.exe (located at: Act of War – High Treason\SDK\plugins), I get an error saying:
- Assert Failed (PB zlib1.dll) at location 01867070
i click ok, and the installation continues and complete successful (apparently :P).

Problems with the Plugin (EugPluginASESetup.exe).jpg
Problems with the Plugin (EugPluginASESetup.exe).jpg (715.12 KiB) Viewed 762 times

Any idea of what im doing wrong?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Official tutorial (Integrate a 3dsmax model as a unit):
http://web.archive.org/web/200712162039 ... _as_a_unit

Some one with the same problem (on old Eugen Systems Forum)
http://web.archive.org/web/200712150218 ... .php?t=224
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Btw, for those that don’t know already, Act of War - High Treason can by fully modded be official tools provided in the game installation ;)

Thanks, and good play :)

Note: At the time i update this 1st post with the solution, the topic was on 12º post ;)
Last edited by Alnox on Sun 9 Oct 2016 14:02, edited 11 times in total.

D-M

Re: Help - [Act of War Modding] – How to install the 3DS Max pluging (EugPlugingASES)?

Postby D-M » Fri 2 Sep 2016 16:33

Nah i (and everyone I know who tried) got the same issue as you but I gave up since we aren't even sure if a model exported with this plugin 'd even work with wargame.

Alnox
Private First-Class

Re: Help - [Act of War Modding] – How to install the 3DS Max pluging (EugPlugingASES)?

Postby Alnox » Sat 3 Sep 2016 14:52

D-M wrote:Nah i (and everyone I know who tried) got the same issue as you but I gave up since we aren't even sure if a model exported with this plugin 'd even work with wargame.

Hi D-M

Ok :(

Many thanks for your reply D-M! :) means a lot for me. i already spend a lot of hours, try many different things and is all the same :(

I think the plugin version that Eugen System put in the game installation is different from the one they show in the PDF documentation. I notice that the 3ds max 7 they use (from images that appear on PDF), seems to be from some different release other than v7.0 or v7.0 SP1. The plugin is most likely to be compatible only with that release… see the differences below,
1 - Differences in the ASE2 plugin windows.JPG
1 - Differences in the ASE2 plugin windows.JPG (198.56 KiB) Viewed 962 times

However, I believe I can fly (I'm kidding xD)
However, I believe that is possible to put the plugin working. Because in the past, modders like “10C” create mods with new models (units, etc).
Ex: Anacondria Rising Mod (for Act of War – High Treason ) - http://www.moddb.com/mods/anacondria-rising

I have send message to 10C, but seems that he don’t visit the ModDM.com for quite some time :/

I will continuing debugging this mystery xD

One more time, THANKS for you reply :) and have a good day!

realfakealex
Lieutenant

Postby realfakealex » Sat 17 Sep 2016 18:25

hopefully you'll break through...

Alnox
Private First-Class

Postby Alnox » Mon 19 Sep 2016 09:51

Hi everyone, great news here :)

But first, I like to thanks to D-M, realfakealex and Sisslik(HQgaming.de Administrator) for your support! :)

I managed to solve the mystery, and was nothing that I’m (you and other people) are doing wrong. The problem was that the “setup.exe” that installs the plugin was badly designed. The setup try to register the wrong DLL’s and mess around with the windows registry in a bad way, leaving it corrupted :/

I’m building a new “setup.exe” that’s performs the installation in the correct way.

I hope that this will enable people to start to create mods that include new models (units, building, etc) for Eugen Systems titles (hopeful not only for Act of War franchise, but for all the titles that use the models with the same ".ASE2ndfBIN" extension)

In the upcoming days, i will post the solution and the new “setup.exe” here :)

Alnox

Narcissistic Black
Major

Postby Narcissistic Black » Wed 21 Sep 2016 07:11

Alnox wrote:Hi everyone, great news here :)

But first, I like to thanks to D-M, realfakealex and Sisslik(HQgaming.de Administrator) for your support! :)

I managed to solve the mystery, and was nothing that I’m (you and other people) are doing wrong. The problem was that the “setup.exe” that installs the plugin was badly designed. The setup try to register the wrong DLL’s and mess around with the windows registry in a bad way, leaving it corrupted :/

I’m building a new “setup.exe” that’s performs the installation in the correct way.

I hope that this will enable people to start to create mods that include new models (units, building, etc) for Eugen Systems titles (hopeful not only for Act of War franchise, but for all the titles that use the models with the same ".ASE2ndfBIN" extension)

In the upcoming days, i will post the solution and the new “setup.exe” here :)

Alnox

Good luck. Hope it works out.
The First Narcissist
Click signature to see Modification.

KattiValk
General

Re: Help - [Act of War Modding] – How to install the 3DS Max plugin (EugPluginASE)?

Postby KattiValk » Fri 23 Sep 2016 21:32

This sort of breakthrough is unprecedented. You'd win the respect of the entire modding community instantly with this.

Narcissistic Black
Major

Postby Narcissistic Black » Mon 26 Sep 2016 08:27

Alnox wrote:

Well did it work.
The First Narcissist
Click signature to see Modification.

Alnox
Private First-Class

Re: Help - [Act of War Modding] – How to install the 3DS Max plugin (EugPluginASE)?

Postby Alnox » Tue 27 Sep 2016 02:13

Hi everyone :)

Just to say that I’m almost finish the new setup, im working as fast as I possibly can… it was not possible to release earlier, because my school homework get in the way XD

And yes Narcissistic Black, works :) . we can install it manual, but im doing and testing the new setup, to help people that are not familiar with windows registry to install it in the right way :).

Tested on:
OS = Win2000, WinXp, Win2000(on Virtual Machine), WinXP(on Virtual Machine)
3dsmax = v7 (any release) , v8 (any release). Note: To be able to be compatible with newer, we need to recompile the plugin in 3dsmax SDK… but we need the source code I believe. I doesn’t have time to explore this yet… maybe in the future if we have special needs :P

kiheerSEDMAN, many thanks for the inspiration you make me fill special and good welcome :) … im just a simple guy, not more than another person.

I will post here as asap ;)
Good day 4 all
Last edited by Alnox on Sat 8 Oct 2016 07:27, edited 2 times in total.

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Tue 27 Sep 2016 02:20

I don't think I could be more hyped.