Keep out squirrels from your garden

Galvan_Richard
Private

Keep out squirrels from your garden

Postby Galvan_Richard » Tue 19 Sep 2017 04:14

The common gray squirrels have been a long spelled trouble for home gardeners because of their fondness for fresh fruits, vegetables, and flowers. If you think you've tried every possible way to keep them out of your garden, but failed, here are some few tips that I have used myself and found fruitful. A few years ago, I couldn't stand the infestation in my garden, and no matter whatever I did, they kept coming back. It literally made me insane to see my plump tomatoes lying on the ground in a pulpy mess or been chewed on one side whenever I went to pick them up. I had to call the squirrel removal service in Markham finally to get rid of them. To prevent further infestation I did some Internet searching and found a blog which was really useful. It did have some useful tips which I would like to share with you all today.

1) Try caging them out

The most simple DIY project is to erect a simple wire cage with a bird-netting roof. Depending on the number of tomatoes you are planning to grow and the layout of your garden, you can build single cages to protect individual plants or you can build a larger cage that will cover a small bed.

2) Get a Cat
You are a step ahead of the game if you already have one. If you don't have one, you don't need to go buy one. Just set out a saucer of cat food. This will attract a neighborhood cat or maybe two. This will keep out the squirrels, birds and even chipmunks. Just don't feed the cats too much, otherwise, they will stop hunting.

3) Mix them a cocktail

Prepare the hot pepper tea and spray it around the border of the garden and leaves of plants in the garden. This way you can avoid unwanted critters getting anyway near your plants. However, be careful while spraying so that it won't get on your skin or anywhere near your eyes or mouth.
Below I will describe how to make the hot pepper tea which I have quoted from the blog:

-Start by putting on rubber gloves like the kind you might use to protect your hands while washing dishes and a long sleeve shirt.
-Buy four fresh cayenne peppers, cut the tops off and throw away the green stems. Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and chop coarsely.
-Place the chopped peppers and seeds in a container and add 1 1/2 cups of hot water and 1/2 cup of white vinegar. Seal tightly and let the jar sit for four days, shaking gently 2-3 times a day.
-Place a strainer in a funnel and place the funnel into a spray bottle. Pour the pepper mix into the container, discarding the chopped peppers and seeds that have collected in the strainer.
-Add 1 teaspoon of dishwashing liquid and 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the spray bottle. Screw the spray lid on tightly and gently shake the bottle to mix all the ingredients into a light emulsion.
You can spray this mixture preferably in the morning when the air is still.

varis
Brigadier

Re: Keep out squirrels from your garden

Postby varis » Tue 19 Sep 2017 11:41

Welcome to the forums. What a start!

Squirrels are the scourge of mankind. The site you linked tells us they can transport along wires and chew through metal obstructions. Who knows what they will do once they start evolving. Mark my words.

Personally I prefer to nuke them from orbit but I guess the above is the second best option. I'll have to discuss this with a qualified expert. Do you think the sauce you mention would also be effective against snails?

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Tue 19 Sep 2017 14:10

Galvan_Richard wrote:The common gray squirrels have been a long spelled trouble for home gardeners because of their fondness for fresh fruits, vegetables, and flowers. If you think you've tried every possible way to keep them out of your garden, but failed, here are some few tips that I have used myself and found fruitful. A few years ago, I couldn't stand the infestation in my garden, and no matter whatever I did, they kept coming back. It literally made me insane to see my plump tomatoes lying on the ground in a pulpy mess or been chewed on one side whenever I went to pick them up. I had to call the squirrel removal service in Markham finally to get rid of them. To prevent further infestation I did some Internet searching and found a blog which was really useful. It did have some useful tips which I would like to share with you all today.

1) Try caging them out

The most simple DIY project is to erect a simple wire cage with a bird-netting roof. Depending on the number of tomatoes you are planning to grow and the layout of your garden, you can build single cages to protect individual plants or you can build a larger cage that will cover a small bed.

2) Get a Cat
You are a step ahead of the game if you already have one. If you don't have one, you don't need to go buy one. Just set out a saucer of cat food. This will attract a neighborhood cat or maybe two. This will keep out the squirrels, birds and even chipmunks. Just don't feed the cats too much, otherwise, they will stop hunting.

3) Mix them a cocktail

Prepare the hot pepper tea and spray it around the border of the garden and leaves of plants in the garden. This way you can avoid unwanted critters getting anyway near your plants. However, be careful while spraying so that it won't get on your skin or anywhere near your eyes or mouth.
Below I will describe how to make the hot pepper tea which I have quoted from the blog:

-Start by putting on rubber gloves like the kind you might use to protect your hands while washing dishes and a long sleeve shirt.
-Buy four fresh cayenne peppers, cut the tops off and throw away the green stems. Cut the peppers in half lengthwise and chop coarsely.
-Place the chopped peppers and seeds in a container and add 1 1/2 cups of hot water and 1/2 cup of white vinegar. Seal tightly and let the jar sit for four days, shaking gently 2-3 times a day.
-Place a strainer in a funnel and place the funnel into a spray bottle. Pour the pepper mix into the container, discarding the chopped peppers and seeds that have collected in the strainer.
-Add 1 teaspoon of dishwashing liquid and 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the spray bottle. Screw the spray lid on tightly and gently shake the bottle to mix all the ingredients into a light emulsion.
You can spray this mixture preferably in the morning when the air is still.

Ok mate get an air gun personally recommended the HW97k it hits hard and accurately with probably the best trigger you will ever feel. Plenty of calibre options from .177 , .20, .22 and .25 I use 22 cal 177 is the more accurate.25 is good for indoor work 22 provides nice knock down power.

http://www.weihrauch-sport.de/air-rifles?lang=en

Good luck killing your tree rats personally got a problem with regular rats killed a few trying to get one a night now

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4cYf2cFfRnQ

D-M

Postby D-M » Tue 19 Sep 2017 18:17

How about just letting the furries live ? Not like they are going to punch you in the gut and fuck your wife.

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Wed 20 Sep 2017 15:23

D-M wrote:How about just letting the furries live ? Not like they are going to punch you in the gut and fuck your wife.

THEY'RE FUCKING TERRORIST
Courtesy of KattiValk

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Wed 20 Sep 2017 19:25

Mike wrote:
D-M wrote:How about just letting the furries live ? Not like they are going to punch you in the gut and fuck your wife.

THEY'RE FUCKING TERRORIST

RAT FURIES WITH NUCLEAR ROCKS

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Wed 20 Sep 2017 20:14

Well grey squirrels are an invasive species they are an absolute menace for native wildlife slaughtering nesting song birds. Not to mention they spred squirrel pox that kills native red squirrels.

Another thing is they do tons of damage to property chewing electric cables, damage to bird boxes, and lots more.

Kill all the grey squirrels the UK will be better off without that vermin.

A 303 calibre air gun I want that

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=sEvEiGAC87A

Cheesehead
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Cheesehead » Wed 20 Sep 2017 20:32

Buy a .22 and then enjoy roasted squirrel for dinner to complement your home grown vegetables.

D-M

Postby D-M » Wed 20 Sep 2017 20:36

he didn't say "it's coming right for us !". :ugeek: