War Thunder

Admiral Piett
Colonel

Re: War Thunder

Postby Admiral Piett » Sun 11 Jun 2017 03:59

Mike wrote:Sure that's not the Corsair?

Yeah, there is a Hellcat now too. I just checked. 5.0 BR in AB. 2x20mm and 4x12.7mm.

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Sun 11 Jun 2017 05:13

Admiral Piett wrote:
Mike wrote:Sure that's not the Corsair?

Yeah, there is a Hellcat now too. I just checked. 5.0 BR in AB. 2x20mm and 4x12.7mm.

Well I'll be!
Courtesy of KattiValk

Killertomato

Postby Killertomato » Sun 11 Jun 2017 09:56

The navy's 20s are great. The Air Force's less so.

You have the lightning (1 20mm), the black widow (immense, slow and made of oil-soaked balsa wood), and the cobras (37mm is deadly if it hits. IF it hits). Before the fiddy buff, a lot of US planes were almost Japanese in that the airframes were great but the armaments were anemic. P-80's the worst example but far from alone.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

StalkerDellaNote
Lieutenant

Postby StalkerDellaNote » Sun 11 Jun 2017 16:17

IDK, NAVY 20's are hit or miss with me.. literally, with the latter occurring most often

The dispersion on the cannon corsair is awful no matter how you set it, it honestly feels like I have 4 CS:GO AK-47's! They hit like a truck but rounds go wherever they please for the most part, a dive feels like a gamble, if they didn't jam so frequently I'd be less frustrated because of the ammo count/low RoF..

American grind has been rough for ages, I've found myself playing P-51's alot as of late since the fiddy buff, fiddy buff FTW!!!!
"Re: Winter maps?" wrote:Maybe if they ever set Wargame in Scandinavia.

Object199
Warrant Officer

Postby Object199 » Mon 12 Jun 2017 23:07

So I installed the client, read up on AC and started grinding. Decided to go for both a BnZ and turnfighters. Trying to grind the Fw-190 A1, F4F and the Spitfire MkIIb.

Reached the He 112 A0 and kinda feel getting memed with the 20mm gun. Except for head-ons, I dont necessarily need less hits than using a MG. Convergence at 300m, using API-T/HEFI-T.

Mike

Postby Mike » Tue 13 Jun 2017 19:41

The Fw-190-A4 is pure sex once you get high.
Courtesy of KattiValk

Admiral Piett
Colonel

Postby Admiral Piett » Tue 13 Jun 2017 20:07

Mike wrote:The Fw-190-A4 is pure sex once you get high.

Don't do drugs, or you may find yourself having sexual intercourse with an aircraft. ;)

Mike

Postby Mike » Wed 14 Jun 2017 01:24

Admiral Piett wrote:
Mike wrote:The Fw-190-A4 is pure sex once you get high.

Don't do drugs, or you may find yourself having sexual intercourse with an aircraft. ;)

It's just packing so much "firepower" that I can't say no!
Courtesy of KattiValk

TankHunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby TankHunter » Sat 17 Jun 2017 08:52

Object199 wrote:So I installed the client, read up on AC and started grinding. Decided to go for both a BnZ and turnfighters. Trying to grind the Fw-190 A1, F4F and the Spitfire MkIIb.

Reached the He 112 A0 and kinda feel getting memed with the 20mm gun. Except for head-ons, I dont necessarily need less hits than using a MG. Convergence at 300m, using API-T/HEFI-T.

For German 20mm, the early ones kinda suck (MG FF). The later ones are good. You want to get a plane with MG151 or MG FF/M cannons(so basically everything past the He-112s and BF 109E3). Those guns have Minengeschoss ammo, which is fucking awesome. Pick air-target belts for best proportion of Minengeschoss to other ammo. The Italians also use MG151s exclusively so same thing applied to them.

British 20mm you should pick Air-Target belts because they have the most HEFI and HEF-SAPI ammo, but it lacks tracers so learn the ballistics or else you're wasting the enhanced killing power. Set convergance to 300m for the early Spitfires because you only have .303 MGs and those 2 low-ammo 20mm guns. I still run 400m convergance on the late model merlin/griffon spitfires that run a 2xM2, 2xHispano loadout. Engaging any further than that is ill-advised, especially with wing-mounted guns. Spitfires particularly have the guns set far apart on the wings.

.50 cals were recently buffed so they're pretty good. For early-era aircraft, the stock and tracer belts are mediocre. Ground-target belt is good for both early and late M2/M3 .50cals because it can even kill light pillboxes(with 200 hits or so, at a specific weakspot). Stealth is an amazing choice on the .50 cals because they have the best ballistics of any cannon except maybe the ADEN or Colt 20mm of the Hunter and F2 Sabre. You don't need to lead much and the enemy may not always notice your fire until you're landing hits.

Lastly, head-ons are pants-on-head retarded. You should only engage in one if you are at an energy disadvantage and have equal or better firepower. If the enemy has an energy advantage(Altitude and/or speed), they are wasting their advantage in the situation by letting you engage them at all. If you have the energy advantage, never go headon(with a fighter, it works really well on most bombers). Try and bait the enemy to stall as they strain upwards to fire on you, and then loop over and shoot them in a dive. Just be wary of the aircraft that you're facing, as Spitfires, P-38s, and Zeroes can prop-hang well due to their good power-to-weight ratio, making them the best in those situations. For most situations, nose mounted guns are also superior in headons, so never go headon with most of the American air-tree. The only exception is the Fw 190 because 4 cannons (2 in wing-root so almost as accurate as nose guns). Furthermore anything with a liquid-cooled engine sucks in headons because they'll get fried by one bullet. The only other time going headon is a good strategy is using sluggish heavy fighters such as the P-61 or Do217 night fighters because they can't do much else vs fighters. Going head-on vs bombers is a different story because most lack armament in the nose and you can kill the pilot and co-pilot if you're not afraid to fly right at them. It's how I made the He 162 sorta work.
"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everybody else, and nobody was going to bomb them [. . .] They sowed the wind, and now, they are going to reap the whirlwind."