Anyone here play tabletop roleplaying games?

varis
Brigadier

Re: Anyone here play tabletop roleplaying games?

Postby varis » Fri 17 Feb 2017 23:50

We pretty much started with MERP (Middle-Earth) :?

Xeno426 wrote:Amber is a pretty good diceless RPG that you might find interesting.

Amber is superb and I think it fits the setting very nicely. However I don't think it's the best for an absolute beginner, since the typical systems give you tables and you throw a dice and you get the answers, with Amber you have more degrees of freedom and have to make the calls yourself.

Also the setting requires that you read a few of the novels whereas D&D/Middle-Earth is basically your mainstream/cookie-cutter fantasy with orcs, wizards, elves and so on. (Although Middle-Earth has the danger of finding out that you have Tolkien purists in the group who have studied the setting for years if not decades and will complain about stuff like elves having pointed ears, noldor not reacting different from sindar, and your pronounciation of Elvish is very bad too...)

I recall D&D is pretty simplistic and would be easy to pick up by a beginner. Also there's been many new systems during the recent decades, you might want to check out how they answer the same question on roleplaying forums. I'd move from D&D as soon as possible into a setting which you find really interesting or a system which corresponds to your preferences.

I'd say the setting is very important since ultimately you want to tell a story that's engaging and meaningful for you - unless you come from a gaming perspective and all you want to do is to throw some dice, move around tin figures on a hex mat, consult the rulebook, slay some orcs and upgrade your gear, rinse and repeat.

GURPS is one good system to pick once you have your feet wet with RPG already. But there are many options that already have a fame in the RPG community and you may easily find people who are familiar with them.

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Sat 18 Feb 2017 18:33

So the DnD group is back in full force, we've smashed though more of the campaign in the last week than the past month combined.

So things flared between me and the other person hit a high point once we hit a dead end locked out form a murderous spirit. I knew it was something to do with suspect number 1 with the hidden macguffen in his bag, the spirit possessing me also assured that it was him that killed the grand mage person, mostly because she was the one who killed everyone else (sssshhh). After a rather, heated debate, I managed to convince the other party to my side by getting him to try and pin the blame on the ones who were on his side, after a lengthy confession the spirit of the confessor forcefully tore her sprint from his body, it was like a scene straight out of Phoenix Wright!

After solving the mystery and unlocking the chamber of secrets to find that what ever was terrorizing (thankfully) to have found it's long since passed. So after sanctifying the place and looting it dry we decide to head home and get some well mannered rest, I find a wand of holding which gives me a ton of "Hold 'X' " spells on the condition that I am now plagued with constant nightmares of being buried alive but hey, I'm a Kobold, that's pretty par for the course for us anyway. We're greeted by the Burgermeister who sent us out on this quest, the player who was possessed by the killers spirit knew about the Burgermeister's betrayal and forgot to tell everyone else, so when he went out and slapped the Burgermeister, we could only watch in awe as him and his henchmen pummeled him into the dirt (Seriously, none of our reactions were fast enough). After enthusiastically stomping the rouges face into the ground, the Burgermeister turns into this weird frog-person-thing who then smogs up the entire temple with poison smoke. What followed was pretty much one of the hardest fights I've payed in DnD, with this guy being able to knock down me and the other paladin (Pretty much the hardest PC's in the group) in three turns and having a turn after every PC's turn he was constantly one step away from TPKing us, fortunately some nice group heals and a very well needed crit put an end to his crusade.

We return home a bit worse for wear and rest up for a couple of days, before a new counselor, who is a total bitch to me (Which means I hate her and everyone else loves her), send us to investigate an orc raiding party (Which means somethings up, because there are no native orcs in Ravenloft.). After a brief encounter with a couple of blink spiders, we manged to find some camping orcs, or more specifically for me, a very large, tasty morsel of pork which lead to some very upset, hungry orcs. Fortunately, the rouge in charge decides to actually use diplomacy for one and have it not blow up in our face and I'm saved from being the replacement split! We find out though them that there are Yuan-ti inter-dimensional slavers going around messing things around and they're likely the cause so I leave of with a wild from or intrigue and a belly full of indigestion, to see what's going to happen next!

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Tue 7 Mar 2017 05:25

So our DnD group got together with a few newcomers who had never played anything like it before.

They had no idea what hit them when me and my brother did our thing during our first combat. I'm a Serb bard with an accordion and he's a germanic superman barbarian with a zweihander. We have a deal that he only rages when I do my bardic inspiration song. So every time I do that I put on remove kebab as the combat goes on. Our DM goes to great lengths to describe the whole thing with the music still playing and at the end we're all laughing our asses off.
Viker for ingen!

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Tue 7 Mar 2017 07:12

So, I'm free nights again. Horray!

Any games I can sit in on or join?
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Mitchverr

Postby Mitchverr » Sun 26 Mar 2017 22:31

Anyone here into 30k? I have not touched it myself but thought I would give it a try finally, i am looking into collecting custodes because they look cool, this is literally the only reason i am looking to do so, even if custodes are UP or OP its just the way they look and the fluff drawing me in so I can adapt to any kind of game mechanic issues.

Anyone here able to give me some tips with reguards to the core diferences of 30k? The book i need for rules etc is sold out so i cant really get hold of a copy :lol:

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Sun 26 Mar 2017 23:56

What is 30k? Do you mean Warhammer 40k?
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Sun 26 Mar 2017 23:59

30k is based on the massive civil war between the God Emperor and Horus, it fleshes out marines to something more than cookie cutter beefcakes, but I'm not too much of a fan because it only ever really focus' on Space Marines, which IMHO is the most boring part of 40k

orcbuster

Postby orcbuster » Sun 2 Apr 2017 06:24

It is time to put on my DM hat and torment some PCs. Been playing a lot of obsidian games lately and it has inspired me.
Viker for ingen!

orcbuster

Postby orcbuster » Fri 14 Apr 2017 04:59

We now have 2 weekly seperate groups that we are running, the RP germ has really caught us.

Had the best session ever yesterday with our new group (3rd time we played together)

Elf indiana jones inspired rogue
Me playing a gnome craftsman wizard/artificer with the best spec ever: GUNSMITH!
Raised by wolves elf barbarian
And finally the paladin, Bredweth the awkward

this gang is pure magic.
Viker for ingen!

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Sat 15 Apr 2017 11:56

So this week, we almost encountered a TPK, and by flumphs of all things!

So what happened so far is that we saved and befriended a possie of nomadic orcs who seem to have gotten lost in Barovia, in exchange for their compliance, they've asked us to destroy a splinter cell of their original group, sounds easy enough, just a standard orc group nothing too bad as far as shadowfell goes. We'll scout ahead, where the orc tribe will trail us a few day behind, as they are still hurt from an encounter before (long story) and because the splinter cell will be looking for other orcs.

So we find the hideout fairly easily, orcs aren't really known for subtlety, we kill a couple of awaken wolves, probably guard for this orc shaman, fairly easily and find a small cavern that leads to the cliff side of a ravine, where the shaman is holding several prisoners captive. We intervene and by the end of the turn a thunderous smite and a high grapple roll has me dangleing him from the edge of the cliff. Now seeing a 25.5 inch dangling a fully grown orc from the edge of a cliffside must have been pretty emasculating, because the rest of my party figured the battle was over and decided to split and loot the room before the fighting had even ended, unfortunately, it hadn't, and the orc Shaman manages to successfully cast suggest on me telling me to pull him back up, holster my weapon and run towards the exit as fast as I could, which I done with a failed wisdom roll. From there he shouted a message. Still not taking him seriously the mage and rouge only attack him with cantrip attacks and keep to the looting.

It turns out the message was an SOS to all the other orcs if something were to go south, from some of the hidden tunnels 6 orc warriors burst from the walls and start just chopping the party to bits! Now here's the kicker, the party is split up into individuals, about 30-60 ft apart, and orcs get a special ability, where they can move an extra 30ft if attacking a distant enemy, giving them a combat range of about.... 30-60 ft.

Now I don't know if any of you played a mage, but they have the AC equivalent of say... A paper plate... So they chew though him like a loaf of bread, he panics and meta-magics a high level fireball, which then surges his wild magic, he gets a massive surge which causes magic to trigger every turn around him or his body, and the first surge summons a bunch of flumphs around him, now this usually wouldn't be a problem as flumpfs are probably the weakest monster in the game, but the mage goes down due to an upset shaman smacking him with a level 2 spell, and these flumpfs are now unfrightened and more then a little upset at being teleported from their home (and are now more than likely trapped) to the middle of shadowfell! Now not only am I perpetrated from the rest of the party, who are getting butchered at the hands of 6 angry orcs, but there is now a literal meat wall in front of me, making what would take one turn to get there about 4 or 5 turns long and lay on hands is a touch spell...

Now I can't get to reinforcing my team, I can't heal the team and I'm about 100ft away from them, I take a few pot shots with my javelins, I manage to get the final blow on the shaman, but by this time the warriors have chewed up all but me and the dwarven fighter, who was in the next room patting down the captives for items, and the orcs are mad that I've just killed his leader, so I try to lay on hands the nearest person to me (the rouge) and drag him and me back to safety, now unfortunately, these orcs gain on me far too quickly and my Kobold instincts tell me that discretion is the better part of valour, I'm forced to dump his body (Which quickly becomes a elf skewer) cast sanctuary on myself and just run! Now I'm just running though a maze of axes and stingers out to get me (I must have taken about 30 opportunities of attack). But my AC is too high for the flumphs, and the orcs wisdom is too low to get past sanctuary, After a few turns I've managed to get into the forest and the orcs lose me, dragging the two lifeless corpses back into the cave.

Back in the cave they smell the rancid aroma of manflesh and find out the dwarf holding out in her secluded room, now she's managed to, in a stroke of inelegance, tripwire her room up into a little death trap, making several trip traps and smashing the supporting pillars so that the room would crumble if she were to bang the pillars too hard, she manages to kill off three orcs by triggering the room to fall off the cliff once they enter it! The orc champion seeing her leave where three orcs enter, challenges her to a one on one, though a miraculous double crit she manages to beat him with just 4 HP left and managed to stall long enough for the friendly orcs to re-enforce her. Finally resolving what should have been one of the easiest encounters in the game...

Meanwhile, my poor kobold is running back to town, hurt, lonely and afraid (He's terrified of being alone), thinking that he's failed his mission and watched all his friends die. Well let's just say next week will be interesting in terms of role-playing...

TL:DR: Party gets cocky, then gets hammered by orcs, caster summons giant floating jellyfish which blocks the way, my character thinks everyone is dead...