Anyone here play tabletop roleplaying games?

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Re: Anyone here play tabletop Wargames?

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Wed 18 Nov 2015 07:29

Finding out how hard organizing a tabletop RPG is.

we got the books, we've created our characters, but organizing a routine get together with friends is becoming next to impossible. It doesn't help that some of the people are the type that will ditch you for an extra 8 hour session of Fallout 4 :roll: ...

Guggy
General

Anyone here play tabletop roleplaying games?

Postby Guggy » Thu 19 Nov 2015 03:39

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:Finding out how hard organizing a tabletop RPG is.

we got the books, we've created our characters, but organizing a routine get together with friends is becoming next to impossible. It doesn't help that some of the people are the type that will ditch you for an extra 8 hour session of Fallout 4 :roll: ...

Have you considered one of the online clients?

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Thu 19 Nov 2015 06:53

Guggy wrote:Have you considered one of the online clients?

Nah, it's not the same in you're not in the same room as everyone else, and second hand experience in Second Life has convinced me to never play against an online opponent ever...

Mitchverr
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mitchverr » Thu 19 Nov 2015 07:07

Online can work fine, my groups have worked great online, just need people to not get hissy.

Though, my latest group are happy to point out in my dark heresy game that i am a tech priest on a world that thinks mini balista and sail boats are high tech and that i can learn much technology from it then forget to not take it badly when i threaten to zap locals who come to close to the metal man. :lol:

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Fri 18 Dec 2015 08:37

Went looking for some tween novels for my nieces Xmas present.

Brought three of the core 5e DnD books and started a DnD club with my friends! So excite!!!

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Sun 20 Dec 2015 03:13

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:Finding out how hard organizing a tabletop RPG is.

Yeah, RPG I think is a different beast - and maybe worth a thread of its own - due to different scale of commitment. Though, the heavier, complex wargames sure require an "investment" in time and such as well.

With grownups it can be quite a pain. Just the recruitment was a hurdle for our group, took me some 2-4 years to put a small group together. Now it's a nice sci-fi RPG, also it tends to be a wargame, and a game development project...

Playing online can work nicely, if the players prefer that. Commitment to sessions can be an issue, "I'll roll the dice after feeding the baby/eating dinner/submitting lottery coupons for the saturday's draw".

Mitchverr

Postby Mitchverr » Sun 20 Dec 2015 03:42

Yeah, doing RPG via roll20 right now, dark heresy.

So, i found myself in a party of murderhobo's from space, they wanted to try and ambush a space ship landing.... full of armed people!

So, the party

Me the Techpriest, doing tech priesty things, getting upset alot.
Xiena the gardswoman, from a feral world, upsets the tech priest at any given chance.
Alexander the psyker, kills with his mind alot even when not needed.
Priest who wants to cave in chests all the time, also feral worlder.
Assassin who has been missing alot so cant judge.
Coward who is gonna coward, he would be more my side if here too....

The group seems to go for fights over anything else, i want to use intrigue to talk to the main suspect instant "i put a bullet at his face" from Xiena and Alexander saying "i use fireball" at the same time.

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Sun 20 Dec 2015 16:49

So I finished my first sesh of DnD today:

Warning, long story below!

Spoiler : :
It was with me, 2 friends and one friend playing the DM.

The first character, a halfling bard with the name of Redric, was the first character. The second character was played by a friend who seemed very slow to adapt the roleplaying aspect, made a gnomish sorcerer, he came so unprepared he didn't even have a name for his character, so I've nicknamed him "The little one" for now. (His other nickname is "Mouse" from the halfling, as he almost never talked during the campaign)

Being the only one with decent strength, I chose to be the pack-mule, and rolled up a dragonborn paladin called Xiania, a who was the son of a tribal sage who foresaw the damnation of the tribe and made me undergo my transformation as a part of continuing the legacy.

So we meet briefly after I drive off some dogs that were harassing the little ones and decide to travel together, after a short amount of travel we find we are sharing the road with lot of refugees, after some traveling with them, a guardsman tugs me on the arm and reckons I could handle myself in a fight, when I inquire about his statements, he explains that several trails in the back have gone missing and the militia are either too scared or too tired to investigate.

I say that I'll look into it, and he loans us some weapons and armour. I pick up a hooked glaive and a chain mail shirt, while Redric got a padded vest and a shortsword and dagger, Little One grabbed a bow.

We backtrack (With redric somehow charming me into acting as his mount.) the paths and find a trail from a caravan veering off the path, followed by tiny, human-like feet. After convincing the town militia to help guide us though the area with them, we find a hidden cove near a waterfall, having the militia set up camp, we decide to enter the cave before it gets too dark, following the river we enter a side cove too dark to enter, when Little one sends out dancing lights to see the way, we surprise a bunch of Goblins who were sent as a forward scout, surprising both parties!

Panicking, Redric, suspects an ambush and casts grease on the bridge that separates us and them, Little One tries to shoot his bow, only to roll a natural 1 and de-string his bow, giving himself a nasty whip in the process, one of the goblins tires to get in a better position, only to slip on a rock and knock himself out, the last goblin sees this and panics, running off screaming. Sighing on the sheer debarcle that unfolded around me, I waded across the river and detained it.

We bind and gag the goblin, and rope him to my back, and we continue on. Unfortunately the goblin from earlier alerted them and set up an ambush, being at the front and the biggest target, I'm hailed by a massive flurry of sling fire from behind two upturned oak tables, this is were I find out an unforeseen character trait, my character has a very short temper! After getting pelleted in the face by a few rocks and a bolt in the shoulder, my character goes into a fit of rage, screaming his lungs out and swinging at the nearest oak tree, seeing their opportunity, Redric casts sleep on the other group before they shoot me in the back, and Little One greases up the back entrance before re-enforcements arrive.

Swinging at the crossbow man, I finally manage to snag him, doing so much damage I tear him in two with my glaive, covering me in it's blood and guts, entralled by the kill, I rear up and let a blood curling scream, scaring the crap (Perhaps literally) out of the group that isn't asleep, they all try to run, but slip on the grease. As one of the gets on his hands and knees, I manage to snag him with the hook of my glaive and fling him like I was playing lacrosse, showering the room in blood and goblin bits. The other goblin runs, screaming.

However the captain of the possie regains his composure, and tries to attack me. Only to get hit by a glob of acid summoned by the sorcerer, I then slash him with the glaive, as he tries to attack me, Little One then shoots an arrow into him, deflecting the blow I then strike him with the blunt end, causing him to stumble into the grease and slip over. In the matter of 3 turns, this poor bastard has been burnt by acid, slashed with a blade, shot with an arrow and the had his teeth knocked by blunt force, and the fallen and sprained himself, as he tries to get back up, a firm kick to the guts by me incapacitates him. Redric then emerges from the other table, having slit the throats of the other creatures in their sleep.

All this time, we had forgotten that I had a bound and gagged goblin on my back this entire time! I can't imagine what's going though his head, chained to a near two meter madman, yelling and screaming as it minced up some of his closest comrades and just completely mutilates his trusted captain with as many techniques as possible! Not to mention he probably saw Redric killing the other group in cold blood. This guy's going to have one hell of a form of PTSD!

Oh, did I mention my characters is lawful good?

TL;DR: My character goes mental, does horrific things he didn't think he could do!

Had a whole load of fun, might start writing up a DM in my spare time!

Also, thinking of starting a Roll-20 account, what's the experience with it from any users?

Mitchverr

Postby Mitchverr » Sun 20 Dec 2015 18:18

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:Also, thinking of starting a Roll-20 account, what's the experience with it from any users?

Really good in my mind even for people with a free account, you can pay to get packs to expand upon the games you play as a DM etc if you want, but its good, it has measuring, grid systems, dice rolling where no accusing of cheats, the DM can hide his rolls and prep before somethings going on..... Lots of good on it, deffo recommend.

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Sun 20 Dec 2015 19:36

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:So I finished my first sesh of DnD today:

Warning, long story below!

---

TL;DR: My character goes mental, does horrific things he didn't think he could do!

Hehe, sounds like a good session, and nobody died stupidly ;) The grease was a nice element :)

Sounds like a fun party, at least it's not one of those munchkin squads. I suppose you could use 1 more fighter for optimal setup, though I guess it might be a bit different in DnD.

Somehow I was tricked also into a new campaign in Middle-Earth, once again. We're 2 rangers, 1 sinda seer... and ... drumroll ... 1 dwarf fighter(?) - seems all our Middle-Earth campaigns have one of those.

So something a little different. Somehow RPGs tend to be rather combat oriented. I guess it's the easy thing... lessee, we got Middle-Earth or whatever, what can we do? Ok I know, let's go fight some orcs! Though that's not completely authentic, but then again, mixing an elf and a dwarf... I'd prefer a more authentic style, maybe say how about bribing someone to let you into the fortress instead of fighting off 20 guards? I think say DnD doesn't even have social skills, but nothing stops you from creating a different story.

In the sci-fi campaign I'm running, I plan to take it to a bigger war than we've probably seen in any of our campaigns. Thousands of combatants per side in a really epic space battle, wonder how it all is going to work. There's gonna be a gradual ramp-up - we already had one large operation with a few dozen ships, though we only played out the 8 in the players' group.