Anyone here play tabletop roleplaying games?

varis
Brigadier

Re: Anyone here play tabletop roleplaying games?

Postby varis » Thu 11 Feb 2016 01:30

We just played a really big battle as our RPGs go - practically the first major battle in what is geared to become a massive war between two hostile starfaring civilizations.

The wing/supergroup of the characters was executing a pre-emptive strike against an enemy installation that was still under constuction. Only, they walked into a trap and were intercepted on the way. There were some very aggressive moves by the commanders on both sides - the enemy had two forces pincering down on the friendlies from both sides, and the commander decided to turn towards the one with just one capital ship. The enemy forced an engagement in deep space.

The friendly supergroup was out in almost full force with 1 light attack frigate, 5 assault class vessels and 14 corvettes. The enemy is technologically superior but they had fewer numbers on this engagement. With some good calls, the numbers advantage and a truckload of luck, the enemy was taking heavy casualties and began to withdraw. There was a shootout between the opposing frigates that left both parties heavily damaged. In the end the friendlies walked away with less than 30 casualties, a marginal victory that will affect slightly how the campaign will be progressing.

We've noticed the players are developing feelings for some of the NPCs and getting emotional about missile volleys. Still, today's session was almost more like a wargame than an RPG. I'm pretty satisfied about how the combat system works, I've drummed up the light mechanics rather quickly, although the world itself is like 25 years of age and some of the ship types and many concepts date back quite a bit as well.

hansbroger
Lieutenant General

Postby hansbroger » Mon 29 Feb 2016 02:16

Haven't done much tabletop gaming but really enjoyed this article
https://20thcenturywargaming.wordpress. ... wargaming/
Projectnordic in game! will likely see you on pact/red dragons/french!

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Tue 1 Mar 2016 19:29

I'm starting to really think I should have given the topic a different title :roll:

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Tue 1 Mar 2016 19:31

Just get rid of the "tabletop"

You don't even really need the tabletop to play DnD and others honestly...

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Tue 1 Mar 2016 19:33

On the topic of talbetop, one of the friends I have has been moping for no reason what-so-ever, I think I'll kick him out and try again with an online suggestion.

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Tue 1 Mar 2016 20:19

I've been interested in Twilight 2000 or doing some post cold war gone hot setting where some nations managed to survive the after math.

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Sun 6 Mar 2016 18:02

Just a little callout that there is a Pathfinder humble bundle that includes almost all their core books for like $15 for the next couple of days.

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Sat 19 Nov 2016 04:52

So my local gaming shop had a bit of a flash sale!

(I also brought $70 worth of lizardmen and all the paint needed to make them... help)

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Wed 23 Nov 2016 07:31

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:Made me a D20 account, anyone else got one?

You mean Roll 20? Yes, my display name is Xeno426 (just like here).

Let's see, I've played a bit of Vampire: The Masquerade, Dungeon & Dragons 3.0/3.5, D&D 4 (didn't like it), D&D 5 (don't like it), Pathfinder, Exalted (like this game), and Shadowrun. Of these, I've played Pathfinder and Exalted online; the Exalted game actually went quite long and only stopped because the GM had real-life shit come up. I recorded most of the sessions as well.

Hell, even did some stuff in MechWarrior 3rd edition. Game only lasted one session, though. :(

If you want any advice, I'd be happy to help. It really helps to make sure everyone is on the same page from character creation onwards; what kind of game they want to play, what they expect in terms of content, rules for what is and is not allowed for characters, etc. Personally, I have trouble not creating powerful characters as a knee-jerk reaction because I played a lot of games with quite a bloodthirsty GM, and even in my current group the GM will make very powerful opponents; that might not be the case for you, but if you have one guy that does that he can mess up a lot of encounters because what is challenging for the rest of the group he will breeze through, and what is challenging for him will murder the rest of the party.

hansbroger wrote:Haven't done much tabletop gaming but really enjoyed this article
https://20thcenturywargaming.wordpress. ... wargaming/

Wrong kind of tabletop game.

Check out "A Time of War", which connects into "BattleTech: Total Warfare"

Links together tabletop wargaming with tabletop roleplaying pretty well. :P
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Wed 23 Nov 2016 07:41

I had a idea for a wild-west style campaign once. Kind of like of like what shadowrun had going on, Just more old western. However our groups biggest salt lord was against it because he's only into generic fantasy.