Anyone here play tabletop roleplaying games?

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Re: Anyone here play tabletop roleplaying games?

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Fri 25 Nov 2016 12:45

I wonder if we should try out a Wargame DnD sometime...

The Timezone differences may be too much though :\

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Fri 25 Nov 2016 18:43

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:I wonder if we should try out a Wargame DnD sometime...

Depends. I'm available on between 0500 to 0800 GMT on Tuesday and Thursday. On Saturday, I'm generally available from 0500 (0400 if needed) to 1900 GMT. As for Sunday, I'm usually limited to about 0500 to 1100 GMT.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Fri 25 Nov 2016 18:53

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:I wonder if we should try out a Wargame DnD sometime...

I will make a Starship bard.

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Tue 29 Nov 2016 02:49

Mmm T-72BU cleric? :)

You figure the ACs and whatnot would go nicely to d20?

Why not Amber diceless. With the Pattern ability you could Walk into different Metas :lol:

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Thu 1 Dec 2016 06:12

Well, just finished playing a 3 hour session the other day where I didn't get to play a single turn.

We were exploring an abandoned manor when one of the kleptomaniacs single-handed ran into an obviously trapped room and had to fight a golem by himself, saved only by the downstairs half of the party once they heard the commotion (My half was too far away to hear it) but only after the wife of the kleptomaniac ran in fell into the same trap as him, go charmed and golf swung half his face off (It was the only hit she had made that day too!).

After we re-grouped (the only way our characters knew something went awry was that the first thing we see is a screaming half-elf covered from head to two in glass splinters). The other half, somehow though the chaos, managed to find the next piece to the puzzle that we were doing, which opened up a secret crypt that had... Well for spoilers I'll say "Obvious bait" in the center of it.

Me being obsessively paranoidthe only smart one of the group decide to try and figure out the rest of this crypts puzzle instead of taking the bait, my friend, who is just as paranoid as me, goes outside and draws a circle of anti-undead around the entrance, just in case. The rest of the team, however is not content to wait for us and takes the bait, which, lo and behold, is cursed, traps and tries to start killing them. Alright, no problem, I am a paladin I got rez and shield spells, scrolls if anything goes wrong, worst comes to it I can just tank though and carry the party to the safe zone.... Right?

Nope, as soon as I turn around, the big bad of this section is staring me in the face, probably not all to impressed with the previous encounter we had, where I threw a book at her face, lets out a super-mega-ultra-death move which I'm super vulnerable to, OHKOing me before I even get time to raise my shield and goes on to KO the other healer we have. So the one time I'm in combat, I'm just instantly downed, and all I can watch is this bait and BBEG take down our party members one at a time while my character lay face down in a puddle of his own urine.

I don't think I've laughed quite as hard as I did, in the first half of the game in a long time, but on the other hand, I am a little bitter at just being insta-downed like that, especially as I was the only character to have down nothing wrong there. I hope my little kobold doesn't die, I only played two sessions as him and I've grown quite attracted to him already.

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Thu 1 Dec 2016 06:54

Oh, wow. Gotta wonder how the GM was setting things up if he was able to OHKO the Paladin, generally one of the tankier classes.

See, this is why I always try to have something like a teleport or fog cloud ready just in case.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Thu 1 Dec 2016 06:59

Xeno426 wrote:Oh, wow. Gotta wonder how the GM was setting things up if he was able to OHKO the Paladin, generally one of the tankier classes.

It's from 1st party campaign setting, which why I kept things vague, even the GM seemed a bit surprised what happened.

See, this is why I always try to have something like a teleport or fog cloud ready just in case.

I didn't even get a reaction, just saw the big bad and downed basically.

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Fri 23 Dec 2016 16:37

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:tag

So, have you guys started a new campaign or did you hit the "redo" button on the party wipe?

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Sat 24 Dec 2016 14:57

Xeno426 wrote:
Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:tag

So, have you guys started a new campaign or did you hit the "redo" button on the party wipe?

We've had two sessions since then, unfortunately it's on hold for the next couple of weeks due to this "Christmas holidays" thing...

Party managed to survive that encounter by one of the other party members showing up that week from being absent during the beginning of the encounter (He was poisoned in the session prior to the fight, so our excuse for him missing was that he was in the latrine, spewing his guts out). He shot a level 3 magic arrow and managed to crit, with a staggering 92 damage! One hit killing the banshee that cause me so much trouble.

Now the next thing that happened was something that looked like it came straight out of an act the Three Stooges of something. The ranger than runs to the druid who is in a critical condition and gives her a healing potion, only for the sentient amour to collar grab him and give him the express ticket to pound town. The druid successfully escapes the amour by polymorphing into a sparrow and flying out of range of the amour, the next turn she smugly announces that she's going to cast cure light wounds forgetting that she is a) a bird and b) is 30ft in the air, landing face first into my stable but unconscious kobold sending both of us into another round of death saving throws. After he was finished face-palming the mage risks getting out of his circle of "Not getting fucked" and heals the bard, who than gets up and heals the fighter with a healing touch, and then forgets about the (Now sentient) trap, which he steps on, the trap then sucks him up like an amoeba, proceeds to go all woodchipper on his 12 AC ass and spit him out in a critical condition. Fortunately, the fighter had found a ring of healing and managed to have raised three members of the party next to him. From there on, some good rolls and a buffed fighter finally managed to take out the amour, the trap being slow and weak was easy to finish off from there.

At no point none of the party had considered resuscitating the little kobold in the corner, you know, the paladin, the party healer, you know, the one with Mass Cure Wounds at the ready. Both me and my Kobold were not happy with them at the end of the session (I didn't get a single turn in 2 hours). At the end of the dungeon we found a massive stash of gold, only to find out it was cursed (Of course) at this point my Kobold doesn't care, a curse of greed would be considered a badge of honour in Kobold kingdoms anyway! We return home without the quest item we were looking for to a disappointed village, my Kobold goes out back to huff what's probably an entire packet of cigarettes and went to bed, hoping that the next day would go better...

... It didn't...

The next session comes about, and the leader of the villager thinks that this quest item might be hidden in some ancient temple that has some cryptic message on one of the ceremonial scrolls from the temple. Despite being the dumbest person in the party only I can decipher the message due to me being able understand several obscure and forbidden languages. I find out that the the temple is actually a front for trapping wandering souls and feeding them into some sort of lich like creature. Now being a paladin of Kurtulmak my kobold hates two things, beings that trap and torture souls and spirits... and gnomes. Liches fall under the former (And we can't rule out the latter as well). So my kobold goes into a full tantrum upon knowing this, including, but not limited to, angrily stomping on the scroll, screaming draconic vulgarities strong enough to make the lizardfolk blush and literally foaming at the mouth! Despite these... "Strong" protests, the party decides "Hey fighting a lich is a good idea, despite the fact that we almost wiped at a much less challenging boss" and carried my tense and unwilling body to this temple with them.

So we get into this temple (Procing every single trap along the way, I'm fine because I'm at the back, basically being dragged by a leash). Now either this temple knows how much I hate it, or has some confounding evil within it cause I can feel this dark presence constantly toying with me, slowly sapping my will, by the time were in the center of this temple I've already gained a level of permanent madness (Which basically has stopped me from ever being happy again). the ranger summons a bird familiar to scout along the back room, it perches on a menacing statue of a faceless male with 5 skulls around it, the skulls than proceed to come to life and zap the life out of this poor sparrow. From there they fly out the back and in a surprise round, carpet bomb the entire party with fireballs and leave all but me and the mage standing (sense a reoccurring theme here?) fortunately I'm barley scathed at this point and go for the mass cure wounds to get the rest of the party up, after the human mage wasted some very high level spells on these skulls (fireball doesn't affect the floating, magic, flaming skulls? Who knew?) a few blessed javelins from the ranger and an acid bomb from the goblin wizard mage make short work of the skulls.

My poor kobold is not looking very well at this point, he's in the middle of one of the biggest things he hates the most, with an evil prescience playing at his mind, with a party he just witnessed getting scalded in the blink of his eye. We've left off with him being borderline hysterical literally being held up by the Goblin wizard hugging him and reassuring him that everything will be fine.

It's going to be fun roleplaying what happens in the next session.

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Sat 24 Dec 2016 17:48

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:He shot a level 3 magic arrow and managed to crit, with a staggering 92 damage! One hit killing the banshee that cause me so much trouble.

Level three magic arrow? Level 3 of what?

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:the next turn she smugly announces that she's going to cast cure light wounds forgetting that she is a) a bird and b) is 30ft in the air, landing face first into my stable but unconscious kobold sending both of us into another round of death saving throws.

Not level 6 yet? Otherwise she should have taken the Natural Spell feat (can cast while wild shaped). Still, a sparrow should be able to move 40 feet easy, and thus cross the 30 feet in a single move action and cast the spell in the standard action, no problem.

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:From there on, some good rolls and a buffed fighter finally managed to take out the amour, the trap being slow and weak was easy to finish off from there.

Haste. A hasted fighter has greater average damage output than a fireball. This is why I play a god mage.

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:a curse of greed would be considered a badge of honour in Kobold kingdoms anyway! We return home without the quest item we were looking for to a disappointed village, my Kobold goes out back to huff what's probably an entire packet of cigarettes and went to bed, hoping that the next day would go better...

So, you're a lawful good kobold paladin? I gotta hear your character's backstory.

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:Now being a paladin of Kurtulmak

Hold on, Kurtulmak is Lawful Evil, so your paladin would have to be Lawful Evil as well. This is fine; Unearthed Arcana had the Paladin of Tyranny that works fine, with some helpful individual converted it to Pathfinder.

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:after the human mage wasted some very high level spells on these skulls (fireball doesn't affect the floating, magic, flaming skulls? Who knew?)

Looks like your mage needs lessons in playing god.