Anyone here play tabletop roleplaying games?

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Re: Anyone here play tabletop roleplaying games?

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Sun 25 Dec 2016 09:15

Xeno426 wrote:Level three magic arrow? Level 3 of what?

No idea, can't remember and am unfamiliar with the ranger kit, it was a level 2 hunters mark (+2D6) and I think an explosive arrow (I think 4D6)

Not level 6 yet? Otherwise she should have taken the Natural Spell feat (can cast while wild shaped). Still, a sparrow should be able to move 40 feet easy, and thus cross the 30 feet in a single move action and cast the spell in the standard action, no problem.

Nope, we're level 5 right now, and it was the fact that she was in the air and never mentioned that she was going to land before she un-polymorphed. DM's love doing that kind of thing to players!

Haste. A hasted fighter has greater average damage output than a fireball. This is why I play a god mage.

IIRC it was shield, GWM, and haste he had in the end.

So, you're a lawful good kobold paladin? I gotta hear your character's backstory.

He is Neutral good, Paladin of oath of devotion, he was originally going to be an oath of revenge, but I liked the spells in devotion more.

He was a dragon disciple at a younger age, when studying draconic text he was found to be one of the very few who could practice divine spell casting, so his dragon master and clan declare him to be "Touched by Kurtulmak with the sprint of the dragon."

A raiding party wiped out his clan and his dragon master told him that in order for his kind to survive, he needs to become as strong as them and lead his kind to greatness.

Hold on, Kurtulmak is Lawful Evil, so your paladin would have to be Lawful Evil as well. This is fine; Unearthed Arcana had the Paladin of Tyranny that works fine, with some helpful individual converted it to Pathfinder.

As of 5e, a Paladin can have a different alignment to the god he/she is serving, as long as he/she is serving him in some way that benefits the god.

To the guys credit, his character has gone a little crazy a swell, an earlier mission he got the same sort of situation I'm in now, which meant his irrationality was in character. What perplexed me was that of all the spells, he tried fireball on the fire skulls...

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Sun 25 Dec 2016 09:29

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:and it was the fact that she was in the air and never mentioned that she was going to land before she un-polymorphed. DM's love doing that kind of thing to players!

Asshole GM's.

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:As of 5e, a Paladin can have a different alignment to the god he/she is serving, as long as he/she is serving him in some way that benefits the god.

OOOOOOHH! You're playing 5E. I thought you were playing Pathfinder. Ignore my Natural Spell feat comment.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Sun 25 Dec 2016 09:39

Oh come on, as someone who DM's this sort of shenanigans is what makes the cold, dead heart of the DM tick. Besides, as you could probably tell, the party isn't much known for thinking the whole thing though, it's nice the DM gives them a gentle "Reminder" every now and again.

I also love how you thought I was talking about 3.5e, as I thought you were talking 5e because the new evil Paladin paths have just been announced.

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Sun 25 Dec 2016 10:07

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:I also love how you thought I was talking about 3.5e Pathfinder

ftfy
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Thu 5 Jan 2017 17:56

DnD group is back from Chistmas!

Man this shit is like heroin!

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Fri 6 Jan 2017 18:34

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:DnD group is back from Chistmas!

Man this shit is like heroin!

Yeah, really wish my friends were consistent in their playtime. But now one has a kid and the other won't play on Sundays when one of the three Football teams he really likes plays.

Plus my work schedule means that I'm not available during the weekday for the most part.

Once I pay off my car and a couple other things, I'm quitting the job and getting a different one with better hours. :evil:

Ripa' Moramee
Master Sergeant

Postby Ripa' Moramee » Tue 10 Jan 2017 06:07

What are some good tabletop RPGs to start with? I want to try it with my friends but I'm not quite sure what's good for beginners. Does anyone have any suggestions?
I live for the flame war

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Tue 10 Jan 2017 07:31

Ripa' Moramee wrote:What are some good tabletop RPGs to start with? I want to try it with my friends but I'm not quite sure what's good for beginners. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Well, 5th Edition of D&D is pretty easy to get into, though I prefer the more advanced Pathfinder. If you want a more freeform game, try one of the White Wolf titles like Vampire: the Masquerade (or Requiem, if you want). I'm personal to Exalted, but because of how Charms work in that game it is *not* simple (unless you just play mortals, but that's kinda boring).

Amber is a pretty good diceless RPG that you might find interesting.

Another very good system is Fate. Few dice and fairly easy to understand and play.

I would suggest finding some videos of people playing some games while explaining the mechanics to see if the rules interest you.

Ripa' Moramee
Master Sergeant

Postby Ripa' Moramee » Tue 10 Jan 2017 10:21

Xeno426 wrote:Well, 5th Edition of D&D is pretty easy to get into, though I prefer the more advanced Pathfinder. If you want a more freeform game, try one of the White Wolf titles like Vampire: the Masquerade (or Requiem, if you want). I'm personal to Exalted, but because of how Charms work in that game it is *not* simple (unless you just play mortals, but that's kinda boring).

Amber is a pretty good diceless RPG that you might find interesting.

Another very good system is Fate. Few dice and fairly easy to understand and play.

I would suggest finding some videos of people playing some games while explaining the mechanics to see if the rules interest you.

Thanks, I'll take a look
I live for the flame war

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Sun 22 Jan 2017 11:51

Both 5e DnD and Pathfinder have released some very good starter kits if you want to try those out.

So a few big things have happened in my group and now there is a shit ton of tension within me and a couple of characters.

We've found an underground passageway that seems to go to the living quarters of this.. "Temple" we're exploring and found an entire ghost community down there, they seem friendly enough but we note something being suspicious when one of the ghosts suddenly disappears and one of the characters (Who just had to be a dark elf) suddenly wants to wear pretty dresses and dance everywhere.

Suspicions are confirmed when a ghost gets upset at one of the characters for stealing his shit, seems to disappears and now the character is acting all paranoid about certain rooms, which he won't tell why. To make matters worse, we see him pocketing some type of artifact, getting real tired of this "Mysterious personality" bullshit, I rock him up with a zone of truth, he smugly laughs at me (Out of character) because the DC is only 13 and he has several buffs to is cha, only to get a natural 1, the table seeing this reacts accordingly. However, because Zone of Truth is probably one of the most useless spells in game (You can avoid or refuse answering despite being affected as long as you're "Not lying") we still don't know what this is. However he does say one key statement in avoiding a direct answer which is "It's be better of for everyone if I we're to just die off with this in my possession rather then you knowing what this is. Which is probably one of the worst things you could say to an oath of devotion paladin.

I say to him,in no uncertain terms, that because of what he's just said, if he were to go down in any way, that as a Paladin of Devotion, I am to have to let him die rather than try to heal him. Once again, he smugly shrugs me off as we have another paladin that he's made a bargain with. Forgetting two things. First, that she's a whildchild Oath of Vengeance with only a limited healing ability and a personality which changes with the wind, and second, which is that I'm the only character so far, that hasn't been reduced to 0 and eaten shit at some point in the dungeon, having already saved two people from death.

Now knowing that these ghosts are capable of possession in this area, I cast protection from good and evil (Which stops possession), I narrowly avoid being possessed by yet another pissed off ghost, I quickly book it out of there while the rest of the party is getting possessed left, right and center. I do manage to get to a safe zone, just before my spell ran out, thinking I was safe, I take a little rest while the rest of the party sticks around the area and does possessed shit.

However the party being a typical DnD party, destroy the spirits locks during their shenanigans and I don't get so much as a "sudden feeling of cold" Before a wandering spirit possesses me, to make matters worse, it's the one the one who killed everyone else that is now a ghost. However in being possessed I understand why she done it and sympathies with her, pretty much making us best buds in the same bod. She was also looking to steal a hidden book I just so managed to happen upon during our travels and stashed away before knowing about it's importance, what's better is the party doesn't know what it is and because I just stashed it due to it being a passing interest, no one is suspicious I have it or is trying to take it away from me.