New Nation: Iran

steppewolf
Second-Lieutenant

Re: New Nation: Iran

Postby steppewolf » Tue 30 Aug 2016 11:04

Killertomato wrote:
We already have finland. Not sure why a red/blue mix would be a problem.

There's not a country in the ME that doesn't have a mix, except maybe Syria and Yemen.

Finland would probably receive limited stuff to make the deck functional; but having M1A2 and Smerch in a same deck it's crazy and certainly far from game's scope which is Cold War. Time frame it should be anyway capped earlier than it is and many designs shouldn't be there as they're clearly 2000s stuff.

A Kuwait deck would have a lot of unicorns, true, but not much else and would be like a sandbox deck where you can take every unicorn you like. Is this what we are looking for?

47andrej
Lieutenant

Postby 47andrej » Tue 30 Aug 2016 19:32

Zulfiqar tank line
Zulfikar 1 (1993 prototype)
zulfiqar_1.jpg
zulfiqar_1.jpg (80.91 KiB) Viewed 459 times

www.military-today.com wrote: The existence of the Zulfiqar main battle tank was revealed in 1994. It is also referred as the Zolfaqar. This MBT is named after a legendary sword. Six prototypes were completed and tested in 1997. It is an indigenous design, which uses components and systems of the US-supplied M60 MBT and Russian T-72, which is manufactured in Iran. It is estimated that about 100 of these tanks are deployed in Iran by the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

This main battle tank has a welded steel hull and turret. The front arc is reinforced with composite armor.

The Zulfiqar is armed with a fully-stabilized 125-mm smoothbore gun, fitted with an autoloader. This gun and associated automatic loader are understood to be from the Russian T-72 MBT. Vehicle has a relatively small turret.

Secondary armament consists of a roof-mounted 12.7-mm machine gun. It appears that this main battle tank lacks a coaxial machine gun.

This main battle tank is fitted with Slovenian computerized fire control system.

Vehicle has a crew of three, including commander, gunner and driver.

Zulfiqar 2
zulfiqar_2_l1.jpg
zulfiqar_2_l1.jpg (71.8 KiB) Viewed 459 times

Zulfiqar 2 is a further development of the Zulfiqar 1. It is an interim MBT, which served as a test bed for the Zulfiqar 3. It is fitted with new engine, and extended chassis. It also has a new turret with sloping front and bustle at the rear. This may indicate removal of the autoloader, or possibly, a new autoloader;

Zulfiqar 3 (1999 prototype)
Photo shows tank on a 2012 parade
Zolfaghar3Tank1.jpg
Zolfaghar3Tank1.jpg (225.56 KiB) Viewed 459 times

The Zulfiqar 3 main battle tank is a further development of the Zulfiqar 2. This main battle tank is sometimes referred as the Zolfaqar. It is named after a legendary sword. This MBT is clearly based on the Zulfiqar line, but also resembles the US M1 Abrams. Its development has been completed late in 1999. It is believed that this main battle tank recently entered serial production. It is likely that the Zulfiqar 3 is less sophisticated, than the latest Western main battle tanks.

This main battle tank has a welded steel hull and turret. Its front arc is reinforced by composite armor. Protection was improved, comparing with the previous production Zulfiqar 1.

The Zulfiqar 3 It is armed with a fully-stabilized 125-mm smoothbore gun, similar to that of the T-72. This gun is fitted with an autoloader. Ready to use ammunition is stored in the turret bustle.

Vehicle has an upgraded fire control system.

The Zulfiqar 3 is operated by a crew of three, including commander, gunner and driver.

The Zolfiqar 3 is powered by an unspecified diesel engine, which is likely to be similar to that of the Zulfiqar 2. It is speculated that it develops around 1 000 hp.

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Tue 30 Aug 2016 20:57

steppewolf wrote:
Finland would probably receive limited stuff to make the deck functional; but having M1A2 and Smerch in a same deck it's crazy and certainly far from game's scope which is Cold War. Time frame it should be anyway capped earlier than it is and many designs shouldn't be there as they're clearly 2000s stuff.

A Kuwait deck would have a lot of unicorns, true, but not much else and would be like a sandbox deck where you can take every unicorn you like. Is this what we are looking for?

Finland might get F/A-18.

It's a Kuwait-Saudi nation, like ANZAC isn't just New Zealand... The M1A2s would come from Saudi, they were ordered in 1989 and delivered in 1993.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

orcbuster

Postby orcbuster » Tue 30 Aug 2016 21:42

Non-US M1A2s would have base M1A1 armor levels as the export tanks do not incorporate the depleted uranium armor kits found in later US models and upgrades.
Viker for ingen!

Killertomato

Postby Killertomato » Tue 30 Aug 2016 21:51

orcbuster wrote:Non-US M1A2s would have base M1A1 armor levels as the export tanks do not incorporate the depleted uranium armor kits found in later US models and upgrades.

Non-US M1s got new armor packages for each export nation. They're not as good as the US variants but they're an upgrade over the base model. I'd expect Saudi M1A2s to have 20 AV max.

The 120mm shell would be KEW-A1, which is like tungsten M829A1... so maybe 20 AP?

The gun acc stats won't change, of course, so it'll still be a helluva tank but it isn't going to be the M1A2 we all know and love.

The tanks the other GCC nations got before 1995 though... were UAE Leclercs or Omani Challenger 2s downgraded at all?
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Tue 30 Aug 2016 23:40

Killertomato wrote:
orcbuster wrote:Non-US M1A2s would have base M1A1 armor levels as the export tanks do not incorporate the depleted uranium armor kits found in later US models and upgrades.

Non-US M1s got new armor packages for each export nation. They're not as good as the US variants but they're an upgrade over the base model. I'd expect Saudi M1A2s to have 20 AV max.

The 120mm shell would be KEW-A1, which is like tungsten M829A1... so maybe 20 AP?

The gun acc stats won't change, of course, so it'll still be a helluva tank but it isn't going to be the M1A2 we all know and love.

The tanks the other GCC nations got before 1995 though... were UAE Leclercs or Omani Challenger 2s downgraded at all?

The Omani challenger has a better engine at 1500hp and I think improved sights and computers. Oddly they are only now talking about upgrading the British challengers systems but apparently not the engine or gun odd at least for the engine when one is available

Killertomato

Postby Killertomato » Tue 30 Aug 2016 23:59

Vulcan 607 wrote:
The Omani challenger has a better engine at 1500hp and I think improved sights and computers. Oddly they are only now talking about upgrading the British challengers systems but apparently not the engine or gun odd at least for the engine when one is available

That's Challenger 2E.

Oman got Challenger 2 when the British Army did, so I assumed they got the stock model...

47andrej
Lieutenant

Postby 47andrej » Sat 3 Sep 2016 23:08

Are there infos out on Irans AGMs? Besides Seacobras TOW?

Killertomato

Postby Killertomato » Sun 4 Sep 2016 06:02

47andrej wrote:Are there infos out on Irans AGMs? Besides Seacobras TOW?

They had a lot of Mavericks if I recall correctly.

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Mon 5 Sep 2016 04:49

Mike wrote:
Fade2Gray wrote:
QUAD wrote:Iran would have meh infantry...

47andrej wrote:Infantry:
G3A6 Army Battlerifle
MG3 (licence produced)

Glorious REDFOR buzzsaw infantry! Commie Jager spam ftw!

Everytime an ATGM connects, I want a speaker shattering "ALLAH ACKBAAARRRRR"!

Only one?
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?