World news thread

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Re: World news thread

Postby Vulcan 607 » Wed 12 Jul 2017 22:57

Fade2Gray wrote:On the plus side I don't think you guys are anywhere as bad as the Darth/Fade love fest that got going regularly back in the day. :mrgreen:

What happened to darth and lone for that matter?

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Wed 12 Jul 2017 23:06

Vulcan 607 wrote:
Fade2Gray wrote:On the plus side I don't think you guys are anywhere as bad as the Darth/Fade love fest that got going regularly back in the day. :mrgreen:

also delfo + poptart

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Thu 13 Jul 2017 01:22

Shrike wrote:
Vulcan 607 wrote:

also delfo + poptart

Delfo doesn't post anymore, but I think Poptart got banned.
Courtesy of KattiValk

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Thu 13 Jul 2017 02:29

delfo got banned too...

The week before I had a bunch of questions about Bulgaria. :(
[Non-included Nation] Belgium - Now with Spreadsheet!
[Non-included Nation] Pakistan

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Thu 13 Jul 2017 02:32

Shrike wrote:Agreed. I never understood why people try to counter extreme ideologies by embracing its opposing ideology. The Alt right is always going on about how communism and colored people are trying to destroy their beloved western values, and some how by embracing fascism or some form of authoritarianism they will some how save themselves. Same can be said for Black Bloc and ANTIFA who chose to embrace some form of extremism to counter extremism.

It doesn't help when people that don't ascribe to such extreme views—centrists—are derided with strawmens arguments, being treated like they all follow the golden mean fallacy.

FrangibleCover wrote:delfo got banned too...

I bet it was from the shitstorm that occurred in the Yugoslavia thread that the Finns started. :D
Last edited by Xeno426 on Thu 13 Jul 2017 04:25, edited 1 time in total.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Thu 13 Jul 2017 03:01

Well no ideology is perfect, let alone free from radicals like radical centrists. Still curious to see where Macron and his party does in France.

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Thu 13 Jul 2017 03:12

Xeno426 wrote:
FrangibleCover wrote:delfo got banned too...

I bet it was from the shitstorm that occurred in the Yugoslavia thread that the Finns started. :D

*sips whiskey*

That is one interesting theory.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Thu 13 Jul 2017 04:24

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 38041.html

There's a reason there's a deep mistrust of the police force in the US, particularly by minorities. When we see riots break out over another police shooting of a black person or violence against police forces, regardless of the justification, I think we should consider why those people felt it was necessary. Otherwise we're simply doomed to have more of those violent actions. Martin Luther King, Jr. thought similarly.
Martin Luther King, Jr. wrote:...I think America must see that riots do not develop out of thin air. Certain conditions continue to exist in our society which must be condemned as vigorously as we condemn riots. But in the final analysis, a riot is the language of the unheard. And what is it that America has failed to hear? It has failed to hear that the plight of the Negro poor has worsened over the last few years. It has failed to hear that the promises of freedom and justice have not been met. And it has failed to hear that large segments of white society are more concerned about tranquility and the status quo than about justice, equality, and humanity. And so in a real sense our nation's summers of riots are caused by our nation's winters of delay. And as long as America postpones justice, we stand in the position of having these recurrences of violence and riots over and over again. Social justice and progress are the absolute guarantors of riot prevention.

I think it's a problem, particularly in the US, that the only solution to crime is seen as stiff penalties and prison time. It feels like people assume criminals are just born that way rather, and ignoring the heavy influence that circumstances and living conditions play a large part of the problem. There's a similar issue with drug addiction, and the view on it is often similar as well, when past evidence suggests that the circumstances of someone's life play a large part in an addiction.

Policy is being driven more by ideology that has little or no test in reality, rather than evidence guiding policy. The "alternate facts" movement plays a large part of this problem, I think.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Thu 13 Jul 2017 05:53

Xeno426 wrote:Policy is being driven more by ideology that has little or no test in reality, rather than evidence guiding policy. The "alternate facts" movement plays a large part of this problem, I think.

Evidence based policy? Sounds like something the people from r/neoliberal always say.

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Thu 13 Jul 2017 07:27

Xeno426 wrote:It doesn't help when people that don't ascribe to such extreme views—centrists—are derided with strawmens arguments, being treated like they all follow the golden mean fallacy.

The thing is, there are actually people like that *cough*Boogie*cough*...

Shrike wrote:Evidence based policy? Sounds like something the people from r/neoliberal always say.

Eh, all political subreddits are crap, neo-liberal is one of the better ones but it too, has brigaded it's share of subforums.

Also, it's quite funny, but here a lot of the time neo-liberalism is considered a bad thing and a lot of evidence points it it increasing poverty in New Zealand.