World news thread

Admiral Piett
Colonel

Re: World news thread

Postby Admiral Piett » Sun 19 Mar 2017 18:39

Killertomato wrote:The language barrier is probably a huge problem here. Hell, look at how much info there is for modern Japanese armor...

Yeah, that is a big part of it. It doesn't help that lots of IJA records were destroyed at the end of the war, so there is a lot of stuff we will likely never know.

Markenzwieback
Lieutenant

Postby Markenzwieback » Sun 19 Mar 2017 18:48

Doinize wrote:
Markenzwieback wrote: Unless I missed something, it still is a democratic party within the limits of our constitution and laws. Like it or not.

You missed something. The AfD regularly walks the line between far-right populism and far-right extremism. Höckes Dresden speech is just one example. Some elements of the party have clearly unconstitutional goals.

And still, the party is not yet banned.

(Dont get me wrong, I am not supporting AfD. This is just my opinion as a democrat.)

Doinize wrote:
Wrong! https://www.berlin.de/polizei/verschied ... statistik/ BKA only publishes the one for the entire of the Federal Republic. Every LKA publishes their own for their respective state.

The BKA statisitcs consist of the LKA statistics dont they?

I have no idea how the BKA statistic is compiled.

Bougnas
Major-General

Postby Bougnas » Sun 19 Mar 2017 18:55

Admiral Piett wrote:
Killertomato wrote:The language barrier is probably a huge problem here. Hell, look at how much info there is for modern Japanese armor...

Yeah, that is a big part of it. It doesn't help that lots of IJA records were destroyed at the end of the war, so there is a lot of stuff we will likely never know.

The picture makes me think that this may be either two prototypes of the same tank or two variants of it as they seem really similar when it comes to the chassis but the tirrets look slightly different.

Looking forward that book about the unknown japanese tanks, it sounds really exciting.

Btw aren't some japanese post war vehicles also very secretive? IIRC there's a high caliber single rocket launcher on a truck that has only threads in japanese.

Also, what about the Russian archives? The Soviets maybe found something in mandchuria during the 1945 campaign.

Killertomato
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Killertomato » Sun 19 Mar 2017 19:16

I don't think they're secretive, I just think westerners can't read about the information.

Most Japanese readers/speakers who know about this stuff focus on the navy and aircraft, I'll bet.
orcbuster wrote:USSR gets prototype marsupials, why would you need moose when you got stuff with kickers like that AND transport capability? And I'm not even gonna START on the french Marsupilami, I don't even think thats a real animal! Why no trolls for Norway?

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Sun 19 Mar 2017 19:18

Admiral Piett wrote:Some newly discovered Japanese armour. Our understanding of IJA tank development is so shockingly poor that we are still in the process of uncovering new tanks, some of which actually saw combat, like they are Amazonian beetle species or something. :lol:

http://sensha-manual.blogspot.ca/2017/0 ... tanks.html

That's super cool, although it's dashed inconsiderate of Imperial Japan not to keep proper records in English for us. I've never really known much about Japanese armour so it's comforting to know that nobody else does either :mrgreen: .

Bougnas wrote:Also, what about the Russian archives? The Soviets maybe found something in mandchuria during the 1945 campaign.

This reminds me, I found an old book of my father's while looking for cool stuff for Steel Division called "German and Allied Secret Weapons of WW2". There's some good stuff in it (Tonsil, for example) and it does its level best to avoid the Nazi Techwank and talk about cool Allied projects and lots of stuff that really made it into service, but it's beginning to show its age, especially in terms of the Eastern Front stuff being written without any access to Soviet documents. For starters, the Soviet Union apparently don't count as Allies (Neither do the minor Commonwealth states).

The most egregious example of the Iron Curtain ruining things is the artist's impression of the Maus, done when we didn't know the Soviets had found one intact and assumed it was just a paper project. The Saukopf-style mantlet is interesting, as is the coaxial Kwk 40 75mm :D . I'm sure there's lots else wrong with it if you take a proper look, I'll post a pic when I get home tonight.

Edit: In all it's glory. Now that I look again it seems like the hull is known and only the turret has had to be invented. It's not at all bad, considering!
Maus-Impression-1976-Compressed.jpg
Maus-Impression-1976-Compressed.jpg (153.56 KiB) Viewed 125 times
Last edited by FrangibleCover on Mon 20 Mar 2017 00:54, edited 1 time in total.
[Non-included Nation] Belgium - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Hungary - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Pakistan

Doinize
Lieutenant

Postby Doinize » Sun 19 Mar 2017 19:24

Markenzwieback wrote:
Doinize wrote:
Markenzwieback wrote: Unless I missed something, it still is a democratic party within the limits of our constitution and laws. Like it or not.

You missed something. The AfD regularly walks the line between far-right populism and far-right extremism. Höckes Dresden speech is just one example. Some elements of the party have clearly unconstitutional goals.

And still, the party is not yet banned.

(Dont get me wrong, I am not supporting AfD. This is just my opinion as a democrat.)

Neither is the NPD, a party officially considered to have unconstitutional goals...
Just because they arent banned dosnt mean your not an asshat for i.e. voting III. Weg or Die Rechte, the MLPD or, just as an example, a party that cant get rid of members with open antisemitic views and/or connections to violent Neo-Nazis for the simple fact that a large part of the party do want these people in the party...

Markenzwieback
Lieutenant

Postby Markenzwieback » Sun 19 Mar 2017 19:48

Doinize wrote:Neither is the NPD, a party officially considered to have unconstitutional goals...

Simply because its considered no threat to the democratic order (by being so insignificant).

Doinize wrote:Just because they arent banned dosnt mean your not an asshat for i.e. voting III. Weg or Die Rechte, the MLPD or, just as an example, a party that cant get rid of members with open antisemitic views and/or connections to violent Neo-Nazis for the simple fact that a large part of the party do want these people in the party...

There is a pretty big difference between those parties and the AfD. About the same as if I would say that all people voting for 'Die Linke' are asshats, simply because some elements in said party are a) definitely aiming for something else than our current democracy and b) supporting violence against the police or the armed forces.

Doinize
Lieutenant

Postby Doinize » Sun 19 Mar 2017 22:32

Markenzwieback wrote:
Doinize wrote:Neither is the NPD, a party officially considered to have unconstitutional goals...

Simply because its considered no threat to the democratic order (by being so insignificant).

Doinize wrote:Just because they arent banned dosnt mean your not an asshat for i.e. voting III. Weg or Die Rechte, the MLPD or, just as an example, a party that cant get rid of members with open antisemitic views and/or connections to violent Neo-Nazis for the simple fact that a large part of the party do want these people in the party...

There is a pretty big difference between those parties and the AfD.

Yeah i know that, I just meant that a party not being banned says nothing about that party being assholish or not...

About the same as if I would say that all people voting for 'Die Linke' are asshats, simply because some elements in said party are a) definitely not supporting the democratic system and b) supporting violence against the police or the armed forces.

You can very much make that argument. Die Linke has some mayorly dickish elements, linksjugend ['solid] has a bad trackrecord of antisemitism for example. The Wagenknecht wing is also pretty shit.
Both the AfD and Die Linke have individual party members surveyed by the Verfassungsschutz. Granted, only one of these partys wants to put addicts and mentally ill people in jail instead of hospitals and restirct religious freedoms for muslims and jews. (inb4 muh leftist sauce, yes, but Joachim Wieland is still one of Germanys most seasoned experts on constitutional law, even if the people who interviev him are demSocs...)

Lord Helmchen
Major-General

Postby Lord Helmchen » Mon 20 Mar 2017 00:13

Doinize wrote:
Markenzwieback wrote:

There is a pretty big difference between those parties and the AfD.

Yeah i know that, I just meant that a party not being banned says nothing about that party being assholish or not...
A party being "assholish" isn't forbidden though and, more important, depends on your personal opinion. Only because it is your opinion doesn't mean it's correct, someone else might consider it good. Not everyone is a leftists, there's a huge variety of political opinions in the world, a right-conservative will not call it "assholish" but correct.
About the same as if I would say that all people voting for 'Die Linke' are asshats, simply because some elements in said party are a) definitely not supporting the democratic system and b) supporting violence against the police or the armed forces.

You can very much make that argument. Die Linke has some mayorly dickish elements, linksjugend ['solid] has a bad trackrecord of antisemitism for example. The Wagenknecht wing is also pretty shit.
Both the AfD and Die Linke have individual party members surveyed by the Verfassungsschutz. Granted, only one of these partys wants to put addicts and mentally ill people in jail instead of hospitals and restirct religious freedoms for muslims and jews. (inb4 muh leftist sauce, yes, but Joachim Wieland is still one of Germanys most seasoned experts on constitutional law, even if the people who interviev him are demSocs...)

Well, most of the things are, how Wieland mentions, against the constitution though can be changed with a 2/3rd majority. Actually it's not even against the constitution as it says that all except article 1 and 20 can bei changed. Theoretically even the part about the freedom of religion could be changed i.e. is not directly against the constitution but only against it's current state.
I do disagree on the part about drug/alcohol addicts though.

All in all it neither makes the Party "assholish"(only in some people's opinion which is okay) nor acting against the constitution. Furthermore Mr. Wieland might be correct but he's not in the position of deciding wether or not what he said is correct.

Doinize
Lieutenant

Postby Doinize » Mon 20 Mar 2017 01:20

Lord Helmchen wrote:Well, most of the things are, how Wieland mentions, against the constitution though can be changed with a 2/3rd majority. Actually it's not even against the constitution as it says that all except article 1 and 20 can be changed.

Yes, sort of, to change articles 2-19 you'd need a constitutional court that is complicit (aka not doing its fucking job). Article 1 will always apply, meaning any change that threatens human dignity cant pass, and as articles 2-19 pretty much are just protecting human dignity (they are in the section called Fundamental Rights ffs) it is virtually impossible to change these parts.

Theoretically even the part about the freedom of religion could be changed i.e. is not directly against the constitution but only against it's current state.

Nope, freedom of religion is a human right. Article 1 applies.

I do disagree on the part about drug/alcohol addicts though.

So mentally ill people in jail is ok or did you just miss that?

Mr. Wieland might be correct but he's not in the position of deciding wether or not what he said is correct.

No, but as a former member of the constitutional court he may have a fucking clue about whats constitutional or not.