World news thread

Admiral Piett
Colonel

Re: World news thread

Postby Admiral Piett » Mon 20 Mar 2017 18:50

The new leader of the Alberta Progressive Conservative Party was chosen over the weekend, and to the surprise of basically no one a right-of-centre conservative who wants to merge the party with the Wildrose (another centre-right party in Alberta) won handily. This leaves moderates out in the cold, as both the new PC leader and the Wildrose are more "right" than "centre." The bulk of Albertans are dead centre: socially progressive and moderate fiscal conservatives. This currently leaves the majority of Albertans without a party to vote for that truly reflects their views. The Progressive Conservatives held that ground for four decades before imploding due to the oil crash (not their fault), an arrogant attitude (certainly their fault) and a political scandal (definitely their fault). It is beginning to look like Albertans will have two choices next election: centre-left (NDP) or centre-right (Wildrose-PC Merger Party).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.4032078

Doinize
Lieutenant

Postby Doinize » Mon 20 Mar 2017 20:17

Lord Helmchen wrote:
Doinize wrote:
Lord Helmchen wrote:I doubt that these laws cannot bei changed, I read a Zeit article (printed) ~2 years ago that the article about the right for asylum i.e. No. 16 CAN be changed. IIRC it was former constitutional court judge Di Fabio. So that would interfere with your opinion.

They can be changed but they cant be subtantially changed or even abolished, the substance of the article has to remain the same.
So apparently you're wrong there http://www.tagesspiegel.de/politik/rupert-scholz-ueber-fluechtlingspolitik-da-liegt-die-bundeskanzlerin-falsch/12450400.html.

Lol no, the right to asylum is in a little thing called The Universal Declaration of Human Rights good luck getting that one past Article 1...
And yes, I know its not a binding contract, but it is the most important standard the constitutional court applies regarding Article 1. It could theoretically be done (again, if the constitutional court forgets waht its job was) but at that point it would probably be much easier just to pass a new constitution...

Btw is it only me or is that red just really straining on the eyes?

Markenzwieback
Lieutenant

Postby Markenzwieback » Mon 20 Mar 2017 22:52

Doinize wrote:And yes, I know its not a binding contract, but it is the most important standard the constitutional court applies regarding Article 1. It could theoretically be done (again, if the constitutional court forgets waht its job was) but at that point it would probably be much easier just to pass a new constitution...

Btw is it only me or is that red just really straining on the eyes?

May I remind of Grundgesetz, article 16a(2)?

(1) Politisch Verfolgte genießen Asylrecht.
(2) Auf Absatz 1 kann sich nicht berufen, wer aus einem Mitgliedstaat der Europäischen Gemeinschaften oder aus einem anderen Drittstaat einreist, in dem die Anwendung des Abkommens über die Rechtsstellung der Flüchtlinge und der Konvention zum Schutze der Menschenrechte und Grundfreiheiten sichergestellt ist. Die Staaten außerhalb der Europäischen Gemeinschaften, auf die die Voraussetzungen des Satzes 1 zutreffen, werden durch Gesetz, das der Zustimmung des Bundesrates bedarf, bestimmt. In den Fällen des Satzes 1 können aufenthaltsbeendende Maßnahmen unabhängig von einem hiergegen eingelegten Rechtsbehelf vollzogen werden.

AfD isn't that wrong when they point out how the majority of the people claiming refugee status are technically illegals. ;)

The regular Merkel policy of 'sitting it out' simply worked against Germany this time, after her denying help to EU border states to prevent the massive influx of people.

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Mon 20 Mar 2017 23:28

Speaking of merkel, her translator said that she was a globalist. Did merkel actually say that in German?

Markenzwieback
Lieutenant

Postby Markenzwieback » Tue 21 Mar 2017 01:32

Shrike wrote:Speaking of merkel, her translator said that she was a globalist. Did merkel actually say that in German?

Do you have a video source or the event where that happened? I'd check the translation and report back.

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Tue 21 Mar 2017 02:08

Markenzwieback wrote:
Shrike wrote:Speaking of merkel, her translator said that she was a globalist. Did merkel actually say that in German?

Do you have a video source or the event where that happened? I'd check the translation and report back.

Small correction on my end, her trans translator said:
I believe globalisation ought to be shaped in an open-minded way but also in a fair way. Freedom of movement within the European Union, for example, is a very important element of our economic progress, of peace, has been for many decades.
https://youtu.be/_KVAlptaXcc?t=15829
https://youtu.be/mKe5I7Iof4Y?t=989

I haven't been able to find a version of this press conference without the translator. I find it bizarre that someone would use the term globalization in time of conspiracy theories, so I was wondering if she actually said that or not or if it was just translator error.

Markenzwieback
Lieutenant

Postby Markenzwieback » Tue 21 Mar 2017 02:42

Shrike wrote:
Markenzwieback wrote:

Small correction on my end, her trans translator said:
I believe globalisation ought to be shaped in an open-minded way but also in a fair way. Freedom of movement within the European Union, for example, is a very important element of our economic progress, of peace, has been for many decades.
https://youtu.be/_KVAlptaXcc?t=15829
https://youtu.be/mKe5I7Iof4Y?t=989

I haven't been able to find a version of this press conference without the translator. I find it bizarre that someone would use the term globalization in time of conspiracy theories, so I was wondering if she actually said that or not or if it was just translator error.

Well, 'globalisation' doesn't really have that negative of a connotation in German(y) compared to the United States. That might be the reason why she uses it.

chykka
Brigadier

Postby chykka » Tue 21 Mar 2017 07:45

Admiral Piett wrote:The new leader of the Alberta Progressive Conservative Party was chosen over the weekend, and to the surprise of basically no one a right-of-centre conservative who wants to merge the party with the Wildrose (another centre-right party in Alberta) won handily. This leaves moderates out in the cold, as both the new PC leader and the Wildrose are more "right" than "centre." The bulk of Albertans are dead centre: socially progressive and moderate fiscal conservatives. This currently leaves the majority of Albertans without a party to vote for that truly reflects their views. The Progressive Conservatives held that ground for four decades before imploding due to the oil crash (not their fault), an arrogant attitude (certainly their fault) and a political scandal (definitely their fault). It is beginning to look like Albertans will have two choices next election: centre-left (NDP) or centre-right (Wildrose-PC Merger Party).

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/ ... -1.4032078

You mean it wasn't Kevin O'Leary? The fight for the center aha, More like don't say anything offensive or take a position that could make your party platform stand out in anyway. Only party that seems radical these days is the Green party and May wont even talk about Nuclear :/ so it will fall flat has no solid energy plan. Liberals are saying they are allabout being 'responsible' with the Oil sand project yet, the mess has already been made. I wouldn't want to live near Athabasca... Was nice but seriously sure we sell for good currency. Issue is we are a resource economy and the extraction and shipment to market is less profitable than if we were the ones doing the Refinement. Also First time I saw MSN media bot Visit the Forums, ahaha. If I could say something about that here I would :)

Doinize
Lieutenant

Postby Doinize » Tue 21 Mar 2017 10:16

Markenzwieback wrote:AfD isn't that wrong when they point out how the majority of the people claiming refugee status are technically illegals. ;)

Yeah, according to Dublin III, most people that have refugee status in Germany should probably have it in Greece instead.
I trust your understanding of Europe goes far enough to know why western european member states wont go and deport about 1,5mio refugees and migrants into Greece and Italy right?

Markenzwieback
Lieutenant

Postby Markenzwieback » Tue 21 Mar 2017 10:37

Doinize wrote:
Markenzwieback wrote:AfD isn't that wrong when they point out how the majority of the people claiming refugee status are technically illegals. ;)

Yeah, according to Dublin III, most people that have refugee status in Germany should probably have it in Greece instead.
I trust your understanding of Europe goes far enough to know why western european member states wont go and deport about 1,5mio refugees and migrants into Greece and Italy right?

Not according to Dublin III, according to our constitution. There is a huge difference between international law and our constitution. And it's exactly the way you gift political ammunition to people on the right, when you simply ignore the basic legally binding values our country has. That's where the entire 'Merkel is a criminal and needs to be locked up' thing even comes from.

Biggest shame to me is that the only reason the border protection order for the federal police, which was drafted right before this entire ordeal started in 2015, was not put into effect is, because nobody had the guts to take political responsibility for it. With that, they gave away all control they could have had over the situation.