The wishlist thread

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Re: The wishlist thread

Postby Vulcan 607 » Fri 10 Feb 2017 08:34

McNash wrote:
Vulcan 607 wrote:Eugene to buy C&C and save the series

For that EA must go bankrupt, and for that Madden, Fifa, Plant vs Zombies and Battlefield series must fail, and for that millions of people need to die worldwide, and the only way may be a nuclear exchange, but then that would require France not to be targeted or somehow have their territory protected from the attacks and still have enough people left with enough infrastructure to have the spare money to buy videogames.

I think it's cheaper and easier to start a new franchise from scratch.

You are a traitor to Kane!

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Fri 10 Feb 2017 08:54

Razzmann wrote:
Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:I'll have you know, that Edmund is, in fact, my waifu!

You know what the funny thing is? Dragon Commander was supposed to be Larian's flagship and Original Sin was supposed to be the smaller game, helping to finance it. Funny how it turned the other way around :P

Probably because isometrics pretty much considered dead during that time period, it really wasn't until Original Sin, PoE and Wasteland 2 came about, to propose and iso was to get kicked out of the AAA club.

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Fri 10 Feb 2017 09:41

Would love a film on the RAF during D day as well as films on the battle of Mirbat the battle of Gloster hill and operation Barras

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Fri 10 Feb 2017 17:14

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:You'd think, but history has shown how fast EA is willing to hang out it's companies to die once the money cows can't be milked anymore....

Had you have asked me 6 years ago, I would have laughed at the concept of Maxis or Bullfrog going bankrupt but here we are.

The problem there is that even though they hung out those companies to dry, it doesn't mean they dropped the IPs. EA still owns the rights to SimCity, for instance.

Though it makes one wonder when Bioware will get the axe.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

chykka
Brigadier

Postby chykka » Fri 10 Feb 2017 17:15

I dunno if EA can sell me on anything these days anymore.

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby another505 » Fri 10 Feb 2017 18:11

Age of mythology 2
Rise of nations and rise of legends 2

A good fantasy RPG game on PC..... (not sci fi)
Of Salt

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Fri 10 Feb 2017 18:34

another505 wrote:A good fantasy RPG game on PC..... (not sci fi)

There's also Tyranny.

And don't forget

I am very happy for this resurgence of CRPG games. Torment looks good as well (though it's sci-fi, which you don't want), but I'm holding off until full release. I don't do early access.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

another505

Postby another505 » Fri 10 Feb 2017 18:45

Xeno426 wrote:
another505 wrote:A good fantasy RPG game on PC..... (not sci fi)

There's also Tyranny.

And don't forget

I am very happy for this resurgence of CRPG games. Torment looks good as well (though it's sci-fi, which you don't want), but I'm holding off until full release. I don't do early access.

hmmmm... both are from paradox and obsidian, would it be a dlc fest?

Xeno, if you played both, can you tell me the pros and cons for each? I rather just get 1, once i am into a game, i would be really into it and rpg games do take a lot of time :)

Party size and plots are really important to me. I didnt really enjoyed divinity 1 because the limitation of 4 ppl party, and only 4 other members that you can choose....

Also mods, mods of lyfe
Of Salt

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Fri 10 Feb 2017 20:12

another505 wrote:hmmmm... both are from paradox and obsidian, would it be a dlc fest?

Obsidian isn't known for being very DLC heavy. They're known for well-written RPGs that tend to have a lot of bugs. PoE, however, has almost no bugs to speak of. Tyranny looks like it might get some "DLC" that effectively acts like an expansion pack, but nowhere near the shitshow that Paradox's grand strategy games have become.

PoE had two expansion/DLC packs. I wouldn't be surprised if Tyranny gets similar treatment.

another505 wrote:Xeno, if you played both, can you tell me the pros and cons for each? I rather just get 1, once i am into a game, i would be really into it and rpg games do take a lot of time :)

Tyranny is a shorter game (but with quite a lot of paths you can take in the story) that has a neat system where important in-world events and objects have highlightable text that provides a popup describing the thing. It helps to get yourself familiar with the setting (and both games very heavy in setting and lore) that can be turned off if you don't want it or just ignored.

PoE is a much longer game, upwards of 70 hours, with less handholding in the story department. Exposition can be heavy in places as well.

The combat of the two games is similar in many ways. In Tyranny, heavier armor items reduce deflection (the ability to avoid a hit or to only be grazed) and increase recovery (time between executing commands) but provide more armor (damage reduction, basically). The magic system is based on a glyph combination; a base glyph sets the type (fire, lighting, atrophy, etc), a second sets the type of affect (cone, close single target, long-range missile, line, etc), and then other glyphs change other effects like increasing damage, increasing duration of effects, etc. Each glyph has a Lore requirement (a skill) and the total Lore required to use a spell is based on the combined Lore costs of each component glyph. It makes for a really interesting system of spells. All spells and abilities function on a cooldown timer, with some spell types (large area, line) having cooldowns over a minute long. Most are around 30-40 seconds (there's a glyph to reduce this cooldown).

PoE has loads of spells from several different caster types, depending on the class they may be castable once per rest (like wizards in D&D and the previous Baldur's Gate/Icewind Dale games) or on a per-encounter basis. Some can be cast as many times as you want, but have a cooldown. PoE's story has some really interesting reveals and rather tips some conventional fantasy setting staples on their heads. Tyranny plays with setting staples as well, since the premise of the setting is that the evil overlord that fantasy stories are always fighting against... won.
Sauron is the victor. The Dragon Armies succeeded in taking over Krynn. You're in charge of dispensing the overlord's law. You are kind of a Judge Dredd, if you will, except the government you work for is rather explicitly evil (though the overlord doesn't want to lord over a wasteland). Still, the twists in Tyranny's story are less provoking than in PoE.

I'd rate Tyranny as the easier game to get into, but PoE being the deeper one that also requires a lot more from the player to get immersed.

another505 wrote:Party size and plots are really important to me. I didnt really enjoyed divinity 1 because the limitation of 4 ppl party, and only 4 other members that you can choose....

Tyranny limits you to four people, while PoE has six. In PoE, you can also hire adventurers in the inns, basically letting you create new characters to accompany you if you don't like the game's NPC companions or you want a class/build that the NPCs don't provide (there's no Thief/Rogue NPC in the base PoE game except in the tutorial section). In Tyranny, you're stuck with only the NPCs the game provides, though you could go solo if you want.

another505 wrote:Also mods, mods of lyfe

Pillars of Eternity has quite a few mods, but the problem is that each new patch requires the mods be rebuilt, so a lot of mods no longer work right, with the most common problem being that edited spells have lots of pink all over where they should have a transparency layer.

There are some mods, but not a whole lot due to Unity not being the most mod-friendly engine.
http://www.nexusmods.com/pillarsofeternity/?
http://www.nexusmods.com/tyranny/?

another505

Postby another505 » Fri 10 Feb 2017 21:30

Seems like POE wins me over

The hiring adventurers in inn where you can make your own character definitely is a HUGE thing for me

thanks xeno! going to watch some POE gameplay later
Of Salt