Steam Sales

damoj
First Sergeant

Steam Sales

Postby damoj » Sat 1 Jul 2017 12:40

What have you purchased/are thinking of purchasing/desperately wanna purchase but money problems?

I just picked up Flashpoint Campaigns, it's pretty damn fun! I'd rather a turn-based board-game like this, than the fairly lackluster RD campaign... makes me appreciate the effort that went into European Escalation's single-player.

varis
Brigadier

Re: Steam Sales

Postby varis » Mon 3 Jul 2017 04:33

Pretty much grabbed everything on the ARMA 3 shelf.

There's a bundle for Stellaris but I already have the discounted parts. Still having mixed feelings about this game but parts of it do grow on you. Pretty much the same story for all space 4X games since Master of Orion 2.

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak is deeply discounted (the campaign is quite nice and athmospheric!) and Istrolid and Fractured Space you should grab too, although both are free to play. But Fractured Space has discounts, have some early bird/founder pack already though ;)

Battlezone 98 Redux? Anybody played that one? Was a great game some 20 years back.

StalkerDellaNote
Lieutenant

Postby StalkerDellaNote » Mon 3 Jul 2017 16:04

Oh mann, the list goes on, but summer money is tight and I didn't put away a steam sale nest egg like last year.. it's been 110+°F for the last 3 weeks so electricity bill alone is $300 and well, we don't work during the summer unfortunately

Rising Storm Vietnam

R6:Siege (so I can play on PC as well)

Assetto Corsa + DLC

I want DCS but I'm genuinely waiting for a Harrier or at least some more support type aircraft

Lowkey want FSX Steam Edition for Multiplayer nonsense

There's more, but those are the main highlights I can think of
"Re: Winter maps?" wrote:Maybe if they ever set Wargame in Scandinavia.

Admiral Piett
Colonel

Postby Admiral Piett » Mon 3 Jul 2017 16:06

I didn't get anything this time around actually.

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Mon 3 Jul 2017 17:15

Admiral Piett wrote:I didn't get anything this time around actually.

Me either. Everything I wanted has a a low, or no discount.
Courtesy of KattiValk

another505

Postby another505 » Thu 6 Jul 2017 07:51

Me too

Honestly no mood to try new games or even play much nowadays
Of Salt

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Thu 6 Jul 2017 09:57

another505 wrote:

Me too

Honestly no mood to try new games or even play much nowadays

When I was bit younger I use to look forward to tons of games releasing and it was always great to see demos release for certain games.

I miss demos, they seem to be a rare sight these days. Mostly because big companies and developers alike think they are risk to potential sales. They are right in a way, since most releases these days are lazy or just not all that great if not both.

Lot of bad games lately that aren't worth buying or games that could have been good if the devs had gone a bit a further. Plus buggy releases, dumbed down sequels, and just lazy development. The release of Mafia and Mass Effect this year and last year has me convinced that AAA companies just don't care anymore. Seems to be the goal of companies to make fake pre-rendered gameplay and good trailers with the intent of generating hype for day 1 sales.

Things like bugs and the gameplay these days seem to be secondary concern as long as hype and graphics are met first. Although lately it seems even in game graphics are starting to become secondary. Plus now we are starting to see things like day 1 dlc, in game item stores with micro transactions, and paradox style dlc of cutting out features that should have been in the main release as standard practice. Even then the games aren't worth playing or paying for because of the gameplay or bugs.

Devs also seem to think everyone wants to play an interactive movie. Cut scenes are cool and all, but you know I want some form of challenge, not mash F to pay respects. Or walk up the glowing door to proceed to the next part of the level. I do like "open world" as concept too, but devs seem to be going the wrong way about it. For them open world just means big open area with theme park style placement of missions and lots of repetitive tasks that often involve lots of boring travel between A and B. I'd prefer they go about it differently like rewarding players for their exploration. For example there is a road that to a machine gun nest, but the players look hard enough they will find a road that leads around a mountain so you can avoid the machine gun nest fight sequence all together.

Also do some fallout deus ex 1 stuff where you can kill important early before they have time to do their evil plan. Stop railroading the story.

Besides AAA devs, even indie devs seem to be making all the same mistakes. However even worse considering there are tons of abandoned early access games and scam kick starter campaigns. Plus steam's lack of quality control has enabled tons of garbage to pollute the store page. All things considered, I feel like we are moving toward another game market crash. Steam has reached a sort of monopoly status in terms of online retail of games, however it has stagnated because of it. There have been some competitors like GOG, origin, and some cases Humble Bundle.

There are gems out there, but you have to dive in a ocean of brine or have some dive in for you. Even having someone dive for you is becoming a fading thing since paid reviewers are now a thing, Seems like things down the road are going to be bleak for the industry.

another505

Postby another505 » Thu 6 Jul 2017 10:45

Re about open world game

I was playing nier automata and was very disappointed about it. There is barely any buildup tension, somehow you just face the next boss
The combat is repetitive with enemies that are very similar to each other. The open world is mundane since exploration really doesnt reward, is a big world that is destroyed but at least fallout has cool buildings, weapons and enemies to get and destroy

Saw my sis playing ff15 and it seemed a lot more fun. The combat is meh but it seems to be a very fun open world. Sad thing i watched her during the last part of the game too and saw thr ending...

In the end, dont have much mood to start a massive jrpg game
Of Salt

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Thu 6 Jul 2017 11:01

Well my experience is a bit different but I tend to go with a picky diet of indie games. Maybe the innovation is moving in that direction - would like to see some really stellar and groundbreaking releases too. The highlights recently have been small innovative indie games (Istrolid) or refreshing titles in old genres (Fractured Space, WO Warplanes&Warships, Rimworld, Cities Skylines, maybe even Stellaris).

Also I'd think the industry and gamers should look into rethinking old and tired genres. Death of RTS is a good example of this kind of an evolution, and I think space 4X games might the next to go - it's been hard to produce real hits that bring some significant new in this space (Sins of a Solar Empire was more of an innovative RTS title than traditional turn-based strategy thing) and the better games for the same audience indeed seem to be more tactically oriented RTS (Deserts of Kharak, Eve Online, etc). ARMA could be another good example of taking a BF style DM/CTF game and turning it into a more relaxed sandbox (although there is some simulation mixed in and series is quite old already).

I doubt the games market will crash in the next 1-2 years, same for kickstarter projects. More there will be increased hype and more money for grabs as people have more to spend with the intensifying economic cycle. Either we'd need some really big fiascos or a turn in the macroeconomy. And even Star Citizen seems to have been delivering lately. At the same time the industry has started transforming with the proliferation of indie titles (primarily enabled by Steam and Steam sales) and new development approaches. I think you should look more into that side of things.

Shrike wrote:Things like bugs and the gameplay these days seem to be secondary concern as long as hype and graphics are met first. Although lately it seems even in game graphics are starting to become secondary. Plus now we are starting to see things like day 1 dlc, in game item stores with micro transactions, and paradox style dlc of cutting out features that should have been in the main release as standard practice. Even then the games aren't worth playing or paying for because of the gameplay or bugs.

Gameplay could be because games have gone mainstream, but I'd think that happened years ago, could there be a lag in the industry? Many players are casual and don't stay long with the game.

For bugs, I think that could be a natural development with the industry becoming more competitive in terms of what features you have to offer vs costs of development. The bugs get ironed out (and DLC introduced) only in the first 6-12 months after release. That said we've seen a few releases over the years that were great and interesting games but they were so buggy at release that the gaming population gave up and didn't return even though one year later everything was fixed and the game offered a great experience, there were just no players. Big AAA developers have strong brands which protect against that - many fanbois believing that things will get better with the next DLC/patch.

Object199
Warrant Officer

Postby Object199 » Thu 6 Jul 2017 18:06

Thought about getting HoI IV or Far Harbor, looked at the price tags and went nope, maybe next time.