Flight sim advice

StalkerDellaNote
Lieutenant

Flight sim advice

Postby StalkerDellaNote » Mon 3 Jul 2017 16:41

I'm curious if y'all have any idea what might be some good flight sims.. FSX just doesn't cut it graphically even with all the pay-ware I have

I've looked into Aerosoft, but IDK yet
Prepar3d looks really enticing
And of course DCS is on my radar, but I need an upgrade in the HOTAS department so I can't efficiently fly nimble aircraft, I'm sort of limited to jumbo jets and support aircraft, as I use a yoke

I used to flight sim alot as a child and well into my teen years thanks to my grandfather but it's been a good 5 years since I've done a sim.. now he's retired and moved to Florida and he gifted me his equipment so I've decided to get back into flight simming

Any suggestions comrades? I'm most experienced with B737's and thankfully most of the equipment he's handed down to me is made to sim B737 flights, like a 737 style throttle quadrant and Boeing style flight panel so I'd prefer something with quality Boeing aircraft support
"Re: Winter maps?" wrote:Maybe if they ever set Wargame in Scandinavia.

varis
Brigadier

Re: Flight sim advice

Postby varis » Mon 3 Jul 2017 23:58

StalkerDellaNote wrote:And of course DCS is on my radar, but I need an upgrade in the HOTAS department so I can't efficiently fly nimble aircraft, I'm sort of limited to jumbo jets and support aircraft, as I use a yoke

Do you do rotary wing? FWIW I've been flying Ka-50 with just a stick, and it was working nice for some fun flights. Maybe I use "dumbed down" settings and I guess the curves are a bit steeper if you go to multiplayer and so. But I understand many people who have these games can't really make proper use of the equipment on the field :) I didn't play Black Shark 2 for too long, partly because there was a bit of a hardware (as in processing power) hurdle too back then.

Mephistopheles
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Mephistopheles » Tue 4 Jul 2017 11:24

I am myself a flightsim enthusiast owning multiple ones since the 90s.
DCS is a good choice for realism and fun.
You can choose between multiple aircraft/Helicopter modules that offer amazing realism with clickable cockpits and profesionall flight models or the "more arcady" Multi-aircraft module Flaming cliffs 3 (F-15C, Mig29, SU25T, Su27,SU33,A-10A). I suggest to use FC3 models in multiplayer when you are new. Getting kills with the Pro-modules can be hard for a newbie but much more rewarding.
Expect in Multiplayer the F-15C to spam you with AMRAAMs or the Su27/33 Using it stealthy R-27ET on you.

Professional Flight modules include (My favorites):

Mirage 2000C (my Favorite! Really awesome and very realistic and so far the only modern Interceptor with a completely clickable cockpit and realistic flight modell. Especially the avionics are Awesome.)

A-10C Warthog This is the most modern version of that epic airplane. The most complex module in the game. with Most realistic Avionics and weapon system. Expect to read for hours the manual for each system before flight.

F-5E Tiger II A very realsitic professional flightmodel of an very simple and limited fighter. No awesome weaponsystem. But lot of fun to fly. Great if you want some Dogfight action. Best in Dogfights vs F-5s

Mig-21 Fishbed I love that module too. An Old epic Soviet jet and the only one in game that comes with a nuclear bomb (No cool Special effects! Not much destruction!) But also requires a lot of studying. Best for Dogfights against F-5s

There are also alot more Pro modules:

WWII : Bf-109, Fw-190, P-51 Mustang, Spitefire

Koreanwar era: Mig-15, F-86 (f-86 lot of Fun, Mig-15 too but its harder to fly than F-86)

Helicopter: Mi-8MTV (hard to fly), Ka-50, SA 342 Gazelle (Very hard to fly! it wants to Kill you) , UH-1 Huey

Trainer/Lightattack aircrafts: L-39C/ZA (Also lot of FUN), HAWK T.1A, C-101

Prepar 3D /FSX is best if u want more than just flying Military jets in closed maps.
But you will need to spend much more than u will on DCS + Modules to get a pleasant experience.
You can get even an F-18E Air combat simulator in Prepar3d/ FSX with the Add-ons from VRS https://www.vrsimulations.com/superbug.php
But again you will need to pay much just to get single jet working.

Go for Prepard3d/FSX if u are interested more into commercial airliners/aircrafts or Flight experience/maneuevers

X-Plane 11 Also a very good Software. Still New. Better graphics than Prepar3d/FSX. Good flight models but still not much quality content right now as the software is still new.
The advantage X-plane has over FSX is that the Helicopter flight dynamics are more realistic in X-plane than on FSX with the standard helicopters and even most "payware" models. Use X-plane if u interessted more in Helicopters (and Space shuttles)

Il-2 Battle of Stalingrad/ Battle of Moscow This is the best sim for WW2 right now. While DCS also implemented WW2 into their sim it is still limited as it does not offer more than 4 aircraft models right now which u need to buy each of them. IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad and its expansion will give u plenty of aircraft which some of them u need to unlock in single player to be able to use in multiplayer. But graphics are very good! And its very fun to play! Still kind of Expensive! But cheaper than FSX/Prepar 3d

IL-2 Cliffs of Dover Kind of old and only playable with the "Team Fusion" MOD. It has still a very active Multiplayer base. Most of them use the modded version. You can get it cheap on Steam and download the Mod in the steam work shop for free. Also very fun and the game to go if u are on a budget.

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Tue 4 Jul 2017 12:08

I don't have it but Falcon 4.0 BMS looks exceptional. I think I will treat myself at some point to it and a joystick.

I used to play IL2 and Pacific fighters I miss those games the seafire was excellent for dogfighting Japanese planes a hit with the 20mm on a wing root would turn a zero into a fireball!

Strike fighters 2 was good but thirdwire have switched to phone games. sadly even on the hardest difficulty it was relatively easy not surprising when then enemies top jet is a mig23! Lots of mods but I couldn't get them working

StalkerDellaNote
Lieutenant

Postby StalkerDellaNote » Tue 4 Jul 2017 14:40

Combat sims are kinda out of the question til I get a new HOTAS, if DCS were to implement support aircraft like KC-135 or Boeing E-3 I'd be set! But alas, they don't, once tried to fly a fighter with a yoke for science, it wasn't very fun, it felt too "boaty"

But DCS is definitely on my list, I pray one day they drop an AV-8B, way hyped for the F/A-18, that's an aircraft I've flown plenty time in like, actual sims, you know.. those kick is ones on a gyro?

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Tue 4 Jul 2017 15:37

StalkerDellaNote wrote:I pray one day they drop an AV-8B

Soon
[Non-included Nation] Belgium - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Hungary - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Pakistan

Mephistopheles
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Mephistopheles » Tue 4 Jul 2017 17:11

StalkerDellaNote wrote:Combat sims are kinda out of the question til I get a new HOTAS, if DCS were to implement support aircraft like KC-135 or Boeing E-3 I'd be set! But alas, they don't, once tried to fly a fighter with a yoke for science, it wasn't very fun, it felt too "boaty"

But DCS is definitely on my list, I pray one day they drop an AV-8B, way hyped for the F/A-18, that's an aircraft I've flown plenty time in like, actual sims, you know.. those kick is ones on a gyro?

Check Youtube... the AV-8B is about soon to be released as early access.
This year releases include:
DCS F/A-18C
DCS AV-8B
DCS F-14A

Yeah one guy already mentioned it. Falcon BMS 4.33 awesome and the best F-16 flightsimulator out there but man the graphics are of similiar quality that of FSX and its better if u are a frequent player and join a squadron since u need to directly connect to servers.

Since you have no Hotas i would recommend X-plane 11 since it offers very affordable phsyics and graphics with sufficient aircraft models.
I have FSX with few add ons but i still cant get over the dated Engine. But if u put some 500 $ just for addons i am pretty sure its an awesome flightsim...
Prepar3D is a "Modernized" FSX....same engine but updated...but the best flight sim if you have money and time. I wouldnt invest money into Prepard 3D if i dont have at least the PC-screen and a decent periphery for flightsims like a yoke a good side stick with thrusters. if you can spend more than 500$ into prepard3D + addons than u can spend also 1k or more on hardware.

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Tue 4 Jul 2017 20:44

StalkerDellaNote wrote:Combat sims are kinda out of the question til I get a new HOTAS, if DCS were to implement support aircraft like KC-135 or Boeing E-3 I'd be set! But alas, they don't, once tried to fly a fighter with a yoke for science, it wasn't very fun, it felt too "boaty"

Falcon 4 bms has AV8 also saw a vid of a guy flying a b52 on don't know if it used the right cockpit though

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Tue 4 Jul 2017 22:50

Mephistopheles wrote:Professional Flight modules include (My favorites):

They really seem to have added TONs of modules since the start of DCS. I guess I could add a few. The pre-DCS Black Shark 2 is good to go I guess?

Is there a list (maybe with reviews?) of what is study and what survey level? Or is the more expensive ones always study/pro level?

AFAIK the campaign/editor part of the franchise is top notch since about the times of the original Black Shark. How well does the combined arms side of things work out?

StalkerDellaNote
Lieutenant

Postby StalkerDellaNote » Wed 5 Jul 2017 00:07

Mephistopheles wrote:Since you have no Hotas i would recommend X-plane 11 since it offers very affordable phsyics and graphics with sufficient aircraft models.
I have FSX with few add ons but i still cant get over the dated Engine. But if u put some 500 $ just for addons i am pretty sure its an awesome flightsim...
Prepar3D is a "Modernized" FSX....same engine but updated...but the best flight sim if you have money and time. I wouldnt invest money into Prepard 3D if i dont have at least the PC-screen and a decent periphery for flightsims like a yoke a good side stick with thrusters. if you can spend more than 500$ into prepard3D + addons than u can spend also 1k or more on hardware.

I have alot of pay-ware for FSX and hardware I've collected over the years as well as what's recently been handed down to me (like a "Yoko" yoke).. FSX is great, but yeah, it feels disgustingly dated.. Well I might as well get a new HOTAS soon, do you suggest any particular one?