Flight sim advice

Mephistopheles
Sergeant First-Class

Re: Flight sim advice

Postby Mephistopheles » Sat 15 Jul 2017 12:39

Xeno426 wrote:
Mephistopheles wrote:Yeah true that. But dogfighting a mirage on higher altitudes is even for a SU27 very dangerous....in DCS.
it is fun flying the M2000C against good pilots. Sadly too often kids ruin it by flying F-15C armed with nothing else than 10x Aim 120 and firing more than 3 Aim-120 on you till one hits.

Um, the F-15C can only have eight missiles totals.

Incidentally, spamming missiles is kinda why the Su-27 and Su-33 have so many pylons; launch one missile as soon as the target is in range to force it defensive, then follow up several seconds later as you get closer. Even if the enemy launches an AIM-120C, you can do a lot of course changes while keeping the target within your radar scope, and if he waits too long to start making defensive maneuvers then he's toast. If you can get into knife fight range, the HMS and R-73 give you a distinct advantage in the furball.

Of course, you have to contend with a radar that has a slower refresh rate for popup targets and less capable SA than its F-15C opponent. At least you can pick up the enemy and lock him up before he's within range of his AIM-120s, something the poor MiG-29S can't say. :lol:

Speaking of, I was annoyed when they removed the "tactical" view from the MiG-29's HDD. Sure, I know it was only ever used as a HUD repeater, but at least put in GCI assisted intercept before removing that feature. :(

Best use of the SU-27 was always to fly low and keep radar off. The tactical view in the mfd rovided great assistance in sneaking to target when u can use terrain to mask your movements , which is a bnit harder in the Nevada map. The IRST sensor is such a great gadget on the SU27 especially coupled with thze R-27ET.

The problem with the SU-27 is that the R27 are less accurate than the aim120c and easily dodged while an F-15C can fire one or 2 aim-120 and than just turn arround and let ur R-27 bleed its energy away while they try to catch up.
In many cases the F-15C will fly at a higher altitude than ur su27 which decreases ur R27ER range advantage.
High flying F15C pilots tend to fire and than dive behind terrain.

To bad about the removal of tactical view of the Mig29 it would have been the perfect "Hit and Run" aircraft with its R77 and R27ETs. I still fly the Mig 29 sometimes and use a paper and pen to note down AWACS reports.
I am not sure but the Mig 29 feels much more instable and less smooth and agile since last year. Might be an update or an Illusion

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Sun 16 Jul 2017 21:08

Xeno426 wrote:I look more forward to the Mi-24P, though it's a shame we can't get the Mi-24VP (give the gunner something more to do than guiding missiles).

To be fair the Mi-24P is quite a lot easier and more fun if you have no friends. That feels like it should be an important consideration for these things. Besides, the second seater in a Gazelle has little or nothing to do but HOT things and people seem keen on doing that every once in a while.

I always sort of wonder how difficult it would be to do a bunch of closely related variants of a major airframe, kind of like the L-39C/ZA module or the Aviojet (when it's finished). Mi-24P and VP. F-4E/F/Kurnass/EJ (dunno how major Kai is but chuck that in if it's easy). Hell, from that go on to the F-4J, the D, the K, the C. You'll probably want to make people pay for those ones again though.

Whatever form the Phantom comes in it's basically going to be a license to print money though.
[Non-included Nation] Belgium - Now with Spreadsheet!
[Non-included Nation] Pakistan

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Sun 16 Jul 2017 21:55

I know the F-4E has a pretty different cockpit layout from the F-4B/J/S because the USAF insisted on doubled flight controls, so the guy in back can still fly the plane in an emergency (and he was also a certified pilot). With the Navy, the guy in back was not a pilot, so he needed so such backup systems.

IIRC, later on the USAF stopped making the guy in back pilot-certified, but they kept the dual controls.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Tue 18 Jul 2017 04:33

StalkerDellaNote wrote:Anyways, I think I'ma stick to ArmA for my support aircraft fix...

Well, there's support missions like this.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Mephistopheles
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Mephistopheles » Tue 18 Jul 2017 11:08

Xeno426 wrote:
StalkerDellaNote wrote:Anyways, I think I'ma stick to ArmA for my support aircraft fix...

Well, there's support missions like this.

Poly Chop (or how ever they name themselfs now) wanted to implement a "Sniper team" for the Gazelle helicopter. Not sure how this should function or how effective it will be.

Might be cool if the Sniper is acessible via Multi crew