What are you reading?

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Re: What are you reading?

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Tue 7 Mar 2017 10:07

Fairly good reads for anyone who's big on DnD. The guide to campaigns was more brief and lax than I hoped it'd be, but still fairly inspirational. The Tomb of beasts fills the gap left by the 5E Monster manual (lots of fey, undead and others), as most reviewers have said, most of the Monsters CR is out of whack, but a good DM would know their true powers.

Would recomend for anyone hosting 5E.

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Tue 7 Mar 2017 16:13

Grabbed_by_the_Spets wrote:as most reviewers have said, most of the Monsters CR is out of whack, but a good DM would know their true powers.

Is it as bad as the 3.0 version of the Monster Manual II? That thing had a creature called the Adamantine Horror. Among its abilities were three nasty at will ones; Disintegrate, Implosion, and Mordenkainen's Disjunction.
Oh, and this beast? CR 9.

That's right, one 6th level spell and two 9th level spells at will on a CR 9 creature.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

Crotou
Colonel

Postby Crotou » Tue 7 Mar 2017 23:55

Spoiler : :

On a more serious note :

How and when the frank then french kings have been numbered. A very interesting read about a rarely (never?) addressed subject.

Tac Error
Captain

Postby Tac Error » Thu 9 Mar 2017 04:23

SLONIK MARSHAL

"Large mechanized forces always defeat small mechanized forces." - M. N. Tukhachevsky

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Thu 9 Mar 2017 04:38

Is it as bad as the 3.0 version of the Monster Manual II? That thing had a creature called the Adamantine Horror. Among its abilities were three nasty at will ones; Disintegrate, Implosion, and Mordenkainen's Disjunction.
Oh, and this beast? CR 9.

That's right, one 6th level spell and two 9th level spells at will on a CR 9 creature.

Not sure, as I don't really read official DnD 3/3.5 stuff anymore.

But it's mostly alright, there was one monster in the book which is particularly bad, he has not one, not two, but FOUR save-or-die abilities. If I were a player and was fielded against that monster and died, I'd probably get up and leave the group. It's only CR12 BTW.

There's also some monsters that seem near impossible to roleplay, like there is one for example that has an attack which swaps a PC with his shadow, the shadow looks and acts just like the PC, but is loyal to the monster and hostile to the party. How the hell are you supposed to roleplay that without meta-gaming?

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Tue 14 Mar 2017 07:04

Pretty much Xeno426, the book.

A great read so far, smashed over half the book in a couple of days, dude is both hilarious and knows his stuff. Would recommend.

Speaking of books, anyone know a good book on the 26th July movement and the subsequent insurgency/counter insurgency that followed?

I can't find any that isn't a biography/autobiography in some form. I just want mostly the tactics and equipment used during the time, and the state of the country during the conflict.

Tac Error
Captain

Postby Tac Error » Fri 24 Mar 2017 08:41

SLONIK MARSHAL

"Large mechanized forces always defeat small mechanized forces." - M. N. Tukhachevsky

D-M

Postby D-M » Sat 25 Mar 2017 18:18

Just finished reading The Three Body Problem (I'm a slow reader, I know) .

Me, right now :

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Sat 25 Mar 2017 18:37

Well, guess I'm going balls deep now!