What are you reading?

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: What are you reading?

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Tue 4 Jul 2017 21:04

Admiral Piett wrote:This is likely excellent. Raymond Callahan wrote one of the best histories of the Singapore and Malaya campaign.

Thanks.
I've developed an interest in the Burma campaign recently, I might get that one for this Summer. :)

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Tue 4 Jul 2017 23:24

[EUG]MadMat wrote:
Admiral Piett wrote:This is likely excellent. Raymond Callahan wrote one of the best histories of the Singapore and Malaya campaign.

Thanks.
I've developed an interest in the Burma campaign recently, I might get that one for this Summer. :)

Forgotten voices is excellent for Burma campaign and their book forgotten voices of the secret war has bits from people who served in Burma. One of my favourite bits is an AA gun team commander using 3 40mm bofors to suppress dug in Japanese troops on a hill with gurkhas following behind the creeping barrage with their kukris ready!

While it isn't exactly military though he was an officer Jim Corbetts 2nd omnibus does mention him training troops for jungle combat and survival But it primarily focuses on his life in the Indian jungle. His 1st omnibus has a lot more action detailing the hunt for man eaters I think he was in his 60s when he got his last one!

Oh and for the love of God don't look up Jim Corbett national park on images I got half of some poor bastards desiccated corpse looking at me (tiger left what it didn't want) seen worse pics but anyway.

Admiral Piett
Colonel

Postby Admiral Piett » Wed 5 Jul 2017 01:03

[EUG]MadMat wrote:Thanks.

No problem! If you can find it, my supervisor (John Ferris) referred to this as "the best book written on the Second World War." Pretty high praise coming from him. It is older, so I don't know how it holds up in the historiography (haven't read my copy yet), but it is certainly still worth reading.

[EUG]MadMat

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Thu 6 Jul 2017 20:18

Admiral Piett wrote:

No problem! If you can find it, my supervisor (John Ferris) referred to this as "the best book written on the Second World War." Pretty high praise coming from him. It is older, so I don't know how it holds up in the historiography (haven't read my copy yet), but it is certainly still worth reading.[/img]

Thanks.

I have to find some time for one of those, although my reading list for this Summer is already getting bigger with every passing day:

Admiral Piett
Colonel

Postby Admiral Piett » Thu 6 Jul 2017 21:35

I have to find some time for one of those, although my reading list for this Summer is already getting bigger with every passing day:

Oh, I totally understand. My backlog is years long at this point. :lol:

Grabbed_by_the_Spets
General

Postby Grabbed_by_the_Spets » Fri 7 Jul 2017 02:42

[EUG]MadMat wrote:I have to find some time for one of those, although my reading list for this Summer is already getting bigger with every passing day:

My god, some of those are thicker than a phonebook!

D-M

Postby D-M » Fri 7 Jul 2017 16:37

MadMat wrote:*pile of ink and paper*

Oh that's your thesis's subject there.

But yeah, fuck, the stormlight archive... just how many trees is there in here ?

And here I feel like a big boy reading some Hobb. :/

[EUG]MadMat

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Fri 7 Jul 2017 17:00

D-M wrote:
MadMat wrote:Oh that's your thesis's subject there.

Not mine, but same topic.
I confess I bought that one to check if I was quoted in it, it happened in another one I bought last year. My fifteen minutes of glory... :)

Admiral Piett
Colonel

Postby Admiral Piett » Fri 7 Jul 2017 18:30

[EUG]MadMat wrote:I confess I bought that one to check if I was quoted in it, it happened in another one I bought last year. My fifteen minutes of glory... :)

Good stuff! :D