War movies.

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: War movies.

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Wed 13 Sep 2017 15:31

As someone seen this movie? And if so, what is it worth?
It's not every day that I stumble on a Russian Civil War movie, so I'm interested ... :)

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Wed 13 Sep 2017 19:24

[EUG]MadMat wrote:As someone seen this movie? And if so, what is it worth?
It's not every day that I stumble on a Russian Civil War movie, so I'm interested ... :)

Well the opening scene reminds you of Chemulpo Bay - so you know my opinion.

I think Russians are a little bit crazy...

Tac Error
Captain

Postby Tac Error » Sat 16 Sep 2017 02:35

[EUG]MadMat wrote:As someone seen this movie? And if so, what is it worth?

You might be interested in reading this review from the Revolutionary Russia journal:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B06Gp ... jhPLU4wcW8

I would also add that the original 2008 film was followed up by an expanded 10-part TV series which is uploaded on Youtube here:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 8V0lEHRK4v

I do not know if there is (either official or volunteer) a set of subtitles for the expanded edition...
SLONIK MARSHAL

"Large mechanized forces always defeat small mechanized forces." - M. N. Tukhachevsky

Galvan_Richard
Private

Postby Galvan_Richard » Mon 18 Sep 2017 09:06

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Tue 26 Sep 2017 00:54

Galvan_Richard wrote:Saving Private Ryan. Read this http://www.reelviews.net/reelviews/saving-private-ryan

It's a very good review, easy to agree with, and I think well explains why this movie is great. (Even up to the point of mentioning Spielberg's earlier lighthearted work so this was not something I expected based on his 80's era movies.) I wonder why the reviewer gave only 4 stars when apparently he liked the movie very much. My only difference would perhaps be that it's still an American hero story - maybe due to being different nationality from the reviewer - but it's a very subtle aspect and a far cry from your typical Hollywood cookie cutter stuff, war is war rather than being just an idealized background for the said hero story.

Maybe a comment on the mission - basically the high command is risking the lives of 8 men for propaganda purposes - no heroism along the lines of retrieve these secret documents from a nazi fortress to win the war for us, the characters don't seem to have a particular personal passion about the mission. Not something that's really mulled over or analyzed that much, the orders are dropped on the soldiers and they accept them as expected. So basically heroism in this context boils down to pulling yourself together in a tight spot and carrying out orders, even when the cost can be great. Consistent with the style of the movie and hopefully explains something deeper about it.

I would probably rate this over say, Letters from Iwo Jima. Quality and execution is smoother on this one, though horses for courses, I might usually like the extreme setting of the likes of LIJ but I'd say SPR is kind of objectively somewhat better.

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Tue 26 Sep 2017 01:01

varis wrote:Maybe a comment on the mission - basically the high command is risking the lives of 8 men for propaganda purposes - no heroism along the lines of retrieve these secret documents from a nazi fortress to win the war for us, the characters don't seem to have a particular personal passion about the mission. Not something that's really mulled over or analyzed that much, the orders are dropped on the soldiers and they accept them as expected. So basically heroism in this context boils down to pulling yourself together in a tight spot and carrying out orders, even when the cost can be great. Consistent with the style of the movie and hopefully explains something deeper about it.

History Buffs gives a good review of the film from a historic perspective. And yes, the idea that command would send eight men behind enemy lines (and that someone as high up as Eisenhower would be involved) to retrieve a soldier is bollocks. The actual story it's based on is that one guy was sent to find a solder who was part of the infantry that landed and send him back home because the guy's brothers had all died. The key feature is that only one guy was sent and the person he was looking for was on the front lines, not on the opposite side of it.

Otherwise, the movie is very historically accurate. There are little bits of inaccuracies, but overall it was very good.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

[EUG]MadMat

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Tue 26 Sep 2017 01:10

Xeno426 wrote:There are little bits of inaccuracies, but overall it was very good.

Like H-35 & R-35 becoming Tigers? :)

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Tue 26 Sep 2017 01:27

[EUG]MadMat wrote:
Xeno426 wrote:There are little bits of inaccuracies, but overall it was very good.

Seeing as how there is literally only one Tiger still running, I usually give passes on films that drape shroud around a different tank to make it look like a Tiger. I mean, Kelly's Heroes did it.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

[EUG]MadMat

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Tue 26 Sep 2017 01:34

Xeno426 wrote:
[EUG]MadMat wrote:

Seeing as how there is literally only one Tiger still running, I usually give passes on films that drape shroud around a different tank to make it look like a Tiger. I mean, Kelly's Heroes did it.

I didn't meant the draping, I meant that the German tanks involved in the combat for the Merderet bridges were Beutepanzer from Panzer-EuA 100.
The American paras should be fighting off H-35 and R-35, and mere Grenadiers from 91. Luftlande-Division, not crack SS with Tigers. But I guess old French tanks from 1940 weren't deemed sexy enough ... ;)