Some W:EE newbie questions...

ik33lima3
Private

Some W:EE newbie questions...

Postby ik33lima3 » Sun 7 Jun 2015 19:59

I have searched unsuccessfully for answers to these four questions so would be grateful for advice from the W:EE Community on any or all of the following, for a total newb (SP only) who has only just started playing:

1. Unlocks - as a former (dilletante!) 1/300 wargamer I find it utterly crazy that you can't get to play with all the wonderful W:EE goodies until you unlock them. Searching for some way, any way around this, I saw a post (on Steam IIRC) which said you could in effect use MP a bit like a quick mission builder/mission editor - create a private MP game. But when I tried, I seemed to start of with access only to the same 'deck' from Bruder Gegen Bruder, mission 1, which was as far as I had got at the time (haven't got much further since!!!). Maybe it's just my unfamiliarity with the creation of these deck things, but no joy. So - can or can't we use a private MP game to generate a battle on a map of your choice, with units of your choice, before you as a player have unlocked them?

2. HUD - Is there a way to turn off the 'Head Up Display' elements on the screen, individually or severally - any or all of the minimap, buttons, floating unit labels etc? I would at least like to do this for screenshots, even if it would be impractical to play without them.

3. View system - I can only seem to get the camera viewpoint to move left or right, forward or back. I would also like to be able to rotate the camera on its axis, for example for screenshots. I do understand that the forced 'over the shoulder' view inhibits 'cheating' through having a drone-eye view of the battlefield (though that ceases to work as such if you are attacking across the map from side to side, at a particular point in a mission). I see there's a 'track' button but that doesn't seem to do anything much.

4. At one point (re-)playing the first mission in BgB, my Leo platoon, while they were in cover in some scrub, instead of turning blue for better visibility, turned green, and could not be given a 'move to' point. Green seems to be the colour of 'allied' (non-playable) units. But why would my playable platoon become unplayable? This happened twice; once I just restarted, the other time they somehow reverted to my control; why I have no idea. Were the NVA jamming our comms ? :)

TIA!

Shifu
Lieutenant General

Re: Some W:EE newbie questions...

Postby Shifu » Sun 7 Jun 2015 20:12

1. No, until you've unlocked a unit, you cannot put it in your deck and use it (doesn't matter if Singleplayer skrimish, campaign or MP match). However, there are trainers to unlock units or you can use the profile (it's two profile files actually) of another player to access all the Stars they have.

2. No, but in the replay should be a "hide HUD" button (escape the view with esc) for exactly this reason.

3. You should be able to rotate the camera. Either with Control + WASD or middle mouse button.

4. I think that's part of the mission. You get assigned a recon squad and must recon some place. Then you'll get your Leo's back. Correct that green is the color of your allies, blue are your units.
I'm currently running short on time. Hence, it takes some time until I respond. In urgent cases, consider contacting another mod.
Forum rules | A Forum's guide. | Tech Support Posting instructions & Tech FAQ

ik33lima3
Private

Re: Some W:EE newbie questions...

Postby ik33lima3 » Sun 7 Jun 2015 20:47

Thanks for the quick responses - much appreciated!

PS first impressions illustrated mission report is taking shape here:

http://combatace.com/topic/86253-wargam ... /?p=694952

Appreciate this first mission has been maybe done to death on Youtube but this is how it was for me, the first time!