Modding tools

Dimonay
Lieutenant

Re: Modding tools

Postby Dimonay » Mon 25 Feb 2013 10:15

I honestly don't understand what's so bad about the fact that they are trying to make money :?: Every company except non profits are trying to make money and even they have to go + - 0 at least. Honestly every company that does not try to make money are domed.

[EUG]MadMat
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Mon 25 Feb 2013 12:44

We've said earlier for EE that we considered releasing modding tools. We haven't changed our mind.

As we've stated before, Wargame European Escalation's success exceeded our expectations.
More money than expected if you will.

So what to do with that extra-money? We had to decide between:
- invest in modding tools, useful to some <5% of the community, then move completely on ALB and leave modders create "hovering T-80 meta" or "über-Abrams with square-10 armor". With the risk, everyone doing its own little nationalist fantasy, to split a nascent community.
- give the best follow-up we could in terms of patchs and free contents, which would affect 100% of the players.

Between granting tools to an "elite" with no assurance that it wouldn't split/destroy a fragile community and working for everyone, we've invested in a now one-year follow-up.
You may criticize that choice, but calling us overtly greedy would be, at best, excessive.

Now, we can't tell neither "we will release modd tools" nor "we won't release modd tools", for it is still something we're considering but is not a priority: we think that free contents have more value, for affecting more people, than modd tools.

artao wrote:the dissatisfaction amongst their PAYING CUSTOMERS regarding this issue. If we shut up about it, they'll think we're okay with things as they are.

You've bought a finished product, and then you've had additional free content.
If you're not OK with that, then don't buy. It is your right.

Now, why didn't you get an answer before? Because of your insulting attitude and offensive behaviour ...
From your first posts, I've made myself a rule not to answer any of your message or it could get dirty.
Now that I've broken my own rule, lets make it clear: one more post of yours that I feel slightly offensive to us, making an excessive use of caps or just trolling, and I'll ban you once and for all.
Dissent may be expressed as long as it remains sound and expressed properly. Insults won't be tolerated.

praslovan
Major-General

Postby praslovan » Mon 25 Feb 2013 13:14

Awww can you feel it? Can you feel it hanging in the air?
It is the:
Spoiler : :

But seriously? I hope that some overeager "we want mod tools" people finally get the message some people were trying to tell them for the past 17 pages of his thread.

DelroyMonjo
Colonel

Postby DelroyMonjo » Mon 25 Feb 2013 13:20

[EUG]MadMat wrote:We've said earlier for EE that we considered releasing modding tools. We haven't changed our mind......
- invest in modding tools, useful to some <5% of the community, then move completely on ALB and leave modders create "hovering T-80 meta" or "über-Abrams with square-10 armor". With the risk, everyone doing its own little nationalist fantasy, to split a nascent community.
- give the best follow-up we could in terms of patchs and free contents, which would affect 100% of the players.....

Now, we can't tell neither "we will release modd tools" nor "we won't release modd tools", for it is still something we're considering but is not a priority: we think that free contents have more value, for affecting more people, than modd tools.

Maybe you can 'Sticky' this explanation, MadMat.
Works for me! :P
Illegitimi non carborundum.

praslovan
Major-General

Postby praslovan » Mon 25 Feb 2013 13:26

DelroyMonjo wrote:Maybe you can 'Sticky' this explanation

Yeah and adjust is a bit and put it in the ALB section as well.

Arnie
Sergeant Major

Postby Arnie » Mon 25 Feb 2013 15:23

DelroyMonjo wrote:
[EUG]MadMat wrote:We've said earlier for EE that we considered releasing modding tools. We haven't changed our mind......
- give the best follow-up we could in terms of patchs and free contents, which would affect 100% of the players.....

Maybe you can 'Sticky' this explanation, MadMat.
Works for me! :P

+1 :) To add to this, its a totally logical choice to make. Thanks to Eugen for making such a kickass RTS title and giving a follow up with all those sexy looking planes so soon after. 8-)

JBravo
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby JBravo » Mon 25 Feb 2013 15:56

[EUG]MadMat wrote:Between granting tools to an "elite" with no assurance that it wouldn't split/destroy a fragile community and working for everyone, we've invested in a now one-year follow-up...

This is the view I've always had... While It'd be cool to have modding tools and mods for the game, the community is not massive, and it can be difficult enough to find a multiplayer game without everyone wanting to play their own favorite mod. While everybody may not agree on stuff like stats or what is or isnt overpowered, at least we are all playing the same game.

nWODT_Niack
Captain

Postby nWODT_Niack » Mon 25 Feb 2013 16:02

@MadMat : thank you for clarifying your position. As the others said, this should be made a sticky.

As said earlier, a map editor – provided it would be technically feasible – would let people vent their creativity without breaking the community. Ideally, custom maps should be distributed when starting the lobby, like what is done for some games.
Croche et Tient

diana olympos
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby diana olympos » Mon 25 Feb 2013 16:10

As a tournament and esport fan, i quite agree that a map editor would be great and be usefull for 100% of the community (have a look at SC2...)

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Mon 25 Feb 2013 17:23

nWODT_Niack wrote:As said earlier, a map editor – provided it would be technically feasible – would let people vent their creativity without breaking the community. Ideally, custom maps should be distributed when starting the lobby, like what is done for some games.

Maps can be even tested by the community and officially approved by Eugen and added to the "rotation". (Wasn't that done for WiC?)

That way mod tools can bring benefit to 100% of the community.

On the other hand, DLCs won't be for everyone either. There are some people who don't play single player, conquest, economy, etc.

Return to “Wargame : European Escalation”