Modding tools

ikalugin
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 10429
Joined: Sun 6 Nov 2011 01:00
Contact:

Modding tools

Postby ikalugin » Thu 12 Jan 2012 15:27

Can you please clarify what modding tools are planed, their limitations and so on. :)
This is b/c in WiC there were horrible tools and a massive "code wall" that slowed down our efforts considerably.
Image
Spoiler : :
We need more missilez code for the missilez god.
Praslovan:
"Tactical Ikalugin inbound on this position in 10... 9..."
Image

User avatar
Alex24
Sergeant
Posts: 76
Joined: Thu 30 Jun 2011 15:52
Location: Upper Austria
Contact:

Re: Modding tools

Postby Alex24 » Thu 12 Jan 2012 16:52

i would guess:

- export tools + viewer for a 3d modelling problem, like 3dx max 2008-12
- in ruse they used .data.... -> unpack/pack programm

gorodish
Private
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat 14 Jan 2012 10:33
Contact:

Re: Modding tools

Postby gorodish » Sat 14 Jan 2012 10:42

ikalugin wrote:Can you please clarify what modding tools are planed, their limitations and so on. :)
This is b/c in WiC there were horrible tools and a massive "code wall" that slowed down our efforts considerably.


I should like to know as well, I have long wanted to make a proof of concept TPS VLLS tactical mod on top of a game like this; unfortunately that requires source or at least some fairly deep scripting capability to make fly. In the cae of the WiC 'code wall', I think that may have had more to do with Ubisoft then Massive, and may even have played a role in Martin Walfisz departure...

:geek:

grandstrateger
Staff Sergeant
Posts: 91
Joined: Thu 30 Jun 2011 12:19
Contact:

Re: Modding tools

Postby grandstrateger » Sat 14 Jan 2012 16:00

We are planning to deliver modding tools.
We believe that the modding tools should be done closely with the community.

Here is a list of the different kinds of tools that would be needed for the community.
The classic ones are these ones :

- map editor
- unit editor
- weapon & rules editor

but as Wargame is pretty multiplayer oriented, we should also consider

- tournament editor
- possibility to create persistant "fictional wars" with players
...
EUGEN BIG BOSS

gorodish
Private
Posts: 4
Joined: Sat 14 Jan 2012 10:33
Contact:

Re: Modding tools

Postby gorodish » Sat 14 Jan 2012 17:06

Cool, might there be script and features that would allow modding:

· game camera?
· AI behaviors?
· triggers etc to create new game modes?
· editing the interface & controls?

The presentation on the IRISZOOM™ Engine on ModDB and The Eugen Systems site looks quite impressive, it would be nice to see an RTS game/engine collaboration that rolled something that became the Half-Life of RTS games as far as mod support.

This isn't to take anything away from Wargame: European Escalation, just that deep mod support is something that has taken a back seat in PC game development, that still has legs in growing a game's audience and leverages a lot of marketing opportunity from fan and mod sites.

:geek:

User avatar
D-M
Posts: 8672
Joined: Sat 23 Jul 2011 11:10
Contact:

Re: Modding tools

Postby D-M » Sat 14 Jan 2012 17:09

Can't wait to see some Tower Defence maps... 8-)

Aha, no.
Image

User avatar
QShadow
Second-Lieutenant
Posts: 760
Joined: Sun 10 Jul 2011 11:22
Location: Austria, Vienna
Contact:

Re: Modding tools

Postby QShadow » Sat 14 Jan 2012 17:15

I'm very intersted in the map editor tool... 'cause thats the only modding category I ever had some success ^^

Apart from that I have alredy some visions for mods.......

Wargame: Milenium Crisis Mod
Wargame:*insert Faction Name here* Mod
Wargame: Alpha Zentauri Mod
Wargame: European Skies
Wargame: Operation Red Dawn (invasion of US)

:mrgreen:
Image

ikalugin
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!
Posts: 10429
Joined: Sun 6 Nov 2011 01:00
Contact:

Re: Modding tools

Postby ikalugin » Sat 14 Jan 2012 18:17

grandstrateger wrote:We are planning to deliver modding tools.
We believe that the modding tools should be done closely with the community.

Here is a list of the different kinds of tools that would be needed for the community.
The classic ones are these ones :

- map editor
- unit editor
- weapon & rules editor

but as Wargame is pretty multiplayer oriented, we should also consider

- tournament editor
- possibility to create persistant "fictional wars" with players
...

It would be nice to have access to unit ai as well as projectile code.
Image
Spoiler : :
We need more missilez code for the missilez god.
Praslovan:
"Tactical Ikalugin inbound on this position in 10... 9..."
Image

blahdy
Specialist
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun 6 Nov 2011 02:25
Contact:

Re: Modding tools

Postby blahdy » Sat 14 Jan 2012 21:05

ikalugin wrote:
It would be nice to have access to unit ai as well as projectile code.



Yes, if W-EE gives modders API access to homing projectiles, we can do some real neat tricks, like what's been done for WiC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LwVjO4lg9o

Here, the homing projectiles support following modes of guidance:

- Command Guidance (launcher unit talks to the missile and gives it steering command every frame)
- Semi-Active Laser or Radar Homing (target is illuminated by an off-board illuminator or launcher's own illuminator (i.e. X-band fire control radar, laser designator, etc), and missile homes in after reflected energy source)
- Active / Passive "fire-and-forget" homing (missile acquires target on its own and hits it; this is default behavior by most games)
- Inertial Guidance (missile's guidance is augmented by an inertial measurement unit, often combined with data-link from launch host unit with mid-course updates)

This is pretty useful for simulating proper SAM and Air-to-Ground munitions :)

User avatar
D-M
Posts: 8672
Joined: Sat 23 Jul 2011 11:10
Contact:

Re: Modding tools

Postby D-M » Sat 14 Jan 2012 21:33

blahdy wrote:
ikalugin wrote:
It would be nice to have access to unit ai as well as projectile code.



Yes, if W-EE gives modders API access to homing projectiles, we can do some real neat tricks, like what's been done for WiC:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LwVjO4lg9o



2:22 Why the marseillaise ? oO
Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests