Modding tools

csar
Corporal

Re: Modding tools

Postby csar » Fri 29 Mar 2013 01:51

[EUG]MadMat wrote:We've said earlier for EE that we considered releasing modding tools. We haven't changed our mind.

As we've stated before, Wargame European Escalation's success exceeded our expectations.
More money than expected if you will.

So what to do with that extra-money? We had to decide between:
- invest in modding tools, useful to some <5% of the community, then move completely on ALB and leave modders create "hovering T-80 meta" or "über-Abrams with square-10 armor". With the risk, everyone doing its own little nationalist fantasy, to split a nascent community.
- give the best follow-up we could in terms of patchs and free contents, which would affect 100% of the players.

Between granting tools to an "elite" with no assurance that it wouldn't split/destroy a fragile community and working for everyone, we've invested in a now one-year follow-up.
You may criticize that choice, but calling us overtly greedy would be, at best, excessive.

Now, we can't tell neither "we will release modd tools" nor "we won't release modd tools", for it is still something we're considering but is not a priority: we think that free contents have more value, for affecting more people, than modd tools.

artao wrote:the dissatisfaction amongst their PAYING CUSTOMERS regarding this issue. If we shut up about it, they'll think we're okay with things as they are.

You've bought a finished product, and then you've had additional free content.
If you're not OK with that, then don't buy. It is your right.

Now, why didn't you get an answer before? Because of your insulting attitude and offensive behaviour ...
From your first posts, I've made myself a rule not to answer any of your message or it could get dirty.
Now that I've broken my own rule, lets make it clear: one more post of yours that I feel slightly offensive to us, making an excessive use of caps or just trolling, and I'll ban you once and for all.
Dissent may be expressed as long as it remains sound and expressed properly. Insults won't be tolerated.

Okay but you aren't realizing that useful to 5% expands to 100% as the community could also release free addons to the game, and directly contribute to the value of the game. You know how much good PR modding tools bring to a title and company? Way more than you would expect, it's a statement "we're a good developer that loves its community". Modding tools SELL's to people who value a product for quality and longevity.

I've been waiting so long for the chance to make a map of the terrain around me.

Drang
Major-General

Postby Drang » Fri 29 Mar 2013 04:06

Pretty much. W:EE is dead, but sell mod tools for it and you can get every mil-simmer, 40K buff and other loser to buy it, free of charge, as a mod platform.

Fri13
Lieutenant

Postby Fri13 » Fri 29 Mar 2013 12:34

Drang wrote:Pretty much. W:EE is dead, but sell mod tools for it and you can get every mil-simmer, 40K buff and other loser to buy it, free of charge, as a mod platform.

So WG:EE is now unofficially dead and modding tools didn't do it?

hotrod525
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby hotrod525 » Fri 29 Mar 2013 22:13

[EUG]MadMat wrote:We've said earlier for EE that we considered releasing modding tools. We haven't changed our mind.

As we've stated before, Wargame European Escalation's success exceeded our expectations.
More money than expected if you will.

So what to do with that extra-money? We had to decide between:
- invest in modding tools, useful to some <5% of the community, then move completely on ALB and leave modders create "hovering T-80 meta" or "über-Abrams with square-10 armor". With the risk, everyone doing its own little nationalist fantasy, to split a nascent community.
- give the best follow-up we could in terms of patchs and free contents, which would affect 100% of the players.

Between granting tools to an "elite" with no assurance that it wouldn't split/destroy a fragile community and working for everyone, we've invested in a now one-year follow-up.
You may criticize that choice, but calling us overtly greedy would be, at best, excessive.

Now, we can't tell neither "we will release modd tools" nor "we won't release modd tools", for it is still something we're considering but is not a priority: we think that free contents have more value, for affecting more people, than modd tools.

artao wrote:the dissatisfaction amongst their PAYING CUSTOMERS regarding this issue. If we shut up about it, they'll think we're okay with things as they are.

You've bought a finished product, and then you've had additional free content.
If you're not OK with that, then don't buy. It is your right.

Now, why didn't you get an answer before? Because of your insulting attitude and offensive behaviour ...
From your first posts, I've made myself a rule not to answer any of your message or it could get dirty.
Now that I've broken my own rule, lets make it clear: one more post of yours that I feel slightly offensive to us, making an excessive use of caps or just trolling, and I'll ban you once and for all.
Dissent may be expressed as long as it remains sound and expressed properly. Insults won't be tolerated.

You know what, honestly, i was quite impress by the fact that W:EE had so much "FREE DLC", new map, new mode, even a new part to campaign. If you could add new vehicle in WALB, then you will be even more awesome :D But on the other end, i would realy like an option to set custom starting amount of money ( to a certain limit ) i'm realy missing those 10K points game :D I know WEE wasnt made for it, but it was EPIC battles.
We, The Canadian soldier never quited.
We, never surrended,
We, never lost a war.
Yet, we lose many of ours.
Lest we forget those who fell in the flanders field.

Neighbor Kid
Private

Postby Neighbor Kid » Sat 30 Mar 2013 05:43

I really want to see a mod team create a WW2 mod that is jsut as indepth as this game.. or even the EE makers create a ww2 game with such depth... as in the various M4 shermans the a1,2,3,4, the 76's Tiger variations etc.. Id love to see it. Zoom in and watch a tiger pick off shermans and cromwells, and t-34's as they cross the field, to a halftrack that tows in a 105 or 155 sets up and fires off salvo after salvo.

Shoot i think bringing a naval aspect would be amazing, im unsure how but im sure someone would figure it out, would have to be i guess super scaled down ships, but i would be amazed! I hope some amazing modders get the tools or EE makes a massive indepth realism ww2 game like they did with this one!

EDIT- just bought and tried RUSE and order of war.. didnt really like either of em.. Wargame with ww2 would be much much better.

Fri13
Lieutenant

Postby Fri13 » Tue 2 Apr 2013 17:16

Neighbor Kid wrote:I really want to see a mod team create a WW2 mod that is jsut as indepth as this game.. or even the EE makers create a ww2 game with such depth... as in the various M4 shermans the a1,2,3,4, the 76's Tiger variations etc.. Id love to see it. Zoom in and watch a tiger pick off shermans and cromwells, and t-34's as they cross the field, to a halftrack that tows in a 105 or 155 sets up and fires off salvo after salvo.

Shoot i think bringing a naval aspect would be amazing, im unsure how but im sure someone would figure it out, would have to be i guess super scaled down ships, but i would be amazed! I hope some amazing modders get the tools or EE makes a massive indepth realism ww2 game like they did with this one!

EDIT- just bought and tried RUSE and order of war.. didnt really like either of em.. Wargame with ww2 would be much much better.

WW2 is so last season. Thats why it is so fresh that wargame is about cold war aka modern units instead all-seen Tiger vs others and so on.

More interesting would be to get WW1 war, lots of infantry to throw to bushes and towns, huge time spent in static fronts and... wait a minute! Thats how many players play WG! Only a biological and chemical weapons are missing and gas masks...

Nokhal
Staff Sergeant

Postby Nokhal » Mon 8 Apr 2013 00:21

If not for modding tools, is there at least a map editor with some basinc scripting possibilities planned ?
Much like the one who was in the first Cossacks release :
-You can't edit unit or create new one
-You can't change the mechanism of the game
-You can't create new graphical elements or anything.

Only things you can do is to create script and modify the "land" part of the map. And those script were exactly the same as in the various mini campaign of the game.

You created the campain maps with a tool, why not release it to the public ? There is some very creative players out there that could provide us awesome content, that may eventually reach the "global" public in a dlc, much like Fatal Error.

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Sat 13 Apr 2013 11:27

It might work nicely if Eugen concentrated on making the core game and gave us just great multiplayer, then the community would create interesting scenarios for single player (or co-op?) over the years to come, providing replayability for the SP (just take a look at what steel panthers 2 has) and brand recognition for Eugen/Wargame.

Torrisco
Colonel

Postby Torrisco » Sat 13 Apr 2013 16:41

i know, that some people would like to modify things in WEE or WAB for their own use, but i can speak from the WIC expenrience. I made about 7 maps for WIC MW mod, even WIC MW mod is still being developed, but who plays it?
i finally got a bit bored because all i could do was playing against AI, since almost noone conected for 1 year to play in multi, i just could play with some guys at some point to try new changes with blahdy(the guy who is making it)
his idea is very good and his work excelent, but the community is so small and less of 5% uses actively the mod.
then you have other mods like no hope, what is a nonsense, powerful nukes able to destroy the gameplay in the firsts 5 minutes of game, and again, who uses it?
MW mod is the only mod still living by just 50 or 100 guys at much who uses it for skirmishes vs AI.

if i want to choose between give money to devs to make a new wargame or give the money to make mod tools, i will always choose the first option, as the "serious modders" finally get bored developing a mod with hundreds of code lines just for 40 or 50 people who almost never will meet in the same time frame to play and only will remain guys with enough knoweledge to implement nukes, expand tank ranges to 10km and add Chuck Norris with 1000hp 10/10/10/10 body armor, minigun as primary weapon, Tow 2 as second and Sidewinders as third weapon for "crazy mod"

TankHunter
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby TankHunter » Sat 13 Apr 2013 17:54

pffft, everyone knows Chuck Norris would have T80U main gun, Hellfires and AMRAAMs, :lol: .
"The Nazis entered this war under the rather childish delusion that they were going to bomb everybody else, and nobody was going to bomb them [. . .] They sowed the wind, and now, they are going to reap the whirlwind."