What would you do if Eugen hired you to remake every infantry tab from scratch?

Fade2Gray
General

Re: What would you do if Eugen hired you to remake every infantry tab from scratch?

Postby Fade2Gray » Thu 16 Feb 2017 04:54

James-Bond wrote:So when selecting a card it can be customized.

-Each base unit can be tweaked (Modular)
- Base unit would main indicate, training level,
UK Example:
Militia = Territorials
Regular= Fusiliers
Shock= Paratroopers
Elite= Royal Marines

Slot 1 Primary Weapon (Required) = Rifle/ SMG/ Carbine
Slot 2 Heavy Weapon (Optional)= Everything else, like AT, AA, LMG, Napalm, ATGM...
Slot 3 Heavy Weapon (Optional)= same as 2

You realize that the only units that it really makes sense to customize would be SF, right? Everyone else just uses what is given to them, there's no min-maxing anything.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

QUAD
Colonel

Re: What would you do if Eugen hired you to remake every infantry tab from scratch?

Postby QUAD » Thu 16 Feb 2017 08:32

Modular perk system per deck, joking aside.

You spend perk points to buff specific unit classes, certain specialization give you perk for free.

Armored decks with better ammo in their tanks/ATGM, infantry with better LMGs, faster chopper unload speed.

Perk examples: Air Assault (faster unload speed of choppers), Well Supplied (passive stat buff to all non plane units) Airfield (faster plane recharge) Advanced Armor (gives ATGM access to available heavy tanks and stat buff to mediums) Infantry Maneuver (+5kph for all infantry.)

Each coalition would have unique perks but some would be universal. This way, the Red Dragons for instance could spend points on giving their infantry speed and camouflage, but Scandinavia for example wouldn't have that opportunity.

Nonspent AP could be exchanged for perks as well, giving you the option to make a very elite but small army.
BUFF USA

James-Bond
Sergeant

Postby James-Bond » Fri 17 Feb 2017 02:14

Fade2Gray wrote:
James-Bond wrote:So when selecting a card it can be customized.

-Each base unit can be tweaked (Modular)
- Base unit would main indicate, training level,
UK Example:
Militia = Territorials
Regular= Fusiliers
Shock= Paratroopers
Elite= Royal Marines

Slot 1 Primary Weapon (Required) = Rifle/ SMG/ Carbine
Slot 2 Heavy Weapon (Optional)= Everything else, like AT, AA, LMG, Napalm, ATGM...
Slot 3 Heavy Weapon (Optional)= same as 2

You realize that the only units that it really makes sense to customize would be SF, right? Everyone else just uses what is given to them, there's no min-maxing anything.

Probably right, just an Idea, also it may simplify certain things,
East-Germany has 4 different units of Shock Infantry? while if you had a base class you could customize allowing to create the unit you want.

QUAD wrote:Modular perk system per deck, joking aside.

You spend perk points to buff specific unit classes, certain specialization give you perk for free.

Armored decks with better ammo in their tanks/ATGM, infantry with better LMGs, faster chopper unload speed.

Perk examples: Air Assault (faster unload speed of choppers), Well Supplied (passive stat buff to all non plane units) Airfield (faster plane recharge) Advanced Armor (gives ATGM access to available heavy tanks and stat buff to mediums) Infantry Maneuver (+5kph for all infantry.)

Each coalition would have unique perks but some would be universal. This way, the Red Dragons for instance could spend points on giving their infantry speed and camouflage, but Scandinavia for example wouldn't have that opportunity.

Nonspent AP could be exchanged for perks as well, giving you the option to make a very elite but small army.

1st part: sounds good
2nd part: Sort of like in CnC generals, the way each faction had a general who had a specialty?

Holy_crap
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Holy_crap » Fri 17 Feb 2017 03:02

It'd be interesting if you could add one extra free activation slot to any deck. You could scale this with weaker coalition's so that something like LJ might get 2-3 slots while CMW gets like 0-1.
Leader of the glorious Putsie Federation. Saucer 1st Class.
Steam - Tactical Tile Placement

urogard
Colonel

Postby urogard » Fri 17 Feb 2017 04:24

Holy_crap wrote:It'd be interesting if you could add one extra free activation slot to any deck. You could scale this with weaker coalition's so that something like LJ might get 2-3 slots while CMW gets like 0-1.

I think all nations which receive +20% or more avail bonus currently should get +1 slot in national deck by default.

M4jor
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby M4jor » Fri 17 Feb 2017 18:32

urogard wrote:
Holy_crap wrote:It'd be interesting if you could add one extra free activation slot to any deck. You could scale this with weaker coalition's so that something like LJ might get 2-3 slots while CMW gets like 0-1.

I think all nations which receive +20% or more avail bonus currently should get +1 slot in national deck by default.

Interesting idea....

The question is, in which category you get the additional slot?
Or do you suggest to give them all 6 slots across the board?

Honestly, I dont think this would be a big issue for balancing (balancing, loool, using that word is a joke in itself).
Maybe all individual nations that are not "majors" (so all nations except US, USSR, Israel) should get 6 slots per category in thematic and mixed decks. That would really give me a reason to play such a nation again, since i always get the feeling that exactly one slot is missing for me to make my deck work...

urogard
Colonel

Postby urogard » Fri 17 Feb 2017 20:16

M4jor wrote:
urogard wrote:

Interesting idea....

The question is, in which category you get the additional slot?
Or do you suggest to give them all 6 slots across the board?

I see no issue with 6 slots in each TAB

Do you receive more activation points per nation? No
Do you receive more units per card? No
Do you receive extra cards on any unit? No

Hence no problem ...

It's the same issue I have with the idiosyncratic way plane cards got restricted. In ALB you could have 2 cards of pretty much any plane, now it's mostly 1 only but sometimes it's up to 3 for completely worthless junk while other completely worthless junk still is only 1 card.
Not like giving planes 2 cards would allow you to place more planes in a deck, since it still costs the same amount of activation points, you don't get more planes for each individual card and you can still only pick 5 plane cards in a non-airborne deck.

Guggy
General

Postby Guggy » Sat 18 Feb 2017 01:20

I'd do full standardization ex, of infantry across the board. Replace and compensate for potentially overperforming stuff by qualifying it by general era.

Stinger, Igla, etc? Standardize accuracy, range, and HE across the board. Redeye and Strela worse but cheaper.

Use appropriate weapon graphics, but standardization of small arms too. Assault Rifle, Battle Rifle, etc.

Mako
General

Postby Mako » Sun 19 Feb 2017 05:09

Guggy wrote:I'd do full standardization ex, of infantry across the board. Replace and compensate for potentially overperforming stuff by qualifying it by general era.

Stinger, Igla, etc? Standardize accuracy, range, and HE across the board. Redeye and Strela worse but cheaper.

Use appropriate weapon graphics, but standardization of small arms too. Assault Rifle, Battle Rifle, etc.

I don't mind some variation, because right now it's just stupidly unequal, but I don't think we need literal stat clones.

The problem is when that variation goes over critical values like 5 vs 4 HE on MANPADS for example.

ATGMs being either fast and hyper accurate or slow and inaccurate is also really stupid.
If there's two kinds of players, those that like challenges and those that want a fair game, pubstomps should make everyone happy.

urogard
Colonel

Postby urogard » Mon 20 Feb 2017 06:17

Mako wrote:The problem is when that variation goes over critical values like 5 vs 4 HE on MANPADS for example.

ATGMs being either fast and hyper accurate or slow and inaccurate is also really stupid.

probably the other huge pet peeve of mine in this game
Planes getting arbitrarily shafted with 4 HE SRAAMS and PACT getting shafted with 4 HE manpads.

Return to “Wargame : Red Dragon”