Wargame franchise

Maxinator
Private

Wargame franchise

Postby Maxinator » Sun 28 Jun 2015 19:30

I heard that the Red Dragon is the last game of the franchise. It's true?

[DAY]Topspin2005
General

Re: Wargame franchise

Postby [DAY]Topspin2005 » Sun 28 Jun 2015 19:51

Maxinator wrote:I heard that the Red Dragon is the last game of the franchise. It's true?

No, devs just said that they make a break with it because they don't have enough ideas to make another epic game.
So there is no decission if it was the last part or we will see a new Wargame in the future.

Maxinator
Private

Postby Maxinator » Sun 28 Jun 2015 23:46

[DAY]Topspin2005 wrote:
Maxinator wrote:I heard that the Red Dragon is the last game of the franchise. It's true?

No, devs just said that they make a break with it because they don't have enough ideas to make another epic game.
So there is no decission if it was the last part or we will see a new Wargame in the future.

Thank you very much!!! I'm happy now

LightMonk
First Sergeant

Postby LightMonk » Mon 29 Jun 2015 06:04

Make it WW2.
WW2 had so many different scenarios and tactics which are fundamentally different then the ones used in modern warfare that it would make it very interesting to play it out in the Wargame franchise.

Pomegranate23
Sergeant Major

Postby Pomegranate23 » Thu 2 Jul 2015 22:21

Yeah, another RUSE would be fantastic :D

Oliver
Colonel

Postby Oliver » Sat 4 Jul 2015 20:33

Moved to the appropriate sub-forum.

SpitfireMK-Pony
Warrant Officer

Postby SpitfireMK-Pony » Sun 5 Jul 2015 00:38

LightMonk wrote:Make it WW2.
WW2 had so many different scenarios and tactics which are fundamentally different then the ones used in modern warfare that it would make it very interesting to play it out in the Wargame franchise.

As fun as WWII was, I see a few problems encountered with making it a Wargame.

1.) Lack of Infantry Transports. Lets take America for example, how many APC type vehicles did they have? I'm no expert, but all i can think of are the M5 and M3 Halftrack, trucks, and possibly jeeps.

2.) AT weapons, overall, you got the bazooka, PIAT, P-Faust, P-Shrek, and the various AT rifles which by 1942 had little use vs. tanks. You would need to include Anti-tank guns for this to work, which brings us to #3...

3.) Engine overhaul, you would need towed weapons, from AA guns to AT guns to Artillery.

4.) Many nations lacked equipment, How many Italian or Japanese Tanks can you think that would stand a decent chance against Shermans, Pershings, IS-2, KVs, Tigers, etc.

Personally, I would like something set in 1950 to 1960s. Slug it out with Sabres and migs that are actually top of the line in the game. T-55s and T-62 are the kings of the battlefield.

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Sun 5 Jul 2015 04:12

I don't think WWII would work well in wargame. It would remove too many of the mechanics and features that make wargame interesting.
Viker for ingen!

thenosh
Lieutenant

Postby thenosh » Sun 5 Jul 2015 07:25

Pardon me, where exactly did you "hear" that?
"Where is my T-80UK CV with top mounted BUK-M1?"

-Wargame global chat, somewhen somewhere-

QuickenRed
Staff Sergeant

Postby QuickenRed » Sun 5 Jul 2015 16:53

Also, ww2 is done to death. It got to the point where the actual conflict became a sterotype / meme actually.

There are hordes of gamers that think the first mission of CoD that starts with that great gimmick of not having a rifle is historically accurate or that, according to Spielberg, Germans were a bunch of bots (Wargame AI much? :) that would attack a town in human wave tactic just so our good guy GI Hanks gets his own Alamo and so on and so forth.

Games with cold war setting, like original Operation Flashpoint, Combat Mission Afghanistan and Wargame are a breathe of fresh air in historically set titles, that's one of their strongest points IMHO, so WW2 would not work for me.

I'd really love to see a take on WW1 in fact, obviously not built on the Wargame engine, but I'm aware that's incredibly hard to pull of because a static nature of WW1 would translate into boring game mechanics.