ASF pricing scheme discrepancies

urogard
Colonel

ASF pricing scheme discrepancies

Postby urogard » Mon 5 Dec 2016 17:32

TL;DR
Topic limited to: ASFs and most blatantly broken concepts of pricing, the units shown here do not constitute a comprehensive list of units where pricing needs to be adjusted but merely pointing out which factors are most often inconsistently applied when determining price (and consequently availability) of a unit.

Issue #1:
ASF pricing is all over the place, I wouldn't go as far as calling it broken, because for the most part there is some system to it, but the amount of irregularities is astonishing and it would be mighty time to finally have a look at it and clean it all up.
Issue #2:
Pricing scheme of ASFs is done mathematically correct (although broken to the extent explained in Issue #1) but in a bad way from a game balance perspective.
Issue #3:
Would Eugen be willing to simply share the spreadsheet they use to calculate plane prices?
Subjective game balance Issue #4:
SA MRAAMs are overpriced, slapping a pair onto a plane costs as much as F&F missiles with the same accuracy (see provided example below). And consistently any plane with more than one pair of SA MRAAMs can be considered price inefficient and it gets worse if you're not carrying 60% Acc missiles.

WARNING: Wall of text, basic Mathematics and Pictures

Spoiler : Turn Rate: :
Turn rate can apparently be worth up to +5 points on a good enough plane

Though it's not always worth money if the plane is not good enough

Spoiler : ECM: :
On one hand ECM is worth approx +10 pts for each +10% increase

On the other hand it's apparently not always the case on lower values

And sometimes not only do you get free ECM, you also get free turn rate upgrade

But generally even on high end planes it continues with the same rate+
(turn rate +5, ecm -10)

Spoiler : Extra SRAAMs: :
2 extra crap SRAAMs add +10 cost

Interestingly enough it seems that even high end SRAAMs add +10 cost for each pair (or +5 if you include cost to add turn rate improvement)

Spoiler : Extra MRAAMs: :
While 2 extra F&F MRAAMs add +20 cost (or +15 if you include cost to add turn rate improvement)

But for some reason 2 extra SA MRAAMs also add +20

the loop is self-referencing but not contradictory when trying to remove a pair of SRAAMs (-10) and add a pair of LRAAMs (+20) you end up with the expected price increase of 10 points

Spoiler : Mixed Loadouts: :
Apparently +4 F&F MRAAMs are only worth 10 pts if you're not equipped with SRAMMs

But +4 F&F SRAAMs are worth 30 pts because it turns you a true ASF

Actually simply giving you +2 F&F SRAAMs is already worth 20 points because of ASF reasons (+25 points actually if you consider that you're reducing your turn rate)

So the conclusion is that it's cheaper to give you another 4 F&F MRAAMs than to slap a pair of short range vympels onto your wings.

Spoiler : High-End Stuff: :
Interestingly enough adding another pair of LRAAMs for a total of 6 increases the price by only +5 pts (imo justified)
ONLY if the assumption is true that eurofighter justifiably pays +5 points for a better turn rate

Alternatively you are allowed to receive a pair of SRAAMs AND a +5% accuracy on both LRAAMs and SRAAMs while only paying +5 pts (and let's not even mention the extra stealth)

Although what is apparently closer to reality is that Mica-EM carries apparently no cost increase so in the example before you just paid for the extra pair of SRAAMs

Spoiler : Cannon Cost: :
The following comparison suggests that the vulcan cannon carries no price tag over PACT guns
(+10 pts cost for +2 missiles)

Or other NATO guns for that matter

But now apparently adding a Vulcan cannon is worth 25 pts
(+10 pts cost for +10% ECM)

While at the same time adding a cannon AND +20% ECM does not warrant any price increase whatsoever
(we've established vulcan is equal in price to any other gun)

Spoiler : Missile accuracy: :
Someone might suggest that a +5% accuracy increase from 30% to 35% is worth 10 points

But then that makes you wonder why an increase by another 15% to a whooping 50% is not worth anything
(don't forget +10 pts cost for +10 ECM)

Spoiler : Random other example: :
+20% ECM, better SRAAMs and better turn rate is worth a total of +10 points

Suggested Changes to the pricing scheme:
Spoiler : F&F MRAAM loadout :
The benefit of receiving a pair of F&F MRAAMs depends on how many you already have.
If you have 4 already and get another 2 is A LOT less useful than if you have 0 or 2.
0->2 => +100% value of one pair and cost increase of designating plane as F&F MRAAM carrier
2->4 => +100% value of one pair
4->6 => +25% value of one pair

Spoiler : SA MRAAM loadout :
Unlike F&F MRAAMs, your planes will never stay in the air long enough to release more than 2 or 3 pieces at most. That's the main reason everyone hated the old SU-27SK and why it's still crap. 6 MRAAMs was an overkill which nobody wanted to pay for.
0->2 => +100% value of one pair and cost increase of designating plane as SA MRAAM carrier
2->4 => +25% value of one pair

Spoiler : F&F SRAAM loadout on MRAAM carriers :
Same rule applies to SRAAMs aswell
You might end up using 2 in most close battles. You will rarely use 4 and you will less than once out of 100 times use 6
0->2 => +100% value of one pair and cost increase of designating plane as F&F MRAAM carrier
2->4 => +33% value of one pair
4->6 => +10% value of one pair

Spoiler : F&F SRAAM loadout on Non-MRAAM carriers :
Same rule applies to SRAAMs aswell
If you have 4 already and get another 2 is A LOT less useful than if you have 0 or 2.
2->4 => +100% value of one pair
4->6 => +50% value of one pair

These are the standard responses to the expected trolling responses that crop up every single time such a thread is created:

Spoiler : "You can't place 2 units side by side and justify buff/nerf solely based on that" :
Then you don't understand what this thread is about. No one is suggesting nerfs or buffs to any of the displayed units. But placing 2 units side by side allows you to prove beyond any doubt that AT LEAST ONE UNIT has the incorrect price. If 2 units have identical stats except for one parameter, which is proven to carry a price tag in MULTIPLE cases, but carries no price in ONE PARTICULAR comparison then that is proof of incorrect pricing. This is a thread highlighting the units that must be looked at and have their prices corrected.

Spoiler : "You're not giving any value to turn rate/speed/SA-or-F&F/air detection/fuel/god-knows-what-other-irrelevant-stat" :
Either said stat carries no/insignificant value in the game (and you are welcome to prove it does carry a value if you decide to claim such a fact) or you will notice that I avoid to attempt to comparing units of different "classes" i.e. SA vs F&F | 750km/h vs 900 or 1000 km/h | 2-hit-kill ASFs vs non-2-hit-kill ASFs | terrible turn rate vs great turn rate.

Spoiler : "You can't compare prices like this because you ignored that Nation XXX has more expensive planes while it has access to cheaper YYY" :
That's a BS theory that some people pull out from where the sun shineth not and have never proven it even exists. You are welcome to post proof that this holds true and provide hard numbers by how much said unit should be cheaper/more expensive.

Spoiler : "You can't compare prices like this because unit XXX is a prototype" :
That's another BS theory that some people pull out from where the sun shineth not and have never proven it even exists. You are welcome to post proof that this holds true and provide hard numbers by how much said unit should be cheaper/more expensive. And in case it were then this is immediately putting forward the suggestion to stop nonsense pricing based on the arbitrary prototype tag.

Spoiler : "You can't justify a baseline comparison of Plane XYZ to draw a conclusion if that Planes price is incorrect in the first palce. " :
You are correct, and there are plenty such examples and I did my best trying to avoid using those planes as base comparison. I might have missed something but even if I did use them, that proves that planes have their prices all over the place. Also even then it means the pricing scheme is simply different from what I got and probably causes other planes prices to go off the scale

Spoiler : "Loadout price will be different for pure SRAAM or pure LRAAM or mixed carriers " :
You are correct, that's why I never compare the two classes between each other. The only example I took was to point out that apparently it costs half as much to strap extra LRAAMs onto a plane than it costs to make it a mixed carrier, which probably sounds like weird game balance to everyone and not just me.
Last edited by urogard on Mon 5 Dec 2016 18:27, edited 1 time in total.

Seryn
Sergeant Major of the Army

Re: Aircraft pricing scheme discrepancies

Postby Seryn » Mon 5 Dec 2016 17:41

planes are fine as they stand price-wise imo, i feel I pay the right amount for what I get (unless we look at Anti-Ship planes

RedFive

Postby RedFive » Mon 5 Dec 2016 17:44

You've ignored flight endurance on some of the ASF comparisons, an extra ~30s can increase their effectiveness significantly.

urogard
Colonel

Postby urogard » Mon 5 Dec 2016 17:55

RedFive wrote:You've ignored flight endurance on some of the ASF comparisons, an extra ~30s can increase their effectiveness significantly.

read pre-written response #2 in OP

RedFive

Postby RedFive » Mon 5 Dec 2016 18:12

urogard wrote:
RedFive wrote:You've ignored flight endurance on some of the ASF comparisons, an extra ~30s can increase their effectiveness significantly.

read pre-written response #2 in OP

Yeah, that stamina is useful. An ASF loitering over your lines is often enough to keep you opponent from sending gound attack planes your way. Longer loiter times = longer time preventing enemy planes from attacking. I assumed this would be obvious.

urogard
Colonel

Postby urogard » Mon 5 Dec 2016 18:24

RedFive wrote:Yeah, that stamina is useful. An ASF loitering over your lines is often enough to keep you opponent from sending gound attack planes your way. Longer loiter times = longer time preventing enemy planes from attacking. I assumed this would be obvious.

I still don't understand, are you suggesting increased loiter time has value which is actually reflected in the ingame pricing scheme which is what I haven't considered when comparing prices?

keldon
Major

Postby keldon » Mon 5 Dec 2016 18:24

This is a quite well summerized list. Although i don't know if this would help change anything, but you have my like.
亲们!大国梦哦! viewtopic.php?p=964119#p964119 小钱钱,真心甜,鼓钱包,放腰间,大国梦,早日圆

urogard
Colonel

Postby urogard » Mon 5 Dec 2016 18:28

keldon wrote:This is a quite well summerized list. Although i don't know if this would help change anything, but you have my like.

Not a comprehensive list of units, rather only pointing out the factors which determine price are being applied inconsistently.
The whole system is too convoluted to be able to come up with a formula without engaging in some serious regression analysis of all unit stats. (which is a pain to do without exporting all unit stats)
Last edited by urogard on Mon 5 Dec 2016 18:29, edited 1 time in total.

Razzmann
General

Postby Razzmann » Mon 5 Dec 2016 18:29

urogard wrote:inconsistently.

Wargame summarized in one word.

urogard
Colonel

Postby urogard » Mon 5 Dec 2016 18:30

Razzmann wrote:
urogard wrote:inconsistently.