Strong/Viable Nations, Meta

Partibrejker
Command Sergeant Major

Re: Strong/Viable Nations, Meta

Postby Partibrejker » Mon 6 Mar 2017 03:00

My naive idea of the general thing going on(I prefer all team games to 1v1), though instead of listing nations(except for USA, Israel and USSR) I shall post coalitions, since I rarely play nations alone(more toys the merrier!!!), also I do not play moto decks so for that I lack the knowledge:

BLUES

USA - Jack of all trades, masters of some, best pick and mix army in the game in my opinnion, the only thing theyy lack is atgm infantry unit, it has the best tank m1a2 in game, most versatile air force, bloody longbow and old good unicorns known as ATACMS(the unit that has delete button instead of fire position), Patriot that is has 70% acc and by far the longest range in game. People mostly dislike it's infantry, but truth to be told they are can get the job done, but do not expect Hollywood miracles, though you do get fire support unit SMAW which is, in my opinion, the best of its kind in game (use it against infantry, it eats their morale faster than pacman eats yellow balls).
Unit that I like the most: Hornets, Apache helicopter line, CEV tank.
NORAD - imagine it as the USA with wider air force options and much better infantry options, plus you can get Lepoard mexas tanks, and those are always nice. +ADATS & usually overlooked Chimeras. Airborne deck is what I like to pull off (go go Canadian rifles and highlanders!!! ) Unit that I like the most: Mexas, Canadians and all that I've already listed from Americans.
Commonwealth - Pretty, pretty good AA net especially for stopping helicopters, you get stormer and adats that can shoot at every vehicle, tanks that just kick ass and have a lot of armor on them, infantry is very nice too, at the moment one of my favorite coalitions in the game. I love going armored with it, since I think that you get the best AA units in the game for a armored deck armored variant, also I had interesting success going airborne.
Unit that I like the most: Tanks, SAS, durable transports, SASR, 90 point Jaguar ATGM variant.
Scandinavia - masters of infantry, their transports also kick ass, fastest shooting arty in game, cool twist on mortars with amos, they lack a superheavy tank, helis are uninteresting, pretty solid AA, and I also love to experiment with their airplanes, plus they have best cluster bomber in game. +my most favorite unit in the game - Ottomatic. -mechanized,
Unit that I like the most: FSK, FSK, FSK, Amos, Ottomatic.
Eurocorps - I like to look at them as agresive and bit more mobile commonwealth. Aka - you switch challenghers for lepoards and you get rapid fire leclerc. France has the glass cannon tanks, Germany has the MVP Leopards. Also you get (in my oppinion) best ASAF in game - the Rafale and most fun helicopter unit in the game - Puma 330H Cassiopee. Airborne, armored, mechanized, you name it - you can pull it off.
Unit that I like the most CassiOP, Legion '90, Leopards, Ceasar.
Dutch-Germans - You get Eurocorps, ditch the french stuff and get even more Leopards. You also get Stormtroopers and how cool is that :D + the mighty LANCE. I go armored on them
Unit that I like the most: just add recon tank to the list.
Landjut - I don't see a lot of people playing this, me personally I like the deck since it has the ottomattic. Basically it empovers Germans with wider infantry and AA choices and airplanes.
Unit that I like the most: Ottomagic and spec ops combo you can do.
Blue Dragons - They are pretty much Ying Yang, their stuff either sucks or kicks ass, you love them or you do not play them. Unit that I like the most: Kentucky Fried Chicken ASAFSEAD, Grenade launcher tank.
Israel - Mechanized kicks ass, airforce kicks ass, they lack AA, tanks are very, very solid. Well they are only nation in the game that never ever had a coalition with anyone, they are that solid. Did I mention that they also get tanks as a inf transport, vehicle that has armor like a tank for a vehicle transport, and fastest traveling antivehicle rockets that pack a punch. Big punch. Goliath is down kind of punch.
Unit that I like the most: Azcharit, Barak Obama 2, lar-160.

***********************************************************************************************************************

FREE JAZZ

USSR - the ultimate jack of all trades, they only lack the stuff that did not made it into the game, cannot go wrong with them. Great arty, very very good AA net, Spetznaz and VDV combo, BMPT, they are preety much play the way you imagine them to play.
Unit that I like the most: KA-50, Uragan, T-62-MV1
East Block - My favorite red infantry, very solid airplanes if you know to fly them, durable, but not very precise helicopters, Basically if Wargame was a fighting game on arcade machine they would be that guy that has all the stats right in the middle. They are the definition in this game of "Jack of all trades, but the masters of none". S-O-L-I-D.
Unit that I like the most: Komandosi, T55 Dyna, T-72 Moderna, Strop 2
Entente - What is crazier than one slavic group? Two slavic groups combined! So with this west/south Slav combo. In a one sentence - not a single thing in the kitchen gets thrown away. You get a couple of interesting cheapish unusual units, very, very, very good AA net, bloody solid tanks (keep in mind though that the middle class tanks will get chewed up by leopards), the mighty m84AN recon tank. The things they lack are uber helicopters uber bombers and uber SEAD. The infantry is very good (piece of advice, mix up Padobranci and Padobranci 90 for best elite effect).
Unit that I like the most: L-17K, Spat BOV 30, Granatomet, Plamen, m84AN
Red Dragons - need a buff. Though you can overcome your enemies, especially in the armor department, with the overwhelming numbers of your very cheap but very powerfull glass cannon tanks. You also get to strap weak AA rockets to everything. Also if you have the guts - use North Korean MiG 29, you can do wonders with it.
Unit that I like the most: Anything that has Strela strapped to its forehead.
Baltic Front - Redfor masters of infantry, glass canon tanks, not so good airforce, not so good helicopters, though support units are nice, very flavorish nation if you get the hang of it.
Unit that I like the most: Bushmaster 2 cannon, Finnish MiG 21, Polish MiG 29, Finnish t55 recon tank.

From my side of view, if I would be forced to rank it for how they suit me when I wanna play to win it would be:
Spoiler : :
1.Norad
2. USSR/Commonwealth
3. Eurocorps
4.Israel/Entente
4,5. Scandinavia
5. E. Blok/Baltic
6. DutchGermans
7. Landjut
8. Asia

From my side of view if I would rank it by how much fun am I having:
1. Norad
2. Yugoslavia/Entente
3. Eurocorps/Scandinavia
4. Commonwealth/USSR/
5. Asia
6. Baltik/Israel/Landjut
7. DutchGermans
8. E. Blok.

That would be it if you have any questions or deeper analysis of something feel free to ask :)
Last edited by Partibrejker on Mon 6 Mar 2017 03:39, edited 8 times in total.

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Mon 6 Mar 2017 03:04

Sleksa wrote:They are hardly at a disadvantage in a conventional (heavy infested forest vs heavy infested forest) situation due to coalitions generally having a top superheavy followed by a secondary that usually drops 2-5 points in ap/armor combo (m1a2 vs whichever 20 armor 23 ap version comes after or chally 2 & chally 1.3). On the other hand entente actually has 2 top superheavy cards which are 1 point away from the golden standard, meaning they suffer less from losing their supers than most coalitions do. And this is all without considering the single greatest f&f atgms on the soup colibri with a efficient evac pattern, the eryx 2.0's, apilas 2.0's and other high ap deterrents.

With the M1T being buffed, the only existential disadvantage the entente has anymore is in a somewhat lackluster recon infantry choices, which is still above average to half the other coalitions in the game. However this isn't much of a problem as the recon tab overall remains above everything else with nod's stealth tanks.
Of course their disadvantage goes away with forests as they can then ignore the slight stat inferiority of their tanks and levy their inf AT effectively. I said across smoked fields which means longer distance with people actively countering AGM planes.

Wouldn't call recon infantry a disadvantage, Spec. Jed. are hardly lackluster.

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Mon 6 Mar 2017 04:03

urogard wrote:Superheavies are the latest rage

I must have missed a memo, what happened? In the December patch there doesn't seem to be much change (just T-80UM) :?

Last from superheavies I recall them becoming ATGM plane bait. Other than that they have been the go-to tank of WG:RD. A bit sad if true - otherwise the balance has felt really good for a good while. (Since maybe the mid-tier tank buffs I'd say, though there has been further improvements too, can't really say how the game would be different though.)

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Mon 6 Mar 2017 04:51

varis wrote:I must have missed a memo, what happened? In the December patch there doesn't seem to be much change (just T-80UM) :?

Last from superheavies I recall them becoming ATGM plane bait. Other than that they have been the go-to tank of WG:RD. A bit sad if true - otherwise the balance has felt really good for a good while. (Since maybe the mid-tier tank buffs I'd say, though there has been further improvements too, can't really say how the game would be different though.)
By latest, he probably meant just what the current meta is, which is indeed super/heavy.

The last big meta shift for heavies has been the popularity of smoke making superheavies viable in big open fields.

R3d Sh4mbala
Sergeant Major

Postby R3d Sh4mbala » Mon 6 Mar 2017 07:19

If it was nationals only, DDR takes the cake, with its really flexible deck choices IMHO.
Everything from cheap to expensive huge variety of capability.
Doesn't get punished for high tech like USSR does. Doesn't feel like a minor nation like in ALB.

Good all around workhorse. [Although there are people with reservations on that scenario.]

urogard
Colonel

Postby urogard » Mon 6 Mar 2017 10:40

varis wrote:
urogard wrote:Superheavies are the latest rage

I must have missed a memo, what happened? In the December patch there doesn't seem to be much change (just T-80UM) :?

LGBs changed

problem for superheavies wasn't atgm planes but LGB's, now they are mostly a non-issue.
ATGMs are a threat, but unlike atgms, LGBs used to erase tanks every single time they got released while atgms can miss

Sleksa
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Sleksa » Mon 6 Mar 2017 10:51

KattiValk wrote:The last big meta shift for heavies has been the popularity of smoke making superheavies viable in big open fields.

You can find the first known examples of this already from the go4wargame tournament several years ago, however it was used more as a desperation thing if the player had been pushed off a certain forest area or had to come from a weird angle.

the reason why keeping tanks in smoked up points in the middle of big open fields has been relatively rare is due to most key areas of maps having enough forestry in them to let the tanks sit inside safely, as well as the smoking requiring constant attention, a dedicated smoker and a drain on supply to keep the tank smoked up. But even in those cases a slight fuckup in the timings will lead to a f&f atgm plane saying hello to it, and unless you also have your aa smoked up in there (and the enemy somehow doesn't pound the crap out of the smoked area to get easy aa kills), you won't even be able to punish the atgm let alone trying to kill it before it kills the tank.

Steamfunk
Lieutenant

Postby Steamfunk » Mon 6 Mar 2017 11:05

the reason why keeping tanks in smoked up points in the middle of big open fields has been relatively rare is due to most key areas of maps having enough forestry in them to let the tanks sit inside safely, as well as the smoking requiring constant attention, a dedicated smoker and a drain on supply to keep the tank smoked up.

I prefer to use smoke offensively - this is more applicable to small maps or a low points/tactical game. I might use mortars in those circumstances, the rest of the time it's SPGs.

KattiValk
General

Postby KattiValk » Mon 6 Mar 2017 11:22

Sleksa wrote:You can find the first known examples of this already from the go4wargame tournament several years ago, however it was used more as a desperation thing if the player had been pushed off a certain forest area or had to come from a weird angle.

the reason why keeping tanks in smoked up points in the middle of big open fields has been relatively rare is due to most key areas of maps having enough forestry in them to let the tanks sit inside safely, as well as the smoking requiring constant attention, a dedicated smoker and a drain on supply to keep the tank smoked up. But even in those cases a slight fuckup in the timings will lead to a f&f atgm plane saying hello to it, and unless you also have your aa smoked up in there (and the enemy somehow doesn't pound the crap out of the smoked area to get easy aa kills), you won't even be able to punish the atgm let alone trying to kill it before it kills the tank.
The act of dropping smoke on a tank is hardly a new concept, but its use in the heavy meta is. That is to say, heavies becoming the staple tanks eventually grew to also encompass heavy defensive smoking which proliferated and became more popular, thus becoming a new aspect of meta.

Tiera
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Tiera » Mon 6 Mar 2017 12:20

3-stack of superheavies, light mortar, some recon for spotting and AA + ASFs to counter heloes and ATGM planes.

Use Entente with Modernas for maximum dankness, but any superheavy stack will do.

Keep 'em smoked, pop in and out of the cloud cover to kill targets with one salvo, and keep your land battleship on the move to avoid cluster.