Recon helicopters spotting planes

Richard
Corporal

Recon helicopters spotting planes

Postby Richard » Wed 15 Mar 2017 15:10

Can a recon helicopter with very good optics spot a plane with poor stealth earlier than a recon helicopter with good optics?

And how do recon helicopters with exceptional optics compare to those with good optics in the same situation?

throwaway
Lieutenant

Re: Recon helicopters spotting planes

Postby throwaway » Wed 15 Mar 2017 15:42

Seryn
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Seryn » Wed 15 Mar 2017 16:47

Richard wrote:Can a recon helicopter with very good optics spot a plane with poor stealth earlier than a recon helicopter with good optics?

And how do recon helicopters with exceptional optics compare to those with good optics in the same situation?

I use recon of all kinds all the time for plane finding, or Cheap Behind-the-scenes AA with its equipment turned off so I get all the view with none of the we-have-been-spotted-go-loud nonsense. But yes, Helos can, The Optics ? I have no answer to, beyond my pay grade.

Richard
Corporal

Postby Richard » Wed 15 Mar 2017 17:45

Thank you for the information. I am not sure how to interprete this though:

Does it mean that a helicopter with very good optics spots a plane earlier than one with good optics because air optics are 50 pts higher? And does it mean a helicopter with exceptional optics has no advantage in this regard over one with very good optics as both have air optics of 170 pts?

Or does it make no difference whether you have good / very good or exceptional optics because for all three the spotting cap vs. planes is 7000m and all three can spot a plane with poor stealth at 7000m?

Do air optics only make a difference if stealth of the plane is better than poor? So better air optics can spot a plane with for example medium stealth earlier?

Seryn
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Seryn » Wed 15 Mar 2017 18:43

Richard wrote:Thank you for the information. I am not sure how to interprete this though:

Does it mean that a helicopter with very good optics spots a plane earlier than one with good optics because air optics are 50 pts higher? And does it mean a helicopter with exceptional optics has no advantage in this regard over one with very good optics as both have air optics of 170 pts?

Or does it make no difference whether you have good / very good or exceptional optics because for all three the spotting cap vs. planes is 7000m and all three can spot a plane with poor stealth at 7000m?

Do air optics only make a difference if stealth of the plane is better than poor? So better air optics can spot a plane with for example medium stealth earlier?

Generally speaking, Better Optics means better spotting range, been this way since RUSE.