An Idea

ardi223
Master Sergeant

An Idea

Postby ardi223 » Tue 30 May 2017 14:49

Hey i had question when you load and atgm squad on the heli why cant they shoot from the heli?the same goes for AA squads too
I want Lena Katina :mrgreen: :D 8-)

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Re: An Idea

Postby FrangibleCover » Tue 30 May 2017 17:50

In the very early days of armed helicopters one of the test pilots took up a handful of rockets to try them out. When he got to the range, he lined up on the target, pushed the trigger and there was a loud whooshing noise but no rocket streaked towards the target. Perplexed, he fired the rest of the rockets to no discernible effect. It was only when he was empty that he realised that the rockets, not being designed for employment in this manner, were being turned in mid-air by the downdraft and flying up through the rotor blades and he was very lucky not to have had one strike a blade and destroy it and him.

So, for that reason and because the recoil and gases of such a system are likely to be unpleasant inside a helicopter, no. If you can find reference to it being done successfully in real life that's really cool and you should post it but until then it's a bad plan.

Edit: Helicopters, even the crap early ones, do not suck.
Last edited by FrangibleCover on Wed 31 May 2017 01:45, edited 1 time in total.
[Non-included Nation] Belgium - Now with Spreadsheet!
[Non-included Nation] Pakistan

Razzmann
General

Postby Razzmann » Tue 30 May 2017 18:18

FrangibleCover wrote:In the very early days of armed helicopters one of the test pilots took up a handful of rockets to try them out. When he got to the range, he lined up on the target, pushed the trigger and there was a loud whooshing noise but no rocket streaked towards the target. Perplexed, he fired the rest of the rockets to no discernible effect. It was only when he was empty that he realised that the rockets, not being designed for employment in this manner, were being sucked up through the rotor blades and he was very lucky not to have had one strike a blade and destroy it and him.

:shock:

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Tue 30 May 2017 18:34

ardi223 wrote:Hey i had question when you load and atgm squad on the heli why cant they shoot from the heli?the same goes for AA squads too

Guess. In addition to the problems described above ATGMs and MANPADS have backblasts. Backblasts that has to vent into the helicopter. And thats not taking into account the nightmare that is trying to set your weapon up in the first place inside a moving helicopter.

This is a milan ATGM, Where do you mount it so that it is stable?

I've actually done a helicopter insertion exercise with a Javelin team in bell 412SPs. And can tell you that this is not something that is doable.
Viker for ingen!

ardi223
Master Sergeant

Postby ardi223 » Tue 30 May 2017 20:43

ok how about small arms? they can be fired from helis?
I want Lena Katina :mrgreen: :D 8-)

Holy_crap
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Holy_crap » Tue 30 May 2017 21:46

ardi223 wrote:ok how about small arms? they can be fired from helis?

North Korean snipers are trained to fire with perfect accuracy while flying 330 km/h in their Mi-25s.
Leader of the glorious Putsie Federation. Saucer 1st Class.
Steam - Tactical Tile Placement

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Tue 30 May 2017 22:06

orcbuster wrote:This is a milan ATGM, Where do you mount it so that it is stable?

Oh, it's worse than that. This is what happens when you fire a MILAN:
Note the big-ass tube flying off the back of the system at roughly a third of the speed of the missile. That's very likely to be unpleasant to someone in a helicopter and it's entirely possible the person it's going to be unpleasant to is not the MILAN team but one of the pilots, an understandably poor idea.

orcbuster
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby orcbuster » Wed 31 May 2017 00:13

ardi223 wrote:ok how about small arms? they can be fired from helis?

they can in theory but in practice as you want it, no. Not really. Thats the door gunners job and he has a mounted weapon infinitly more suited for the job. Never heard of a standard utility helicopter stabilizing so that a regular infantry squad it is transporting can use it as a firing platform for their personal small arms. Not to mention how ergonomically impractical that would be.
Viker for ingen!

Eukie
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Eukie » Wed 31 May 2017 01:19

FrangibleCover wrote:In the very early days of armed helicopters one of the test pilots took up a handful of rockets to try them out. When he got to the range, he lined up on the target, pushed the trigger and there was a loud whooshing noise but no rocket streaked towards the target. Perplexed, he fired the rest of the rockets to no discernible effect. It was only when he was empty that he realised that the rockets, not being designed for employment in this manner, were being sucked up through the rotor blades and he was very lucky not to have had one strike a blade and destroy it and him.

The rotorblades that are blowing air downwards to lift the helicopter? I'm a bit skeptical...

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Wed 31 May 2017 01:43

Eukie wrote:

The rotorblades that are blowing air downwards to lift the helicopter? I'm a bit skeptical...

Sucked isn't exactly true, but it is what I think he wrote. They were probably old type aircraft rockets so they'd have a big fin at the back and relatively less side area at the front. This means that a strong draught onto the side of them will create a moment pushing the back of the tail down until it is parallel to the air flow, where the fins would stabilise it like they're meant to (I hear the RPG-7 does this too, it's not total conjecture). Problem is, that means the rocket is now pointing straight upwards and the motor is still burning. From inside, if you're crapping yourself, this would look quite like a suck.

That's how I've always explained that story. Could also be that it's total bullshit or I remember it wrong. It seemed relevant though.