The Art of Soviet Airborne [Reboot Edition]

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: The Art of Soviet Airborne [Reboot Edition]

Postby another505 » Thu 22 Jun 2017 21:11

Fade2Gray wrote:
Razzmann wrote:
another505 wrote:take consideration that my main fighting force are elite vdv 75 and a mix of veteran and elite vdv 90, not usual USSR motorshreilki, hardened vdv90 or morskaya.
CMW infantry fus 90 and SAS gets outclass, and gurkha are not price efficient as mine, canadian rifles with th495 spam has been nerf, highlanders 90 has really no impact on a vdv deck that doesnt run with tanks. Canadian airbornes 75 arent as common anymore, so im not sure here, but i think they drop their rank in MG hierarchy. Can. Airborne 90 are going to be outgrinded by the quantity and quality of elite vdv 75.

So yes.

I think you forgot about Commandos '90....

You beat me to it, Commandos '90 are utterly lethal when it comes to infantry on infantry fighting.

Oh well, interesting thread, and I'm going to give a VDV deck a try. Going to be real niche considering my play style and ability, but I think it'll be fun.

Oh wow i actually forgot about commando90

Experience wise they are pretty equal but i think btrd could give an extra edge. Wouldnt mind to test them

To fade, you need a good teammate who you can trust about tanks and know what you can do or not. It is frustrating to see teammates buying kamovs and asf instead of tanks when you are in the team......
Of Salt

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Thu 22 Jun 2017 22:00

another505 wrote:To fade, you need a good teammate who you can trust about tanks and know what you can do or not. It is frustrating to see teammates buying kamovs and asf instead of tanks when you are in the team......

I know, though generally I'm with randos/quasi-randoms because I don't really ever have a set team. I'm often in the odd lobby or joining on Deck Cheney (LOL yes he is still around) or Gafroor's 4v4 lobbies. I think I know how I could make it work for a few niches, and it sounds like it could be fun to play, especially if I'm with players I know are fairly solid.

Only thing that I worry about is that while I'm getting better with handling air, it is still the weakest link in the chain for me.
Think you have what it takes to enlist into the military? You sure about that?

another505

Postby another505 » Thu 22 Jun 2017 22:08

Fade2Gray wrote:
another505 wrote:To fade, you need a good teammate who you can trust about tanks and know what you can do or not. It is frustrating to see teammates buying kamovs and asf instead of tanks when you are in the team......

I know, though generally I'm with randos/quasi-randoms because I don't really ever have a set team. I'm often in the odd lobby or joining on Deck Cheney (LOL yes he is still around) or Gafroor's 4v4 lobbies. I think I know how I could make it work for a few niches, and it sounds like it could be fun to play, especially if I'm with players I know are fairly solid.

Only thing that I worry about is that while I'm getting better with handling air, it is still the weakest link in the chain for me.

You can always play with me <3
Of Salt

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Thu 22 Jun 2017 22:09

another505 wrote:
Fade2Gray wrote:

I'm sorry bae, you are almost never on when I'm playing. </3

another505

Postby another505 » Thu 22 Jun 2017 22:21

Fade2Gray wrote:
another505 wrote:

I'm sorry bae, you are almost never on when I'm playing. </3

:( i will be back in canada by september
Of Salt

Fade2Gray
General

Postby Fade2Gray » Thu 22 Jun 2017 22:30

This is why I never do long distance relationships, because they are never there for you when you need them.

:P

Holy_crap
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Holy_crap » Fri 23 Jun 2017 02:13

another505 wrote:
Holy_crap wrote:Also pre-carbine standardization SASR terminator squads would have minced elite VDV

It would have but it wouldnt mince elite spetz

idk I've seen SASR chew through spetsnaz in cities, I'm not sure about forests though.
Leader of the glorious Putsie Federation. Saucer 1st Class.
Steam - Tactical Tile Placement

James-Bond
Sergeant First-Class

Postby James-Bond » Sun 25 Jun 2017 03:25

another505 wrote:
James-Bond wrote:Very interesting Thread, what decks would you say are most difficult & easiest to play against using Soviet airborne?

Good question,
a brief answer is that Israel would be the hardest, you have to early AIR BURST to win since their ground force is very tough to beat. You need to kill their ASF and start steamrolling or else you are in a world of shit
TZEFA E and Barak 2 makes life hard.

Norad with patriot is annoying in team games, but not so much in 2v2.

DCSG and Scandi Mech requires air domination to beat the minimi or mg3 horde.

CMW is an easy opponent, weak cheap ASF. No good a2a helo,. Their ifv is mediocre in general and their infantry is weaker

Scand General has weak AA, so air domination is possible . In addition their infantry is not as good, so even without air domination it is fine.
BD is generally weak, cause their infantry and airforce is weaker.

I find it intriguing that you say CMW is Easy. (I like playing UK/CMW)
If I see Russian Air decks, I don't pick Scandinavian or German, as it's usually a KA-52 & fellow helocopters laugh at my Ground AA
followed by a whirlwind of SEAD planes.

SAS can be irritating when in cover, especially buildings.
I think the Stormer AA is Great against helicopters
Marksman is alright, 2 top armour is nice.
Will Admit Rapiers aren't great, but they are cheap and amphibious
I prefer to go for 2x Elite Euro-fighters. I use them very cautiously, as it's a unit I can't afford to lose.

Now on the bit about infantry
Is SASR now just same as Delta-Force but with slightly better AT weapon for 5pts more?
I prefer Royal Marines mainly for the AT weapon, but a lot of people seem to like Gurkas.
people have mentioned Commandos '90 are good vs infantry.
however all this will mean nothing when elite Spetsnaz turn up and set them on fire.

One cost effective combo, I like is:
Fusliers '90 + Warrior (&/or Milan ATGM on it) + Centurion ARVE = 65 or 70pts
Centurion ARVE can cause a lot of damage to groups of enemies.
Fusliers '90 main job is to destroy any vehicles
Warrior can just attack/ finish off units.

Spoiler : Picture Ingame :
In game, when I was thinking about this thread :lol:
u1.jpg
u1.jpg (151.87 KiB) Viewed 159 times

Quick look at kill feed post game, had the combo in a few areas
u10.jpg
u10.jpg (143.73 KiB) Viewed 159 times

I will admit the person I was playing against ingame using the Russian air deck is probably not the same skill level as you.
They did arty my position but it was inaccurate. I think their assault would been more effective if they used mortars to stun or smoke the Centurion ARVE instead of trying to attack it head on.
They eventually killed that group when an IL-102 bombed them, but the IL-102 was shot down before it could EVAC.
-----------------

finally what about Eurocorps, are they a thorn in your side?
I know the Roland has very short Anti-Plane Range,
but they seem to have a lot of annoying stealthly units. Tiger Helos, Rafale, VBL Mistral etc,

another505

Postby another505 » Sun 25 Jun 2017 11:03

James-Bond wrote:
another505 wrote:
James-Bond wrote:Very interesting Thread, what decks would you say are most difficult & easiest to play against using Soviet airborne?

Good question,
a brief answer is that Israel would be the hardest, you have to early AIR BURST to win since their ground force is very tough to beat. You need to kill their ASF and start steamrolling or else you are in a world of shit
TZEFA E and Barak 2 makes life hard.

Norad with patriot is annoying in team games, but not so much in 2v2.

DCSG and Scandi Mech requires air domination to beat the minimi or mg3 horde.

CMW is an easy opponent, weak cheap ASF. No good a2a helo,. Their ifv is mediocre in general and their infantry is weaker

Scand General has weak AA, so air domination is possible . In addition their infantry is not as good, so even without air domination it is fine.
BD is generally weak, cause their infantry and airforce is weaker.

I find it intriguing that you say CMW is Easy. (I like playing UK/CMW)
If I see Russian Air decks, I don't pick Scandinavian or German, as it's usually a KA-52 & fellow helocopters laugh at my Ground AA
followed by a whirlwind of SEAD planes.

SAS can be irritating when in cover, especially buildings.
I think the Stormer AA is Great against helicopters
Marksman is alright, 2 top armour is nice.
Will Admit Rapiers aren't great, but they are cheap and amphibious
I prefer to go for 2x Elite Euro-fighters. I use them very cautiously, as it's a unit I can't afford to lose.

Now on the bit about infantry
Is SASR now just same as Delta-Force but with slightly better AT weapon for 5pts more?
I prefer Royal Marines mainly for the AT weapon, but a lot of people seem to like Gurkas.
people have mentioned Commandos '90 are good vs infantry.
however all this will mean nothing when elite Spetsnaz turn up and set them on fire.

One cost effective combo, I like is:
Fusliers '90 + Warrior (&/or Milan ATGM on it) + Centurion ARVE = 65 or 70pts
Centurion ARVE can cause a lot of damage to groups of enemies.
Fusliers '90 main job is to destroy any vehicles
Warrior can just attack/ finish off units.

Spoiler : Picture Ingame :
In game, when I was thinking about this thread :lol:
u1.jpg

Quick look at kill feed post game, had the combo in a few areas
u10.jpg

I will admit the person I was playing against ingame using the Russian air deck is probably not the same skill level as you.
They did arty my position but it was inaccurate. I think their assault would been more effective if they used mortars to stun or smoke the Centurion ARVE instead of trying to attack it head on.
They eventually killed that group when an IL-102 bombed them, but the IL-102 was shot down before it could EVAC.
-----------------

finally what about Eurocorps, are they a thorn in your side?
I know the Roland has very short Anti-Plane Range,
but they seem to have a lot of annoying stealthly units. Tiger Helos, Rafale, VBL Mistral etc,

you have no wheel long range helo AA, wolverine is not bad as defense but not for opening. You dont have adequate A2A helo to stop a VDV deck helo opening either.

SAS is irritating, but doesn't stop an air assault opening.
I honestly rarely see marksman, beside they still die to rpg29, SEAD and ATGM planes.
yes, stormer is nice. But so does many coalition has decent AA too, i dont find it particular much better than others.
Rapier dies to air to ground planes really easy in my opinion, mig21bis can easily kill it once spotted.

you have 2 eurofighters, which still is out beat by my airforce. CMW has an average elite ASF but no good cheap ASF is a problem

SASR is rare for me to see, even so, I got Spetz if enemy SF are really a problem
Centurion AVRE are a problem, thankfully got nerf, dont see them as much and vdv90 can solve them

well, about your combo, it depends on the terrain. against a town, i would have konkursm and gorno 90
against the forest,
fus90 main job is to kill vehicles but i dont have any heavy vehicles
Warrior DPS is low, the only threat there is the avre which i will try to destroy asap.

yea, the person isnt good, i would never use BMD-3 nowaday, and in forest.

Now, i would be clear that I didn't meant CMW is easy as I would steamroll it, but in comparison to other coalitions, it is relatively easy.
The hardest would be grinding out CMW with avre and commando 90 but i would say its pretty equal, but i would still have AIR BURST of helo and planes advantage.

For example, EC has crotale, its wheeled which is annoying against in opening, and its cheap and abundant, making it not worth the risk for planes to kill it.
They have potent A2A helo, Tigre HAP, celtic.
Their IFV has way more DPS than CMW. Marder 1 are way stronger than Warrior and price effective than TH495.
Roland is weaker than Rapier in my opinion, but rapier isn't so much better and EC has ASF of Mirage RDI which are very good price effective ASF, that I wouldnt risk a single yak141 to go for it as RNG could be cruel. Rafale is better than any ASF i have.

Now i think of it, NORAD is quite easy other than patriot being very dang annoying in team games, and DAPS and longbow are a problem.
Of Salt

James-Bond
Sergeant First-Class

Postby James-Bond » Sun 25 Jun 2017 12:16

All very valid points, would be upset seeing you dissect my beloved commonwealth.
Basically we all hide around the ARVE hope the VDV go away. :lol: