Since WG support will soon be over, i was thinking into switching to SD.

J0h1F
Private

Re: Since WG support will soon be over, i was thinking into switching to SD.

Postby J0h1F » Mon 3 Jul 2017 22:11

damoj wrote:
Mike wrote:
Aus Askar wrote:I think it's just evidence that Cold War Gone Hot and World War 2 are two separate audiences. I wonder if we'd see a similar split if Wargame decided to eschew the Cold War in favor of a Modern setting.

Going from the Cold War to now isn't the jump from WW2 to the Cold War is, so I'd suspect not really.

Technological disparity between nation-states would encourage an AoA/C&CG style of asymmetry, unless the focus was on advisers and special operators with proxies (NATO-Ukraine v RF-Donbass, GCC-Yemen v IRI-Houthi, RF/IRI-Syria v NATO/Israel-FSA, etc etc).

Well, there are a lot of mostly symmetric wars that could break out in the near future (Eugen wouldn't have hard time scripting the story of the buildup), and be similar to the campaigns in RD.
Eg. USA - China, Poland - Russia, Finland - Russia, Sweden - Russia, Ukraine - Russia, Japan - China, ROK - PRK, Saudi-Arabia - Iran, Israel - Iran, India - China, Pakistan - India, Greece - Turkey, Turkey - Russia etc.
While most of these wouldn't have a completely equal power balance, there's more than enough symmetry in equipment and tactics in all of the countries (especially if prototypes and would-be acquisitions are again included) to be able to build comparable decks. The campaigns would once again be mostly large alliance based like Korean War II, but that'd be no problem.

Even Ukraine could put up a serious conventional defence against Russia in an all-out war if they had what it takes for a large-scale mobilisation - while they would inevitably lose the real deal war in the long run without outside help, they have enough equipment to allow competitive decks in terms of gameplay. Only tiny nations and/or militarily weak factions like the Baltics (Estonia, Latvia, Lithuania) or war-torn countries and their rebels of any kind would be problematic to include for a conventional setup, but the game would do just fine without them.

HrcAk47
Colonel

Postby HrcAk47 » Mon 3 Jul 2017 22:51

"Realistic" modern warfare in a RTT/RTS game is a recipe for failure, tbh. Look at Call to Arms. It's just bad, and it started from such a successful predecessor on a great engine. Modern warfare killed it.

That having been said, I was attracted to Wargame because it was doing something quite fresh in a nice way - Cold War, something that's remarkably untouched by the mainstream gaming. I would not bother following a hypothetical 2000-2010-2020s Wargame. But that's just me.
The SEAD never bothered me anyway.

SMB Yugoslavia Retexture Mod, now released, v.1.0

Stoffen
Private

Postby Stoffen » Tue 4 Jul 2017 09:50

Steel division is (unfortunately) despite the opposite intention, a non-linear escalation type game that sees units play in a non intuitive way (eg. 20mm armored cars defeating tanks). Also movement is punished so the game is super static which means that the arty is more effective. Overall, you have many of the realistic elements of ww2 warfare - but a completely gimmicky deployment of troops.

Meme: Division 1914 fuck your tanks - use airborne troops
Waiting for wargame 4 is like waiting for Godot

Holy_crap
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Holy_crap » Mon 10 Jul 2017 05:12

RUSE 2 pls
Leader of the glorious Putsie Federation. Saucer 1st Class.
Steam - Tactical Tile Placement

chykka
Brigadier

Postby chykka » Mon 10 Jul 2017 06:33

You could always attract more people that are history buffs, I saw Indi Niedell do a video with some of the creators of Verdun.

McNash
Lieutenant

Postby McNash » Tue 11 Jul 2017 00:57

The question is, why did Eugen Systems decided to make a WW2 game when the market is saturated with WW2 games, what is worse, despite being a niche, the strategy genre is filled to the brim with WW2 games.

It's basically like what Relic did with DoW, tried to turn it into a MOBA despite no one asking them to do so in a market already dominated by very powerful companies.

D-Core
Sergeant

Postby D-Core » Thu 13 Jul 2017 18:14

SD now has less players on average than RD in the last 30 days.

Just throwing my 2 cents out there on why I didn't buy SD:
1. Beta ran and looked like absolute dogshit on my PC compared to RD.
2. Another WW2 game focused on Normandy.
3. Got features that Wargame didn't get despite having 3 installments, like official mod support and spectator mode, which I felt was a spit in the face of Wargame fans.
4. Paradox as a publisher has a history of milking their games with a ton of DLCs, and also ridiculous regional price at the time of launch (now reverted, thankfully).

Better luck next time, Eugen. Hope to see another Wargame installment.

thelizardofdoom
Staff Sergeant

Postby thelizardofdoom » Fri 14 Jul 2017 15:34

I stopped playing SD just due to the imbalance. Just like COH 1, the Germans are just a superior faction, and will always win against people of equal skill.
Yes im aware my grammar and spelling are dreadful. Email complaints to android for having terrible software or eugen for having a mobile unfriendly site.

captaincarnage
Major

Postby captaincarnage » Fri 14 Jul 2017 17:08

thelizardofdoom wrote:I stopped playing SD just due to the imbalance. Just like COH 1, the Germans are just a superior faction, and will always win against people of equal skill.

Tell that to the Wehraboos :lol:
I hope your buratino's die screaming.

Holy_crap
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Holy_crap » Fri 14 Jul 2017 17:56

captaincarnage wrote:
thelizardofdoom wrote:I stopped playing SD just due to the imbalance. Just like COH 1, the Germans are just a superior faction, and will always win against people of equal skill.

Tell that to the Wehraboos :lol:

Actually imho the Allies are stronger rn. 101, 6th AB, and 2 ID are very strong and able to easily outclass the germans in Phase A and early Phase B with superior infantry and fire support. Tanks don't really matter since you can just stun them will perpetually air spam and call ins.
Leader of the glorious Putsie Federation. Saucer 1st Class.
Steam - Tactical Tile Placement