West-Germany (or hoping without hope)

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Re: West-Germany (or hoping without hope)

Postby FrangibleCover » Fri 29 Sep 2017 20:45

Vulcan 607 wrote:
captaincarnage wrote:
Razzmann wrote:Eh, it is the only CMW plane with mid range F&F missiles, so it is a must have for team games imo.

Wasn't there a Harrier loadout with AIM-120s (more or less) ITF?

Yeah that would be the Fa2 sea harrier, 2 amraams to aim 9's no gun. Eugen and their loadout policy...but heh we got a SEAD plane :lol:

FA2 Can have 2 aim120b 4 aim9 2 30mm Aden

Or the max load of 4 AIM120b

Or grab yourself an ADEN 25 since it's a prototype unit anyway (2 flying on trials in 1991). 2x 120, 2x 9M would be a cracking loadout, slightly let down by the low speed of the Harrier platform. Another alternative might be the Tornado F.3 CSP which is basically "A Tornado F.3 but with AMRAAMs", more realistic than the Eurofighter but probably less useful.
[Non-included Nation] Belgium - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Hungary - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Pakistan

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Fri 29 Sep 2017 20:57

Aden 25 was for the RAF harrier II wouldn't have been fitted too the sea harriers

Wolski
Private

Postby Wolski » Fri 29 Sep 2017 22:25

FrangibleCover wrote:
Vulcan 607 wrote:
FrangibleCover wrote:Aside from balancing out the unfairness of the UK getting a cool sounding prototype fighter and West Germany getting a less cool sounding prototype fighter, what would adding a Eurofighter to Germany actually achieve? It'd be an overexpensive and card limited option which has its job done for cheaper by the KWS and in Eurocorps also has its job done better by the Rafale. Additionally I don't think that Germany ever adopted the AIM-9M so the Eurofighter would be considerably worse than the UK one, comparable to Gripen but with more missiles and therefore more expensive.

Well Germany was still part of the ASRAAM project and the US was still going to buy it would like the RAF typhoon to get ASRAAM.

I suppose you could add ASRAAM on the Eurofighters but that makes them yet more expensive and still worse than the Rafale.

Would it really be that much worse? The ASRAAMs were designed to have longer range than standard IR guided air to air missiles if I'm not mistaken. So they would probably give them (or at least they should) 5600m range instead of the standard 4200m with the same accuracy and HE etc. So the Eurofighter would then be able to start firing of it's missiles earlier then the Rafael.

On the other hand I would really like to see them with IRIS-T missiles instead but unfortunately they were developed a little to late for RD...

Markenzwieback
Captain

Postby Markenzwieback » Sat 30 Sep 2017 10:18

Honestly, West-Germany doesn't particularly need the Eurofighter. For basic ASF purposes, the KWS is just fine. Instead people should argue for other things like PzH2000 (Eurocorps armored SPG), infantry buffs (10 point Jäger and others), Leo 2 optics or maybe even recon Leopard 2.
Try another signature of that kind and you'll get banned.

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Sat 30 Sep 2017 11:10

Wolski wrote:
FrangibleCover wrote:I suppose you could add ASRAAM on the Eurofighters but that makes them yet more expensive and still worse than the Rafale.

Would it really be that much worse? The ASRAAMs were designed to have longer range than standard IR guided air to air missiles if I'm not mistaken. So they would probably give them (or at least they should) 5600m range instead of the standard 4200m with the same accuracy and HE etc. So the Eurofighter would then be able to start firing of it's missiles earlier then the Rafael.

True, but the ASRAAM is likely to trade its range advantage for being no more accurate than the MICA IR and the AMRAAM is less accurate than the MICA EM. I'd rather land the first hit than get the second shot off sooner.

On the other hand I would really like to see them with IRIS-T missiles instead but unfortunately they were developed a little to late for RD...

And developed with the technical assistance of ex-East German R-73s which West Germany wouldn't have access to if the wall never fell. Not that anyone pays any attention to these rules any more.

Markenzwieback wrote:people should argue for other things like PzH2000 (Eurocorps armored SPG)

Like I say, the M109A3GA1, the 100 point sop Howitzer that was given to West Germany instead of the PzH 2000, could justify a 15 second aim time. That might just be enough to give it a niche.
[Non-included Nation] Belgium - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Hungary - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Pakistan

Wolski
Private

Postby Wolski » Sat 30 Sep 2017 19:16

FrangibleCover wrote:
Wolski wrote:On the other hand I would really like to see them with IRIS-T missiles instead but unfortunately they were developed a little to late for RD...

And developed with the technical assistance of ex-East German R-73s which West Germany wouldn't have access to if the wall never fell. Not that anyone pays any attention to these rules any more.

We could pretend that in this alternative universe in which WRD is taking place there was a similar situation to the one in which NATO got their hands on the MIG25 but with a fully armed MIG29 instead.

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Sat 30 Sep 2017 23:56

Vulcan 607 wrote:Or the max load of 4 AIM-120B

Check yourself.
Courtesy of KattiValk

Vulcan 607
Major-General

Postby Vulcan 607 » Sun 1 Oct 2017 10:32

Mike wrote:

Check yourself.

Use it all the time on CMANO very effective at killing flankers

Nathan des Lessings
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Nathan des Lessings » Sun 1 Oct 2017 21:50

Markenzwieback wrote:Honestly, West-Germany doesn't particularly need the Eurofighter. For basic ASF purposes, the KWS is just fine. Instead people should argue for other things like PzH2000 (Eurocorps armored SPG), infantry buffs (10 point Jäger and others), Leo 2 optics or maybe even recon Leopard 2.

But it would make it more enjoyable.
Wer kämpft, kann verlieren. Wer nicht kämpft, hat schon verloren.

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Mon 2 Oct 2017 02:54

Vulcan 607 wrote:
Mike wrote:

Check yourself.

Use it all the time on CMANO very effective at killing flankers

I'm referring to the B part when no one else in game has the AIM-120B.
Courtesy of KattiValk