Wargame: Inferno

Moderators: Eugen Team, Focus Team

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Re: Wargame: Inferno

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sat 5 Dec 2015 21:31

I'm still very intrigued. What classes/.ndfbin's did you mod?
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.0 RELEASED! Click -> Image

Soundwolf776
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Soundwolf776 » Sat 5 Dec 2015 23:03

Yup, details are welcome. I see a way to include "weak zones" into otherwise heavy frontal armor through precisely reconfigured critical hit - same for Pk for vehicles, by the way - but this should cause all kinds of broken behaviour with HE and rapid-fire weapons.

Pyro
Staff Sergeant

Postby Pyro » Sun 6 Dec 2015 01:17

Soundwolf is on the right track, I use a heavily modified critical hit system. I'm about to leave for work and will be out of internet for quite a while (travelling) so let me expand on this later. Rapid-fire weapons are not a problem, and I think I can work the HE correctly - testing still in progress.

Soundwolf776
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Soundwolf776 » Sun 6 Dec 2015 01:53

Rapid-fire weapons are not a problem, and I think I can work the HE correctly - testing still in progress.

Well, I was contemplating revamping a critical system to my needs for W:RD version of WG:1984 mod - in the end though, I found that it was too inflexible with too little values exposed and customizeable to take different weapons into account. Now, I don't exactly remember the details and didn't test it extensively, but I think FFARs and automatic grenade launchers will be a pain in the ass due to their insanely high chances to inflict a whole swath of critical hits with one salvo. And I don't remember any way to configure the crit chances on per-weapon basis.

Pyro
Staff Sergeant

Postby Pyro » Sun 6 Dec 2015 03:37

Soundwolf776 wrote:
Rapid-fire weapons are not a problem, and I think I can work the HE correctly - testing still in progress.

Well, I was contemplating revamping a critical system to my needs for W:RD version of WG:1984 mod - in the end though, I found that it was too inflexible with too little values exposed and customizeable to take different weapons into account. Now, I don't exactly remember the details and didn't test it extensively, but I think FFARs and automatic grenade launchers will be a pain in the ass due to their insanely high chances to inflict a whole swath of critical hits with one salvo. And I don't remember any way to configure the crit chances on per-weapon basis.

Quick answer for you - just modify 102: x: 618 Bounds to say 1:1000 instead of 1:10. Allocate your buckets say 1:100 is a hull lower hit, 101:300 is a glacis hit, etc. Allocate your original criticals to say 1:10 which will occur on 4%* of all hits.

There is much, much more to this but I don't have time right now, e.g., *4% because criticals are rolled for four times with every hit. I'll be back online in about 18 hours or so.

And perhaps you can help me - how do I set up a test opponent? I'd like to play the computer and be able to specify the deck used by the computer opponent - how do I modify the existing computer decks?

Pyro
Staff Sergeant

Postby Pyro » Mon 7 Dec 2015 04:21

Forcing critical hits.

First method. Modify the hit probability collections to set the minimum crit to 1. Drawback is that even if a round misses then a critical will still be rolled. This is not the behavior I wanted so I abandoned this method.

Second method. Set the chance to roll criticals in the experience collection - ie for Rookie, Veteran, etc. Now a critical will be rolled for every hit.

In both cases, up to four criticals are rolled each time. I think that two are rolled for the basic hit, and two for splash damage. Why two? I speculate that it's because the game will roll multiple criticals when very high values occur.
Last edited by Pyro on Mon 7 Dec 2015 10:55, edited 5 times in total.

Pyro
Staff Sergeant

Postby Pyro » Mon 7 Dec 2015 04:51

Using criticals to set P KO - simple example.

Set the damage tables to reflect P KO. Example: gun AP of 24 against armour class 18 has a P KO of 30%, so put 3 in the appropriate Armure container. The value can be a non-integer if desired, so 3.5 would be a P KO of 35%. (This assumes max HPs of target is 10).

When a hit occurs, the game engine applies the basic damage, then rolls the criticals in the order listed. If multiple criticals are rolled, as is often the case, the entire list of criticals is rolled before going back and starting over. However, the basic damage is only applied the first time, never more than once.

If at any point the cumulative damage exceeds the maximum HPs, the process finishes and the target is dead. If at any point the cumulative HPs are less than zero, they are reset to zero.

In this example we use 10 criticals to determine P KO. We set a 10% chance to roll AddDamages of 0, 10% chance to AddDamages of 1, ... 10% chance to AddDamages of 9. So with an initial damage of 3, seven out of the ten possible AddDamage possibilities will add 0-6 HPs, and the target will survive. If an AddDamages of 7, 8 or 9 are rolled (a 30% chance) then the total HPs exceed 10 and the target dies.

The last AddDamages should be set to occur 100% of the time, and the damage should be -10. This will only occur if a hit has failed to kill the target, and it's purpose is to reset the HPs to zero.

The criticals will be rolled a further three times but the initial damage will not be applied. Since the maximum random AddDamages is 9, none of these re-rolls will kill the target, and all will be healed at the end.
Last edited by Pyro on Mon 7 Dec 2015 10:52, edited 1 time in total.

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Mon 7 Dec 2015 05:07

Pyro wrote:And perhaps you can help me - how do I set up a test opponent? I'd like to play the computer and be able to specify the deck used by the computer opponent - how do I modify the existing computer decks?

Woah, you're explaining all this stuff that's over my head, and finally something I know.

Decks are in TShowRoomNdfDeck, and you can figure out what units are in it by editing the UnitPack.

But I'll be happy to test things if you need a tester. I'm more free on weekends than weekdays though.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.0 RELEASED! Click -> Image

Pyro
Staff Sergeant

Postby Pyro » Mon 7 Dec 2015 05:10

Adding ordinary criticals.

Ordinary criticals can still be used, but be aware that they are rolled four times on every hit. So you must adjust the rolling bounds. In vanilla the bounds are 1:10. If you make the bounds 1:1000 then the ordinary criticals can be set to fire at say 1:5 to give approximately 2% chance to get an ordinary critical on each hit (4 times 0.5%).

If you use bounds of 1:1000, then the AddDamages become1:100 to add 0 damage, 101:200 to add 1 damage, 201:300 to add 2 damage, ... 901:1000 to add 9 damage.

I would use percentages, so 1:10 would add 0 damage, 11:20 add 0.1 (1%), 21:30 add 0.2, 31:30 add 0.3, ... 991:1000 add 9.9 (99%). This allows finer gradation for the P KO.

The last "healing" AddDamages becomes 1:1000 to add -10 damage.
Last edited by Pyro on Mon 7 Dec 2015 10:53, edited 2 times in total.

Pyro
Staff Sergeant

Postby Pyro » Mon 7 Dec 2015 10:51

The W:AB Noob wrote:
Pyro wrote:And perhaps you can help me - how do I set up a test opponent? I'd like to play the computer and be able to specify the deck used by the computer opponent - how do I modify the existing computer decks?

Woah, you're explaining all this stuff that's over my head, and finally something I know.

Decks are in TShowRoomNdfDeck, and you can figure out what units are in it by editing the UnitPack.

But I'll be happy to test things if you need a tester. I'm more free on weekends than weekdays though.

Thanks W:AB Noob, I will take you up on that; probably not immediately but soon (depending upon how fast I can write this variant up). Right now it would be too boring for you - I'd have to link up with you, carry out specific tests, rewrite code to test something else, play out test, etc. It's dull and painstaking because I make one change to see what happens.

Thanks for the tip, I already suspected that. There's quite a few packs linked there. What I'd like to do is to select the last opponent in the drop down list (16 Tank Rgt, Polish armoured battlegroup), and have that opponent spawn only certain unit types. So I need to find the top of the deck tree, so that I can adjust all the pointers below that to the desired unit type. Does this make sense? Where is the top of the tree? I think it is 355: TShowRoomNdfDeck but I haven't experimented to find out yet.