Dedicated server for LAN?

sam hamwitch
First Sergeant

Dedicated server for LAN?

Postby sam hamwitch » Mon 6 Jan 2014 15:18

Basically, this is to ask if it's possible (and allowed) to host a dedicated server for use on a LAN.

My friend is hosting a LAN party and I was hoping to play some Wargame at it. The LAN will have internet but I don't think the quality of the connection will be very good since it'll be delivered by a directional antenna several hundred metres away that will connect to the router that the LAN is on. It should be fine for allowing players to login to the wargame servers but I'm worried that 10+ players all trying to play on a dedicated server on the net will be too much for the wireless to handle. So I wondered, what if I could set up a dedicated server within the LAN? The server would still have internet access but I was hoping to keep all the actual game traffic in the LAN so as to rely on the internet connection as little as possible.

Is this even possible? And would Eugen allow it? I realise the server would show up on the server list for the whole world to see, but it'd only be running for about 24 hours and I'm happy to give it a name like "private LAN server" and put a password on it so that nobody outside can join.

naizarak
Captain

Re: Dedicated server for LAN?

Postby naizarak » Mon 6 Jan 2014 20:56

i believe players connecting from the same subnet as the server will be routed via LAN automatically

L'@nge
Warrant Officer

Postby L'@nge » Wed 15 Jan 2014 11:07

Ok, it should be possible to do that but you will have to specifyfor the +ip option the local ip where there is the dedicated (for example 192.168.0.125). It won't be visible by other players since they will try to ping this IP and no server will answer on their side.

On other side, if possible, don't let this server running when you don't play since it is not very useful that all players ping 192.168.0.125 ...

sam hamwitch
First Sergeant

Postby sam hamwitch » Sun 19 Jan 2014 13:09

Thanks a lot!

EDIT: And don't worry, the LAN will go for 2 days max and I'll make sure to turn the server off when we're not playing on it.

sam hamwitch
First Sergeant

Postby sam hamwitch » Thu 30 Jan 2014 08:52

Just a quick update in case anyone is looking to do something like this themselves. I've just tested it on my home network and as far as I can tell it seems to work! As L'@nge says when you start the server you just specify the local private IP address of your server (i.e the address that it uses on the LAN, e.g 10.0.1.25). After I did this I logged into wargame on my gaming PC and I could see the server, join it and get it to start a game just fine. I asked a couple randoms on wargame chat if they could see it and they told me that they couldn't, which makes sense. Since my computer would have been communicating with the server using the private IP address, and since people on the internet couldn't see it, it seems reasonable to assume that all the traffic between the server and clients stays on the network and never goes out on to the net at all.

Thanks to Eugen for being cool enough to let their players do stuff like this, and also to L'@nge in particular for being so helpful!

bflance
Corporal

Postby bflance » Mon 17 Mar 2014 23:21

well,

from what i know it works in following way:

1. you setup "dedicated" server on your machine.
2. the server software (wargame2-server.exe) will speak with "eugen server" - provided the KEY and login are correct.
3. if successfull, your dedicated server will be visible in multiplayer brower window.

with all that in mind, i think you cannot host "LAN only" games, you still require the "eugen servers" part.

so i think best way to make "lan party" is to simply create your dedicated server with password and let people join.

also, not that since all local clients go from same gateway, they will essentialy speak only with "eugen/dedicated" server and thus only small traffic will go out of router.

again, maybe i am missing sometihng, but i think that wargame is not internet traffic demanding game.