Sound Modding

shomu1
Major-General
Posts: 3969
Joined: Mon 29 Apr 2013 08:18
Contact:

Re: Sound Modding

Postby shomu1 » Fri 18 Apr 2014 16:17

I would like to be able to mod the game to play "Highway to the Danger Zone" whenever a Tomcat enters the field. :P
Image

IT IS FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

User avatar
The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General
Posts: 4523
Joined: Fri 12 Jul 2013 22:29
Location: United States, Central Time Zone
Contact:

Re: Sound Modding

Postby The W:AB Noob » Fri 18 Apr 2014 17:17

To quote myself:
The W:AB Noob wrote:After only a tiny bit of research, I doubt that it is decodable at all. I think .ess might be like Eugen Systems Sound or something like that, and of course, we don't have tools...


So unfortunately, this won't be possible.
shomu1 wrote:I would like to be able to mod the game to play "Highway to the Danger Zone" whenever a Tomcat enters the field. :P
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.0 RELEASED! Click -> Image

shomu1
Major-General
Posts: 3969
Joined: Mon 29 Apr 2013 08:18
Contact:

Re: Sound Modding

Postby shomu1 » Fri 18 Apr 2014 17:45

The W:AB Noob wrote:To quote myself:
The W:AB Noob wrote:After only a tiny bit of research, I doubt that it is decodable at all. I think .ess might be like Eugen Systems Sound or something like that, and of course, we don't have tools...


So unfortunately, this won't be possible.
shomu1 wrote:I would like to be able to mod the game to play "Highway to the Danger Zone" whenever a Tomcat enters the field. :P


Oh well. One can dream. :/
Image

IT IS FREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

MekBat-Jim
Specialist
Posts: 13
Joined: Wed 26 Sep 2012 09:20
Contact:

Re: Sound Modding

Postby MekBat-Jim » Wed 23 Apr 2014 19:41

Hmm... to bad.. I cant decode .ess files..

But i have managed to open the decription file to just swap some sounds in game.. I edited their path within the game structure... I tried to change path to a folder inside Wargame folder with no succes.

Looter
Sergeant
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed 5 Oct 2011 14:25
Contact:

Re: Sound Modding

Postby Looter » Sat 1 Nov 2014 22:10

Has anyone poked around with trying to reverse the file format of the .ess files? It could just be a simple format with some metadata and then the sound data itself. If its not some licensed middle-ware or codec they are using it would be nice if Eugen could just post the part of the header containing the ess format for tool authors.

User avatar
loosebruce
Master Sergeant
Posts: 170
Joined: Fri 17 Aug 2012 16:42
Contact:

Re: Sound Modding

Postby loosebruce » Tue 11 Nov 2014 16:16

Looter wrote:Has anyone poked around with trying to reverse the file format of the .ess files? It could just be a simple format with some metadata and then the sound data itself. If its not some licensed middle-ware or codec they are using it would be nice if Eugen could just post the part of the header containing the ess format for tool authors.


This

I am sure there is some sound tool out there to read headers from files, but if we don't know the header size it will be hard...
Image

Looter
Sergeant
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed 5 Oct 2011 14:25
Contact:

Re: Sound Modding

Postby Looter » Wed 12 Nov 2014 14:55

loosebruce wrote:
Looter wrote:Has anyone poked around with trying to reverse the file format of the .ess files? It could just be a simple format with some metadata and then the sound data itself. If its not some licensed middle-ware or codec they are using it would be nice if Eugen could just post the part of the header containing the ess format for tool authors.


This

I am sure there is some sound tool out there to read headers from files, but if we don't know the header size it will be hard...


I would guess it's as simple as a magic number describing the format as ess, maybe some codec information for all the sounds then a repetitive format describing each file in the fileblock later in the binary. I would look but don't have any ess files on hand at the moment. Does anyone know if wargame plays nice with debuggers attached?

User avatar
Darkmil
Brigadier
Posts: 3003
Joined: Mon 29 Oct 2012 15:17
Location: Lyon
Contact:

Re: Sound Modding

Postby Darkmil » Wed 12 Nov 2014 17:48

as far as I know the file format used is .ogg.
It is only the storage that use .ess file.
Image

User avatar
Vasto
Second-Lieutenant
Posts: 898
Joined: Sat 1 Jun 2013 19:26
Contact:

Re: Sound Modding

Postby Vasto » Wed 12 Nov 2014 19:44

Darkmil wrote:as far as I know the file format used is .ogg.


There are .wav files as well.
Image

User avatar
The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General
Posts: 4523
Joined: Fri 12 Jul 2013 22:29
Location: United States, Central Time Zone
Contact:

Re: Sound Modding

Postby The W:AB Noob » Wed 12 Nov 2014 20:00

Hm, so we can open up .ess using the Modding Suite? Or do we need something else?
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.0 RELEASED! Click -> Image

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests