Modding Questions Thread

FOARP
Sergeant

Re: Modding Questions Thread

Postby FOARP » Mon 30 Jan 2017 22:25

I must be doing something wrong, then, since when I open ZZ_WIN.dat I don't see anything. NDF_WIN.dat shows lots of files, but nothing in ZZ_WIN.dat when I open it with the modding suite.

EDIT: looking back through the different builds I find some localisation files in ZZ_WIN.dat files that seem to correspond to what was being done at that time (i.e., Israeli unit name localisation files from the time of the Israel DLC). Where's the files determining the make-up of battlegroups in the campaigns? Which build are they in?

And why on earth are things organised in this convoluted way?
Attachments
ZZ_win.png
ZZ_win.png (184.4 KiB) Viewed 228 times

Sireyn
Sergeant

Postby Sireyn » Tue 31 Jan 2017 04:14

Razzmann wrote:Hi,

another question. How can you assign a vehicle (or unit) as a transport?

This question has been answered in this thread. If you need a more detailed guide I can expound.
viewtopic.php?f=187&t=42266&start=40#p526871

FOARP wrote:
I must be doing something wrong, then, since when I open ZZ_WIN.dat I don't see anything. NDF_WIN.dat shows lots of files, but nothing in ZZ_WIN.dat when I open it with the modding suite.

You are right about the most recent ZZ_Win being blank; I should have checked it before commenting. The 510060540\510061340 folder contains the current ZZ_Win.dat.

EDIT: looking back through the different builds I find some localisation files in ZZ_WIN.dat files that seem to correspond to what was being done at that time (i.e., Israeli unit name localisation files from the time of the Israel DLC). Where's the files determining the make-up of battlegroups in the campaigns? Which build are they in?

I've successfully made campaign edits using the current game build's NDF_Win and the 430000587\430000609 ZZ_Win. To edit the campaign you should use the BGManager instead of the ModdingSuite. The download link on this forum seems to be dead so I'll create a temporary upload of the version I have. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B31b3sRWJAeiNUlmcUoxaUpLYUU
Here's a picture of my exact BGManager settings.
Spoiler : :

And why on earth are things organised in this convoluted way?

I can only guess. Maybe it's a limitation on the tools Eugen is using or it makes game updates simpler. You're not alone in your sentiments.

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Wed 1 Feb 2017 04:56

FOARP wrote:Hi Guys

I've modded a few games (Civ II, HOI etc.), but always they had simple text files which made it easy to do simply by changing values in them. WG is clearly a different beast.

How do I add battlegroups to a campaign? How do I edit existing battlegroups? For example, how do I add more Chinese militia regiments and tank battalions to the Pearl of the Orient campaign? Can I increase the Chinese morale so it's not so easy to win?

Using the modding suite I can see that PC\NDF\patchable\scenario\campdyn_crown_jewel\ndfscripting.ndfbin has something in it called TBattleGroupModuleDescriptor where moral/cohesion values for battlegroups can be edited, so I think I can edit the Chinese starting morale. There's something else called TBattleGroupDescriptionModuleDescriptor that appears to have localisation hashes that I guess correspond to names in a localisation files somewhere (where?) but I don't have a clue as to how the game knows what is in each battlegroup, where this information is stored, and how to add battlegroups to the campaign.

EDIT: I've seen people saying ZZ_Win.dat has the localisation information? Text editors like Notepad++ don't seem to be any good for editing it, and opening it in the modding suite shows a blank.

I can help you with editing battlegroups. There isn't a really complete tutorial on it and Wargame modding in general is much different than editing games by text. Friend me on Steam @ "The W:RD Noob" so I can help you one on one.

Razzmann wrote:Hi,

another question. How can you assign a vehicle (or unit) as a transport?

Literally answered in like any tutorial thread/compilation.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.0 RELEASED! Click -> Image

jonas165
Brigadier

Postby jonas165 » Thu 2 Feb 2017 14:09

Does anyone know how exactly the ScannerConfig Module works? More accurately, what do the values DetectionTBA and SpecializedDetections mean, and what is PorteeVisionTBA?
Alpha release. Click signature for more

Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Fri 3 Feb 2017 05:53

jonas165 wrote:Does anyone know how exactly the ScannerConfig Module works? More accurately, what do the values DetectionTBA and SpecializedDetections mean, and what is PorteeVisionTBA?

Good question, and someone asked me something similar pretty recently.

TBA in the ScannerConfig and TAmmunition instances refer to helicopters. Helicopter, plane, and naval spotting uses different values than the default, which is land units. DetectionTBA is the maximum distance from when the spotting unit can see an unidentified enemy unit. PorteeVision(TBA) is the maximum distance that the enemy unit can be identified. (IIRC, if PorteeVisionTBA is null, then PorteeVisionTBA = PorteeVision)

You will see that there are two SpecializedDetection map values. The keys (first number of the map value, aka 4 and 6 in most cases) refers to the UnitType value of the TScannerConfigurationDescriptor of the unit being spotted. 4 = Planes, 6 = Ships. So these are detection values for those unit types.

Hope this helps.

jonas165
Brigadier

Postby jonas165 » Fri 3 Feb 2017 08:09

Thanks alot, that does help!
Alpha release. Click signature for more

ZxRPGxZ
Private

Postby ZxRPGxZ » Fri 3 Feb 2017 12:34

What about sound modification?In witch format audio was coded in .ess file?

Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sat 4 Feb 2017 03:14

ZxRPGxZ wrote:What about sound modification?In witch format audio was coded in .ess file?

viewtopic.php?f=187&t=58765#p993248

CuteKitten
Corporal

Postby CuteKitten » Thu 9 Feb 2017 17:02

Hello,
I'm searching for the fastest way to make a unit disappear without deleting it.
Right now I'm simply changing the faction(BLUE<->RED) and it seems to work fine, but can this cause crashes?

Spectre_nz
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby Spectre_nz » Thu 9 Feb 2017 18:25

Hello,
I'm searching for the fastest way to make a unit disappear without deleting it.

On a units TUnitAuSol main page, just below the parameter MaxDeployableAmount is a list that says something like 'IsVisibleInMenu' (I can't remember the exact name off the topo of my head)

Open up that list, select the first 'True' value, uncheck the box so it becomes 'False'

The unit will now vanish from the armory.

If you do this to units that are first in a series in the armory (they're linked by the IsUnitUpgrade parameter in TUniteAuSol) then all the subsequent units will be hidden as well.