Wargame: Crimean Escalation (Alpha Release)

jonas165
Brigadier

Wargame: Crimean Escalation (Alpha Release)

Postby jonas165 » Sun 20 Apr 2014 16:38

Finally, Crimean Escalation gets it's first release! The Alpha version is out, which yet does not include all planned features, but this is mainly a gameplay test version. Of course, it is not fully balanced or even fully tested yet, some bugs might occur, some are already known (like not all weapons on planes being animated). Please report everything you notice, and also every idea you have to improve the mod. On content, this version includes Russia and the US, but I have not touched naval yet. Once again, I do not own the rights to the media files used in this mod, and I am not resposible for any damage it causes to your computer. I however hope you enjoy Crimean Escalation, so have fun!
IMPORTANT: Almost forgot that. Before you play Crimean Escalation, delete all decks containing Israeli or Yugo/Finish Units and set your game to English, if you haven't already.

Here is the download link

Story Trailer:

Spoiler : Features :
General:

- new deck system, introducing more slots for mixed decks, taking elements of both RD's and ALB's decks systems
- new nations and coalitions: For BLUEFOR, planned factions are the US, Eurocorps (Germany+UK) and UKRPOLBAT (Ukraine+Poland) and for REDFOR Russia and CIS (Belarus, Kazakhstan and Azerbaijan)
- smoke grenades on AFVs, used by pressing B and placing smoke near the vehicle
- air-liftable vehicles, many light vehicles can be spawned in heavy helos, even transports can be air-lifted, but not spawned in helos
- ripple-firing for advaned ATGMs and SAMs
- numbers of cards available per deck mostly increased (Basic MBTs for example, like the baseline M1A2 or the T-90, now get 5 cards)
- some helos and planes get more than 3 weapons, guns as hidden stats
- new unit cards for all units
- reskins made by me or other modders (for example poks infantry skins and aircrafts skins by FregFlogger, Vasto and Darkmil)

LOG:
- FOB supply increased in order to make all the new, supply-hungry equipment usable

INF:
- All shock infantry set to 10 men, all specialzed teams set to 5 men
- New unit type "Internal Troops" for former Eastern Block/Soviet Nations, anti-infantry shock units
- New unit type "Mortar Teams", infantry units with light mortars
- Individual stats for every infantry weapon

REC:
- "Scout Vehicles" like the BRDM-2 or the M3 Bradley, that have optics and are available as transports to recon units
- Naval utility helicopters as recon helos for marine decks
- All special forces moved to the recon tab

SUP:
- Guided arty shells for high-end howitzers and mortars, that allow taking down single targets with highly accurate shots, but have long aiming times and high supply costs. You can activate them by turning off the main weapon of the unit
- Ballistic missiles for all countries that have them
- Heavy SAMs for all countries that have them

TNK:
- APS simulated by ECM
- New unit type "Urban Warfare Tank" (for example M1A2 TUSK) with good optics, improved side and rear armor and high-HE canister shells with lower range

VHC:
- IFVs available to ATGM/MANPADS/Flame infantry

HEL:
- ECM for helos
- All dedicated gunships/ATGM helicopters moved to helo tab, radar-equiped helos still have xal optics
- increased optics for advanced gunships and utility helicopters

AIR:
- Some Cluster Bombs turned into HE weapons, as only few nations still operate them
- Stealth aircraft and multiroles more common
- UAVs that can spot ground targets

Ideas for future development:
- Land-, air- and seaborne cruise missiles and cruise missile defences
- Naval overhaul
- Option for NATO localization (NATO Codenames for Russian equipment)
- Jammers on SEAD aircraft
- Modified campaigns
- Sandbox Plugin
- Map Reskins
- Any other ideas are welcome!

Here is a picture of what a Russian Deck could look like.

Special thanks to:
Eugen Systems
pok
The W:AB Noob
Mikeboy
Darkmil
Vasto
enhoka
CrazyRus29
Butterless Toast
FregFlogger
and others from the wargame modding community for helping, advising, making tools like the modding suite or the mod installer and skins. Without you, this project would have been impossible.

NOTE: As the Crimea crisis is a banned topic on these forums, please leave politics out of here. I'd advise moderation staff to instantly delete any political discussion here.

Thanks for reading,
Jonas
Last edited by jonas165 on Tue 7 Mar 2017 23:17, edited 27 times in total.
Alpha release. Click signature for more

Corsair
Lieutenant

Re: Wargame: Crimean Escalation

Postby Corsair » Sun 20 Apr 2014 17:54

Looking forward to this

Moderen units: Due to missing models, I can´t include everything here I would like to, but I will try upgrade nations to the standard of today as far as possible, maybe including a few prototypes. But I generally aim for making the game less proto-relient and more built around conventional forces.

Well there's not so much new units in the inventory, maybe the T-90A or Khrizantema but I don't see any big gap here. Other stuff (Kornet, etc) do not require new models and things like T-80UD or T-84 can be reskined (although the base T-80 model is bad).
Last edited by Shifu on Sun 20 Apr 2014 21:32, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: language (fixed)

Rorschach
Lieutenant General

Postby Rorschach » Sun 20 Apr 2014 18:23

Are you adding a campaign, or will this all be for MP?

What about maps?
A brilliant plan from the dirtiest euro-hippie: get US players to pay me for a game that I then show them how much their military sucks so I can feel better about being a communist.

hanspeter_schnitzel
Command Sergeant Major

Postby hanspeter_schnitzel » Sun 20 Apr 2014 19:49

jonas165 wrote:[list][*]Less Factions, less units: For the beginning, I will only include Russia, the Ukraine and the USA. I might add European countries later (or a put them together as a "EU" faction). This low number of nations has two purposes: Easier balancing, by only having a small selction of units to balance against each other, and less work for me adding/changing units and bringing them to modern standards.
Jonas

Why not prioterize the EU over the USA...? Considering they are way closer and would be the first there to fight and would probably bring the biggest amount of force at the start?

Suriel
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Suriel » Sun 20 Apr 2014 20:02

hanspeter_schnitzel wrote:
jonas165 wrote:[list][*]Less Factions, less units: For the beginning, I will only include Russia, the Ukraine and the USA. I might add European countries later (or a put them together as a "EU" faction). This low number of nations has two purposes: Easier balancing, by only having a small selction of units to balance against each other, and less work for me adding/changing units and bringing them to modern standards.
Jonas

Why not prioterize the EU over the USA...? Considering they are way closer and would be the first there to fight and would probably bring the biggest amount of force at the start?

This. If there is war in Ukraine (by Odin, I hope it won't happen), you can bet on Poles waving sabres around.:)

Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sun 20 Apr 2014 21:06

Rorschach wrote:Are you adding a campaign, or will this all be for MP?

What about maps?

Lol...
No, we can not add a campaign nor add a map so it has to be for MP or skirmish
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.0 RELEASED! Click -> Image

Rorschach
Lieutenant General

Postby Rorschach » Sun 20 Apr 2014 21:13

The W:AB Noob wrote:

What about maps?

Lol...

You cannot add new campaigns? Not even completely linear ones, with no choices?
A brilliant plan from the dirtiest euro-hippie: get US players to pay me for a game that I then show them how much their military sucks so I can feel better about being a communist.

Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sun 20 Apr 2014 21:18

Rorschach wrote:
The W:AB Noob wrote:

What about maps?

Lol...

You cannot add new campaigns? Not even completely linear ones, with no choices?

Nope :D
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.0 RELEASED! Click -> Image

jubedy
Command Sergeant Major

Postby jubedy » Sun 20 Apr 2014 21:23

That's actually an interesting idea... It would have the same cutscenes, and the AI might be messed up, but you could probably change the start zones for the player and the AI as well as battlegroups given as well as the number of points you start with to call things in... And how much each zone is worth as far as political points are concerned... I think I'll have to try this out later
Spoiler : :

captain biggles
Warrant Officer

Postby captain biggles » Mon 21 Apr 2014 01:23

What about maps?
im working on a mod for alb an part of it is renaming maps like Kalmar is now Portland and Stavenger is now "Sweet Home Alabama"
Britain doesn't need better SEAD - it has the Challenger 2 for that.
Spoiler : :
Special thanks to kiheerSEDMAN for the sigs.