Announcement (kind of) Vietnam war mod !

jonas165
Brigadier

Re: Announcement (kind of) Vietnam war mod !

Postby jonas165 » Fri 6 Feb 2015 13:07

Since RD was anounced to be set in an Asian theatre, it was obvious someone would do this mod one day :D Good luck, can't wait to play it.
Alpha release. Click signature for more

Darkmil
Brigadier

Postby Darkmil » Sat 7 Feb 2015 17:00

Let's talk about game mechanics !

• Tanks
AP and HE round will know be seperated :
You'll have X amount of HE and Y amount of AP.
The aim is to reduce tank gun efficiency against infantry. You'll have to manage your HE ammo.

Yet all MG's will be represented, even the coaxial ones. One reason why coaxial mg are useless in Wargame is because tank gun are a better anti-infantry weapon, that will still be the case but with much less ammo.

• Heavy Machine-Guns
The will all be buffed, no 0.5/0.75 HE any more, they will no have a proper stopping power.

• Asymetric gameplay
Red and Blue won't have the same scale of price.
For instance, USA will have 1) an infantry and 2) logistic costing more. This is to represent 1) the fact that American where not as motivated as NVA soldiers (for they were not defending their home, and also because NVA soldiers were very determined) and so the US governement can't afford to call more and more troops on the field. and 2) the fact that bringing supply in the Jungle was not easy at all for Americans, but for Vietnamese knowing the terrain well and having a much shorter supply lines than USA it will be easier to supply troops.
On the other hand transport helicopter, tanks, support vehicles, etc will be a lot cheaper for USA, for they have the industrial might to deliver those vehicles.

So to fight your opponent you'll have to rely on your strength and hit him where he's weak.
(Well I'll do it, if it's not allowing cheese tactics and if it's possible to balance)

MenDuck
Major

Postby MenDuck » Sat 7 Feb 2015 17:39

About the NVA unit list: Spetsnaz didn't use the AK-74 and RPK-74 in Vietnam, USSR started producing these in 1974, too late for the Spets in Vietnam. I suggest swapping AK-74 for AKMS and RPK-74 for standard RPK.

leopardgunner
Sergeant

Postby leopardgunner » Sat 7 Feb 2015 18:35

Darkmil wrote:
DoubleDown wrote:
Darkmil wrote:I'll make both changes then (I'll give the PPSh to the unit which have MAT-49)
Would SOG team be a better name for Delta ?

Yeah, SOG or MACV-SOG, depending your preferred level of alphabet soup :P

MACV-SOG sounds cool :)

and give them Sawed Off RPD 8-)

Darkmil
Brigadier

Postby Darkmil » Sat 28 Feb 2015 03:14

A little update about this thread.
The project is not dead at all but Competitive exams are coming so I have to take a lot more time to work.
Yet, I'd like to had something about how units will be organized in game...

You won't choose a specific vehicle/infantry squad, but you will choose to call vehicle from a certain unit.
For instance you'll be able to call an F-4J "VF-96" or Marines "1st Marine Division"
There will be differences in availability/veterancy depending on the unit your choosing, as well as in equipment/loadout.

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Sat 28 Feb 2015 03:39

Darkmil wrote:You won't choose a specific vehicle/infantry squad, but you will choose to call vehicle from a certain unit.
For instance you'll be able to call an F-4J "VF-96" or Marines "1st Marine Division"
There will be differences in availability/veterancy depending on the unit your choosing, as well as in equipment/loadout.

Yes, please!
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.0 RELEASED! Click -> Image

captain biggles
Warrant Officer

Postby captain biggles » Mon 2 Mar 2015 21:35

The W:AB Noob wrote:
Darkmil wrote:You won't choose a specific vehicle/infantry squad, but you will choose to call vehicle from a certain unit.

Yes, please!

So will i be able to rely on the veteran tankers of the 11th ACR?
Also, will ANZAC be getting it's centurions?
Britain doesn't need better SEAD - it has the Challenger 2 for that.
Spoiler : :
Special thanks to kiheerSEDMAN for the sigs.

Weeaboo
Private

Postby Weeaboo » Fri 3 Jun 2016 03:27

Whoops, looks like I'm late :P
Obligatory introduction, I'm a Vietnamese, student at a US university (but currently resupplying in Vietnam), and happens to play W:RD. I actually lurked this forum for quite a while, unsure if my commitment worth another account to remember :P

Apart from that, I'm really glad someone is making a mod that allow a realistic demonstration for my country, rather than the usual "democracy win, communists lose" approach. So, how may I help you?

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Fri 3 Jun 2016 03:35

Here is one category: viewtopic.php?f=187&t=50773&start=10#p778486

But other than skins, not much has been done in this mod.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.0 RELEASED! Click -> Image

Darkmil
Brigadier

Postby Darkmil » Fri 3 Jun 2016 07:22

I might get around and finally make. The problems are the frequent DLC that may come. So beside skins don't expect much for now.