Wargame: Ash and Shadows v2.21; Now with a Discord link

Spectre_nz
Warrant Officer

Re: Wargame: Ash and Shadows v2.12; Dead in the Water (Naval units)

Postby Spectre_nz » Sat 26 Aug 2017 00:06

Hi just a quick one the British Type 23 Frigate (Iron Duke Class) Is under Redfor not Blufor.

This is deliberate. The Norfolk, the Marlborough and the Grafton were sold to the Chilean navy, which is part of UANSUAR. Type 22's were sold to Brazil and Chilae as well. I've sort of just represented it all with type 23's.

Also, can we now start suggesting new units and potential configurations to be added into the mod?

You can suggest things, but keep in mind there is limited room for unit swaps.

Spectre_nz
Warrant Officer

Re: Wargame: Ash and Shadows v2.12; Dead in the Water (Naval units)

Postby Spectre_nz » Sat 26 Aug 2017 09:01

2.13 is going up.

A chunk of GUI updates: I've gone through the infantry, Air and support tabs fixing miss-matched unit icons. Hopefully I've gotten them all, but post away if you spot any that don't look right. I haven't been through the armor, vehicle or helo tabs yet, so there will still be miss-matches there.

I've also been re-costing a number of aircraft, altering availability and the like.
A couple of Cluster-bombers have also had their spread patterns altered.

4HP UH1's and Mi-4 transports have had their costs dropped to 10pts.

Mk-83 JDAMs were upgraded to Mk-84

Eurofighter Typhoon P1E added for Germany, armed with Mk-84 JDAMs

ZLC-2000 Added for China.
Several adjustments with transport availability for Chinese infantry.

Z-10K should now appear in deck selection.

Spectre_nz
Warrant Officer

Re: Wargame: Ash and Shadows v2.14; Dead in the Water (Includes Naval units)

Postby Spectre_nz » Mon 28 Aug 2017 12:45

v2.14 is up.
I've gone through and corrected a number of miss-matched unit icons in the armor and helo tabs. If anyone spots any more mis-matched icons, let me know.
Assorted re-costings and new unit cards here and there.
Updated weapon icons and renamed rifles for Norway
Rbs 90 for Denmark improved
Rbs 70mk2 for Norway improved

I'm gonna call it a beta from here and will be leaving larger gaps between updates for a while, collect balancing info where I can and switch the focus of my modding mainly towards balance adjustment.

I've also begun compiling an A&S players guide that details some of the underlying mechanics in the game and some of the rationale behind the mod.
If there's anything you guys can think of that would be good to add or any FAQ's people have to put in there, let me know.

I'm sure there are more things to point out but I don't want to overwhelm you now. Please Keep this up, its good work. Let me know when you feel confident enough to call it final, I will make an in-depth review of it.

What kind of review do you mean? Are you promoting the mod somewhere? Or just feedback on the build?

fox_the_apprentice
Sergeant Major

Postby fox_the_apprentice » Mon 28 Aug 2017 17:08

Spectre_nz wrote:[...]
I've gone through and corrected a number of miss-matched unit icons in the armor and helo tabs. If anyone spots any more mis-matched icons, let me know.
[...]
I'm gonna call it a beta from here and will be leaving larger gaps between updates for a while, collect balancing info where I can and switch the focus of my modding mainly towards balance adjustment.

I've also begun compiling an A&S players guide that details some of the underlying mechanics in the game and some of the rationale behind the mod.
If there's anything you guys can think of that would be good to add or any FAQ's people have to put in there, let me know.
[...]

Should we also report incorrect armory filters for units?

Feedback for the guide:
Should we keep feedback to this thread, or would you like to attach comments directly to the relevant part of the document (using the Google Drive comments/suggestion features)?

If possible, please include the amount of damage resistance that Heavy Infantry get - are they ignoring 10% of incoming damage, 90%, etc. The difference can be important when making decisions ;)
Make a comment that the damage table may be found below - took me a second to find it, and if I weren't reviewing the entire doc, I'd probably have missed it completely!

^^ same for cluster munitions vs infantry.

When commenting on the SPAAG [RAD] removal, might want to include that most AAA only used the radar for ranging, as "bullets aren't guided" (citation needed).

The stealth multiplier table is wrapped across multiple pages, which leads to some initial confusion as to whether you should continue the category on the same page 2nd column, or move on to the next page same column. Consider inserting a table to make things more clear?

^^Related, the "Poor" stealth column lists 1.0 for the multiplier, but is listed after the "Bad" column. Consider ordering the columns in order, so Poor is between Medium and Bad.

CIWS diagrams looks like it's going to be good, but is unfinished at the time of this review.

fox_the_apprentice
Sergeant Major

Postby fox_the_apprentice » Mon 28 Aug 2017 17:51

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but didn't the UK used to have an ATGM on the Challenger chassis back in v1?

EDIT: Challenger Brimstone - VEH tab
Last edited by fox_the_apprentice on Mon 28 Aug 2017 19:00, edited 1 time in total.

Xeno426
Carbon 13

Postby Xeno426 » Mon 28 Aug 2017 18:01

fox_the_apprentice wrote:When commenting on the SPAAG [RAD] removal, might want to include that most AAA only used the radar for ranging, as "bullets aren't guided" (citation needed).

A lot of more modern AAA systems use radar for firing solutions as well, since it provides target velocity.
CloakandDagger wrote:And you're one of the people with the shiny colored name. No wonder the game is in the state it's in.

fox_the_apprentice
Sergeant Major

Postby fox_the_apprentice » Mon 28 Aug 2017 18:32

Xeno426 wrote:
fox_the_apprentice wrote:When commenting on the SPAAG [RAD] removal, might want to include that most AAA only used the radar for ranging, as "bullets aren't guided" (citation needed).

A lot of more modern AAA systems use radar for firing solutions as well, since it provides target velocity.

Thanks, I stand corrected :)

-----

US M8 has an incorrect flag on the unit picture. Also, the gun has a stabilizer, but also has the [STAT] tag. Is this so it'll start aiming before stopping, but has to stop to fire?
Same for the French AMX-10 RCR.

UK Tornado GR.1 GP Mk.10, WAH-64 has wrong flag on unit picture.

EDIT: added armory questions

Spectre_nz
Warrant Officer

Postby Spectre_nz » Tue 29 Aug 2017 01:02

Should we also report incorrect armory filters for units?
Yep

Should we keep feedback to this thread, or would you like to attach comments directly to the relevant part of the document (using the Google Drive comments/suggestion features)?

Which-ever works. On the document will mean less clutter here.

Someone has already made the suggestion to 'delete whole document'. Heh.

The stealth multiplier table is wrapped across multiple pages, which leads to some initial confusion as to whether you should continue the category on the same page 2nd column, or move on to the next page same column. Consider inserting a table to make things more clear?

^^Related, the "Poor" stealth column lists 1.0 for the multiplier, but is listed after the "Bad" column. Consider ordering the columns in order, so Poor is between Medium and Bad.

I've parsed it out into chunks so it will hopefully be more obvious what goes with what.

At the bottom of poor is 'everything else', so I added it as the last item

Maybe I'm mis-remembering, but didn't the UK used to have an ATGM on the Challenger chassis back in v1?

Yeah, it existed, but it's not coming back. It was an imaginary vehicle to test how the UK would function with a heavily armored ATGM carrier. Overall, it's not needed in the A&S v2 line up.

US M8 has an incorrect flag on the unit picture. Also, the gun has a stabilizer, but also has the [STAT] tag. Is this so it'll start aiming before stopping, but has to stop to fire?
Same for the French AMX-10 RCR.

UK Tornado GR.1 GP Mk.10, WAH-64 has wrong flag on unit picture.

Flag fixes are easy.
The issue with the guns is probably that the HE gun has it's stabilizer off. I'll look into it.

revolverswitch
Corporal

Postby revolverswitch » Tue 29 Aug 2017 03:06

Are you promoting the mod somewhere?

Yes ;)

Bulajunior
Private First-Class

Postby Bulajunior » Tue 29 Aug 2017 15:02

Any chance to "beef up" the British Air power, that It could get both the Buccaneer and Canberra. They were retired in 1994 and 2006 respectively however, there is no doubt in a WW3 scenario both would of been kept in service longer. I know also that the Canberra was in the Photo Reconnaissance role however, again in a WW3 scenario most likely would of been brought back in a tactical bomber role.

Obviously nothing could be done about the models but It would be nice to see to give the UK more variety in Low level strike, and high altitude bomber (much like the US - F111, NK - B5).

Cheers in advance. I'm sure you'll get a few more messages like this from me.