Deck Tips Please

WotanGreen
Private

Re: Deck Tips Please

Postby WotanGreen » Wed 25 May 2016 20:40

Hi, i didnt read all the advices made above, because it is simply too much for me :lol: . To me even your inititally presented decks where fine and so are the last ones. So i wont give any advice on units, because they belong to your favourite playstyle.

I just have one advice: i would allways choose the higher veterancy on air-defence-systems (especially rocket-aa) and choppers, or lets say everything that uses rockets.

Else they dont work for me, because they simply never hit.

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Wed 25 May 2016 20:40

You could actually post replays and ask help for decks. After all decks are pointless if you don't deploy them (happens to me often with new decks :) ). (The usual replay posting site is down, though... but just use dropbox or whatnot)

steppewolf
Second-Lieutenant

Postby steppewolf » Wed 25 May 2016 21:28

Maybe this type of thread with decks tips should be stickied?

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Wed 25 May 2016 22:37

Should actually probably go to tips & tutorials forum which is heavy with similar threads.

Canute
Sergeant Major

Postby Canute » Wed 25 May 2016 22:40

I had to try myself now, just to see how close we'd get after all the back-and-forth.
This EC deck is a general deck for a short-mid length high points game. I've gone for quality over quantity, and disregarded some of the cheaper options which I would have gone for in a low-points setting.

* The most notable differences are that I've gone for an extra INF CV in lieu of a mortar card. My thinking here is that the deck as a whole is geared towards high points, therefore requiring more CVs. A mortar is nice, and the French have access to a particularly powerful 120mm version, but it was not to be this time.
* Additionally I've ditched the cheap recon helo in favor of cheap recon INF. Recon inf is required in urban areas, and I'd rather save my stealthy two-man teams for forests and hedgelines. As this is a general deck, I don't know whether urban recon is a must or not, but better safe than sorry. As the only combat oriented recon inf available to EC, I could have gone for Commandos Para, but they're usually not able to stand up to other infantry. Therefore I've picked the much cheaper BGS, going for stealth instead.
* I've also chosen an ATGM plane, rather than a cluster bomber. Cluster bombers are often fairly poor in Wargame, especially against heavier tanks, while a good ATGM plane can one-shot even superheavies. Clusters can panic the enemy, and thus act as a force multiplier, but I'd still rather have the ATGM. The choice between the Super Etendard and the F-4 isn't all that obvious, but I've gone with the two German missiles today, rather than the single French. The German is slightly more powerful in the attack, but less survivable. Another day I could have chosen differently.
* Finally I've gone for the KPz-70, rather than the Leo1A5. Another not-so-easy choice. The Leo has a much better gun, and is preferable on more open maps, while the KPz has an autocannon and slightly better armor which makes it a better all-rounder, and excellent in a shorter range ambush setting. To compensate I've gone for the Leo2A1 and two superheavies (yes, I do count the Leclerc as one =p), which should be enough for range and open landscape tank warfare.

Making a good all-round deck isn't easy. You're always forced to compromise. =)

20160525220438_1.jpg
20160525220438_1.jpg (437.75 KiB) Viewed 476 times

varis wrote:Should actually probably go to tips & tutorials forum which is heavy with similar threads.

Agreed. Moderators should feel free to move it.

PS. I'd love to hear your thoughts on your decks after having played with them a bit, Crowarior.

Crowarior
Corporal

Postby Crowarior » Wed 25 May 2016 23:28

Well, I only played with EC. After the battle I switched out cluster bomber for Peace Rhine and added IR Roland instead of Gepard A1.
My infantry did well, but enemy bombed the shit out of me with like 8 plane at once so I rage quite there... But I liked the idea of having one inf in helis for large maps and it helped me to get to my capture zones quickly.
I haven't played with other decks so I cant comment on those yet.

JohnDaBarr
Sergeant

Postby JohnDaBarr » Thu 9 Jun 2016 16:58

There is some great advice here and there isn't much to add but, would like to point out that having a number of variations on the same deck is extremely useful since it can be a very different game depending on the game mode and number of players.

i.e. 1v1 conquest games usually don't last more than 30-40 min and in such games there is really no need for a FOB. That is also the case in low point's games.

In small/short games high end arty usually isn't worth it, but mortars can be used to great effect if one can properly used them. Destruction is completely another beast to tackle since most games devolve into arty and counterarty fest.

My experience taught me that, in general deck, only groups that warrant 5 cards in them are INF, REC and sometimes SUPP. LOG and Planes are more than fine with 4 cards, and everything else can work fine with 3 cards or less. All this ofc depends on Nations/Coalitions and play style.
Don't fight a battle if you don't gain anything by winning.