Could anyone help a newbie out?

urogard
Colonel

Re: Could anyone help a newbie out?

Postby urogard » Thu 23 Feb 2017 10:34

Adarius wrote:As they are very easy to get onto the field I think they key with ATGM helicopters is to only deploy them when they are useful. So it is not about fielding a unit that is useful one time out of ten you use it, it is about bringing it out that one time out of ten when you know it would be useful to have it.

you are correct, buy it if you actually need it.
I was referring to the situation when people, especially beginners, do the rookie mistake of fielding high end atgm helos at start and not even killing a single valuable unit in most games, let alone killing multiple units. making their investment not just bad but actually hurting their own gameplay since they will have points missing for actually important stuff.

varis
Brigadier

Re: Could anyone help a newbie out?

Postby varis » Fri 24 Feb 2017 17:30

urogard wrote:you are correct, buy it if you actually need it.
I was referring to the situation when people, especially beginners, do the rookie mistake of fielding high end atgm helos at start and not even killing a single valuable unit in most games, let alone killing multiple units. making their investment not just bad but actually hurting their own gameplay since they will have points missing for actually important stuff.

Can't but fully agree with this statement. High-end helos don't really seem to thrive in the RD meta, mine are typically 40 to 90 points and often the rockets are more important than ATGM (remember they also stop infantry and work well against light vehicles). They act more as a force multiplier on prolonged high-attrition hotspots than hunter-killers along the flanks.

It seems to me that helis are more forgiving than planes, which often get shot down or crippled by well-developed AA networks. Helos are cheaper and you can micromanage them better, bringing them in precisely when they can create an impact and only using them in the moments when the enemy is not covered by AA. Reading the situation is key in WarGame, I grant it's very difficult in the beginning but it's a reason why I think new players should eventually experiment with helis as well, you evolve from a beginner to an expert as you learn to identify the current battlefield conditions and react appropriately.

I very rarely use ATGM helis in the opening. A part of this is because heli openings are no longer so popular. But also AA and recon helis are much more valuable in the opening moves, and like I said initial support can be provided by rockets.

In the end, heavy tanks are more central to my force than helos, and usually if I don't already have them, I'd rather field a heavy tank than a pair of the helos. However the real competitor of helos is not heavy tanks but planes, since they have a similar engagement envelope and can be brought in quickly when the situation calls it.
Sleksa wrote:Distance to target was measured with a laser instead of operator's instinct

[DLC] Finland -
The best way to deploy your USSR equipment in WarGame