Could anyone help a newbie out?

Rylawesome
Private

Could anyone help a newbie out?

Postby Rylawesome » Fri 13 Jan 2017 14:28

New to the game, I understand the basics like how to deploy units, how to move them and have them attack locations without having to see the enemy etc. and I know how to build decks, mainly just from copying other ones but still I get the basic principles of the game, what I fail to understand is the actual strategy of what counters what, how, and when to make pushes and what not. If anyone could help me out I'm open pretty much all day today. Anyways if anyone could help me out w/ have a skype call/steam voice chat or something I would really appreciate it. Just reply below if interested and we can talk from there.

-Rylawesome

Fodder
Master Sergeant

Re: Could anyone help a newbie out?

Postby Fodder » Fri 13 Jan 2017 17:45

Rylawesome wrote:Rylawesome

Ask away
I can try to answer your questions to the best of my abilities.
Last edited by Fodder on Wed 1 Feb 2017 20:37, edited 1 time in total.

Dundradal
Corporal

Postby Dundradal » Sat 14 Jan 2017 01:44

Start with Razzman's Beginner's guide that's a sticky thread in the main forum.

Adarius
Sergeant

Postby Adarius » Sun 29 Jan 2017 22:53

Personally I got overwhelmed by Razzmans guide. It is the ultimate guide to the topic but my limited brain could not really process all the information in it before getting helped by a less informative guide. After testing things on my own it became much easier to understand Razzmans guide and actually remember all the things mentioned in it.

My road to a greater understanding has therefore been:

Play vs AI --> Get help with a reasonable deck here on the forum and play with it -->Read this more basic guide --> Play some more with the deck I got --> Read Razzmans guide and enjoy it a lot more than on my first try.

Trael
Corporal

Postby Trael » Wed 1 Feb 2017 10:24

When playing against Ai remember that Ai is cheating scum in what comes to reinforcement points and so. :)

KampfKeksKrieger
Command Sergeant Major

Postby KampfKeksKrieger » Wed 1 Feb 2017 21:50

Rylawesome wrote:New to the game, I understand the basics like how to deploy units, how to move them and have them attack locations without having to see the enemy etc. and I know how to build decks, mainly just from copying other ones but still I get the basic principles of the game, what I fail to understand is the actual strategy of what counters what, how, and when to make pushes and what not. If anyone could help me out I'm open pretty much all day today. Anyways if anyone could help me out w/ have a skype call/steam voice chat or something I would really appreciate it. Just reply below if interested and we can talk from there.

-Rylawesome

Theese are exactly the questions, that I would like to answer myself for ME.
Spoiler : :
I have played a lot of games now, but it is incredible difficult to write it down, because it involves a lot of influences that are difficult to explain all at once, and everything gets spreaded over many pages, so you make chapters, and finally loose yourself in explaining.

The next thing is, that on the forum are different opinions in a way, that it is not without danger to show what is the 'best', because many Ideas get attacked (or 'doomed'), instead of supported, so you have no fun spreading new Ideas.

Furthermore, the game developes, which means, that the texts become invalid so you need to continually work on them to keep them correct.
And then its just a ton of work, that exceeds the amounts I (maybe most players) can provide for free, I started with some contents on a guide for wargame, but I am still at collecting content for a half year already and I cannot deliver bullet-proof sentences, that you can follow without being missleaded in a unfair way (and then I get doomed whatever I suggest :( ).

Thats why I say, Wargame is a 'sandbox game' in which the players have all the same chance of knowing 'nothing', and the knowledge that you unlock for yourself is the rewards of playing this game.
Later games, after Wargame, or maybe at a later time of this wargame, the people get more long-term experience and can write down a solid foot for this game.

I am with a hobby-amount of motivation on the way to pick knowledge from my games or from content I read to my hard drive and I do this to get more solid strategies, because I always play random, but I dont have a 'plan' in how to attack a place for example.
And I write it down to get a stable picture that does not change, if I execute it.

So, to be short: There is no easy answer on wargame, this is a pioneer game, and everybody is a pioneer to test things out until the player level from the people becomes guide-proof.
Even though its 3 Years old now, I have the feeling, that for wargame, this is a young age, and it is capable to carry 10 or more years, and developes on, because the topic is so huge.
And even though we have very good players, I assume they could give some hints, but they are not guide-proof in a sophisticated way (not that I would not wish for those kind of players).

But from time to time, maybe somebody feels free to write more guides for wargame :lol:

urogard
Colonel

Postby urogard » Sat 18 Feb 2017 12:14

Rylawesome wrote:-Rylawesome

Basically the game boils down to 2 activities (attacking and defending) in 4 types of terrain (cities, forests, wide open and mix of all)

No matter if you're attacking or defending, you need to make sure:
- enough AA to handle incoming plane trains
- have some AA to deal with helos
- not have all units blobbed together to have your assault/defense force disabled/panicked by one well placed mlrs/arty barrage/bomber
- make sure you have a plan to deal with anything that you'll meet in the next engagement (if your assault hinges on not meeting a superheavy, then your plan was shit)
- If you're not under heavy attack, then you should be planning your next offensive to capture the nearest sector (even light attack is not excuse from not planning an attack)

For cities:
- you needs loads of infantry to win the city eventually
- Artillery can panick or hurt, but can not clear cities
- do not use napalm mlrs to disloge infantry, it doesn't work. You can at most use it to shoot it behind the city to cut them off from reinforcements
- if you need to cross an open field before entering the city, you need fire support from vehicles so that your inf doesn't get shredded in the open
- you need ATGM's or vehicles of your own to destroy enemy fire support vehicles, otherwise you can't prevent the enemy from bringing in more infantry into the city

For forests:
- you need infantry with good RPGs to deal with vehicles, even 5 pts transports can become a problem if your inf can't kill them fast enough
- any tank with less than 20 front armor is at high risk of getting easily killed by infantry
- superheavy tanks are perfectly capable of killing a lot more than their worth when microed correctly and kept repaired
- it's nowhere near easy to kill superheavies in forests with infantry alone, bring your own tanks

For open fields:
- One single tank is as strong as 2 weaker tanks if those weaker tanks have even just 1 AP and 1 Front Armor less
- Any single tank can get taken out by one high-end ATGM plane if you get unlucky
- if you don't have long range AA, you won't be able to protect your superheavies
- If you don't have recon, you won't see what's shooting at you from inside bushes or edges of forests
- either keep your stuff hidden or keep it moving otherwise artillery will fall on it

What about planes?
Don't use them in the beginning at all, unless absolutely necessary.
As a rule, your bombers will not kill more than they are worth.
Instead of getting ASFs to protect your airspace you can get AA which does the job more efficiently and for less money.

What about helos?
You can use them if you're either you're doing a helo opening to capture a city, or you're doing a helo spam to end the game.
Otherwise you'll never need them. Occasionally you'll see someone stupid enough attacking with tanks without AA cover, so you can try to exploit that, but what's more likely is that you just haven't spotted the AA yet. So getting an ATGM helo would be a waste of money at best or giving the enemy free points at worst.

How to get better:
Pick a general deck (USA or USSR from razzman's thread is all you need for now)
Join a 10v10 game with decent starting funds and income (I'd avoid the actual 10v10 maps like asgard, pick 1v1/4v4 hosted maps with 6-10k starting funds and high income)
Pick one lane to go and get more kills than losses with ground units
Ignore what the rest of your team is doing, it's none of your business and you're not good enough to help out at other places
Ignore whether your team won or lost, you need to improve your own gameplay, since you only make up 10% of the team, chances are, you were not the sole reason for whatever happened in the game.
Watch the replay and see what you did wrong and what your opponent did better.
If you lose units to planes, it means you don't have enough AA or leave your units uncovered for too long
If you lose units to arty, it means you're leaving your units in places where the enemy guesses your position correctly or are moving in predictable ways
If you lose units in a ground battle then you either had the wrong units vs what the enemy sent or were maneuvering them wrong

varis
Brigadier

Postby varis » Sat 18 Feb 2017 13:49

urogard wrote:What about helos?
You can use them if you're either you're doing a helo opening to capture a city, or you're doing a helo spam to end the game.
Otherwise you'll never need them. Occasionally you'll see someone stupid enough attacking with tanks without AA cover, so you can try to exploit that, but what's more likely is that you just haven't spotted the AA yet. So getting an ATGM helo would be a waste of money at best or giving the enemy free points at worst.

That's interesting and may be much dependent on the level of players. Sometimes I see helos used effectively - could just be when the enemy AA has been eliminated or the tanks have strayed too far. But both rocket and ATGM helos can change the course of the engagement and it might be a good idea to keep one or two spare, using them conservatively, just as a fast reaction force and/or to keep the enemy on their toes. A mid-tier helo can eliminate much more than its point worth of opponents if they are not covered by AA.

That said you should of course always have an answer for planes and helis, both can be devastating if you don't know what you are doing. Also learn to micro your radar AA, if your radars are always on the experienced players will just pick them off with their SEAD planes.

urogard
Colonel

Postby urogard » Mon 20 Feb 2017 06:09

varis wrote:That's interesting and may be much dependent on the level of players. Sometimes I see helos used effectively

he's not looking for advice on the infinite situations that can arise, but what to do overall in every game.

As a rule, for an average player, for every 10 atgm helos one gets over the course of many games, they won't make enough damage to be worth the investment, a heavy tank is almost always the better choice. hell, even in high level play I've never seen helos bringing in lots of kills consistently, even there's it's a hit or miss.

if once out of 10 times you manage to kill 3 superhavies but unusually barely kill one medium tank, then that's not worth the investment, because you would have killed a lot more with the same value invested into infantry, tanks or aa.

a strategy is good not if you get more kills than losses, but only if there's no better alternative to be taken.

Adarius
Sergeant

Postby Adarius » Wed 22 Feb 2017 22:30

urogard wrote:
varis wrote:That's interesting and may be much dependent on the level of players. Sometimes I see helos used effectively

he's not looking for advice on the infinite situations that can arise, but what to do overall in every game.

As a rule, for an average player, for every 10 atgm helos one gets over the course of many games, they won't make enough damage to be worth the investment, a heavy tank is almost always the better choice. hell, even in high level play I've never seen helos bringing in lots of kills consistently, even there's it's a hit or miss.

if once out of 10 times you manage to kill 3 superhavies but unusually barely kill one medium tank, then that's not worth the investment, because you would have killed a lot more with the same value invested into infantry, tanks or aa.

a strategy is good not if you get more kills than losses, but only if there's no better alternative to be taken.

ATGM helicopters are situational but I find them useful in the sense that in every third or fourth game they turn out to be a bit of a life saver. I never bring them out immediately but they are useful to deal with enemy flank recon units, to defend against surprise attacks in weak spots, deal with enemy stragglers or force the enemy to put more thought into protecting the flanks of his tank force.

As they are very easy to get onto the field I think they key with ATGM helicopters is to only deploy them when they are useful. So it is not about fielding a unit that is useful one time out of ten you use it, it is about bringing it out that one time out of ten when you know it would be useful to have it.