Little Community Contest - New maps

FLX
Major-General

Re: Little Community Contest - New maps

Postby FLX » Mon 2 Mar 2015 01:23

So here we go, by alphabetic order of the submitter :

another505, 38th Parallel rotated 90° :
The rotation is a good idea, in the original version both sides have a good opportunity to cross the river at the beginning of the game but if both teams fail to take a foothold on the other bank the game is rapidly blocked.
Your zone placement in the middle is interesting and create a frontline but I think you don't push the concept far enough. The zones in the back are not very useful, why not removing them and split the frontline in 4 or 5 pairs of sectors instead of 3 ?
Good proposition.

ch3cooh, Korea Rocks and Floods "small version" :
I think we can make some very cool 1v1/2v2 maps with these maps (among others) yet I think that would require a bit more work than just removing some zones while leaving the others, especially if we aim to include them in the ranked map pool.

Cruswald, Korea Rocks rotated 90° :
This map is indeed well suited for an alternative 4v4 version yet I think that focusing the fight on 3 cities like you did by placing all the contested sectors right on them is not the best option.
This map has two interesting particularities : the rivers can be crossed easily thanks to the trees that edge them and the mountains made of multiple plateaus that allow fast and concealed manoeuvres.
Here is a rapid analysis of what I would do with this map :
http://i.imgur.com/fnyKndo.jpg
In green are the areas of interest, the expected frontline in white and the starting locations of the players.

KittyKitsune, 38th Parallel rotated 90° :
Ahah Three Miles Island again ;)
Avoiding the cities with your sectors will lead to a more mobile warfare, but avoiding the central city is the hardest part here.
Here is a quick analysis I made :
http://i.imgur.com/c4G5GwR.jpg
In pink the urban areas you try to avoid, which creates 4 green zones of interest where your sectors will be included.
If you wish to maintain a central sector that lies across the river I think you must make it much bigger in order to minimize the local advantages.

LulzReich, Korea Rocks variation :
Bad news, we cannot limit a naval spawn to small ships only :|
But we could keep the concept and place the only aerial spawn of the map here instead.
The other sectors are well balanced and placed except for the blue spawn that should be moved toward the left.

LulzReich, 38th Parallel variation :
Small urban zones is clearly not the general consensus but the concept is interesting.
It would work well with destruction where you can choose between a big safe zone in the back that isn't worth a lot of points and a small zone close to the frontline that is worth much more.
In conquest however I don't think it would work very well, but nothing prevents conquest and destruction design to be totally different.
Delaying the arrival of planes prevents the napalm on bridges at the beginning of the game, but I'm totally dubious of your sectors placement in terms of access speed. That small sector next to the blue spawn could be moved to the other buildings to the right leaving the island as the most contested and dangerous area.
Interesting concept, that needs some adjustments.

LulzReich, Chosin Reservoir variation :
Triangle shape design, this map makes it difficult though. It's hard to have both good road and helicopter distances set right.
I had something like that in mind for Plungjing valley :
http://i.imgur.com/lfS1nGQ.jpg
The super small sectors all regrouped in the middle island makes it a high risk/high reward which once again goes against the general consensus that the bigger the better (concerning sectors). I would like to hear what you have to say about that.

LulzReich, Gunboat diplomacy variation :
Capturing sectors on the right to bring ship on the left, cool idea but the arrows will cross all the battlefield to reach the sea which makes things not very comprehensible. The graphical aspect of the game is also a limitation to the gamplay sometimes :|
Starting right in front of the enemy is dangerous but the presence of the river and the absence of planes reduce that risk so why not.
Putting the naval points on the islands only makes landing troops interesting.
Another interesting concept.

molnibalage, 38th Parallel rotated 90° :
Always the same problem of the middle city, your contested sectors in the middle clearly favour the south side.
The side spawn give interest to the rear sectors that would be useless otherwise so good point here.

nomeanseyes, Bloody Ridge v1 : (v2 has wrong link)
Central symmetric design on an axial symetric map... I doubt you'll find easiely a way to balance the 2 middle sectors when one of them has a single city and the other has 2 small cities.

nomeanseyes, Tough Jungle rotated 90° :
Yes there is plenty of room in this map to make an alternative version, the two central industrial complexes make a good center to make various central symmetric designs.

Solo, Back to Inchon 1v1 :
The 3 sectors between the spawns are interesting but I have my doubts concerning the two sectors on the left, the one with the city will certainly be easier to defend.
I have made a test similar to what RangerPL proposes on the other topic ( http://i.imgur.com/amIaQDe.jpg )and it works surprisingly well so I would certainly go for an alternate 3v3 version rotated 90° for this map.

Solo, Floods 1v1 :
Not much to say, simple and efficient. The main fight will be for the city but there should be enough place to manoeuvre on the sides.

Solo, Gunboat Diplomacy 1v1 :
This one I'm not convinced at all. To me the red side will be favoured because of it's easier access to the left side of the river.

The W:AB Noob, Gunboat Diplomacy see invasion alternative :
Of course we want it ! :)
But the main problem is that you cannot choose on which side of the map you will play. Which is a shame since you would certainly not use the same deck for attack and defense.
That kind of design would have required a brand new mod in my opinion.

TheGreenSpeed, Center of Asgard :
The map is symetrical, there is plenty of possibilities to make alternative designs.
Since we can make 1v1 maps out of the 3v3/4v4 maps I think it would be better to make more 4v4 out of the 10v10 maps.
The side spawn are welcome here to bring the fight a bit out of the city but I still fear a big infantry brawl that makes Wonsan a very unpopular map.

TheGreenSpeed, Side of Asgard :
This one is more challenging, good choice of location, the roads along the plateaus allow fast and potentially undetected movements that can surprise the enemy. However the blue side seem favoured by the amount of buildings present on this side but also by the access to the bottom left sector.
Interesting and worth a try.

TheTimBot, Strait to the Point small version :
Triangle shape design, I like that, rectangles are boring :mrgreen:
My only concern in your design is the +1 in the middle, the red side has much easier access to it than the blue side especially if ships come into play and block the bridge allowing the blue player to cross the pass.

Tiera, Tough Jungle small version :
Sorry but could you use a none mirrored image and take a screen that doesn't cut your zones while showing one third of black next time ?
The position of your your arrow at the top of the screen is not a gameplay road, there is a margin at the side of the maps that prevents from playing in this area. I don't see what you tried to do here especially with the spawn in the mountain, maybe a better angle of view would have helped.

Okay I'm done with everyone I think, I've saved your proposition with my own so that if I receive the green light to make alternative maps I can make a lot of them in a short amount of time.

As for choosing a winner, it's never an easy choice but my preference goes to LulzReich for the originality of the concepts he proposed even if his map have low chance to see the light in our game because they would require more time to be balanced than more classical concepts.
Be nice or I nerf your favorite unit !

Countess Bathory
Colonel

Postby Countess Bathory » Mon 2 Mar 2015 01:43

^Really cool that you take the time to do this.

All hail FLX, the glorious one!
Accept Roki Vulovic as your Lord and Saviour today and beware of the false prophet, Jesus Christ

[DAY]Topspin2005
General

Postby [DAY]Topspin2005 » Mon 2 Mar 2015 09:07

And the WINNER is: LulzReich !!!
Congratulations ! So you will get a free gamekey for a released Focus Home Interactive game!
Send me a PM and tell me which gamekey you want ;)

Many thx to FLX for this great work! Enjoyed to read it 8-)
Also many thx to Epy and Focus Home Interactive for the support.

And i would like to thx my girlfriend, kids ... :roll: :oops: ... oh damn - it's not the Oscar :mrgreen:

Lonfield
Second-Lieutenant

Postby Lonfield » Mon 2 Mar 2015 11:46

Hello!

I'll have to accept, and concede that FLX made a really good job. I'd like to say that Three Mile Island Map (i don't know if it's correctly spelled) should be in the roster, maybe only for us, the criers.

I'll say that in @Solo back to inchorn i've just seen an old map from WALB, Ostersund, i think. I'd just suggest a little change on this map, and it's avoiding, at the white sector at the bottom of the map all kinds of cities, letting some sectors without cities maybe can bring back the game the old feeling of manouvers and total control of the sectors. I mean, now, you can entrench your inf cv in a city, protect it and you don't really need total control of the sector to keep your cv safe.

I don't think my opinion counts that much but i like your idea about Plungjing valley.

And finally, i'll say that, even with this contest and the new ideas it brings to us, you should try, at least, to remake one map of each (1v1, 2v2, etc. ) from the old times (WEE and WALB), that would be a really good bye present (you move now to AoA) and we'd love it {No balance job required, just copy the maps (i know they have to be remaked)} .

Hell's HIghway really needs to be part of all Wargames, (it's like a Karkand of Battlefields, and Icon of Wargame.)

P.D.: Are any of theese maps going to be included in the ranked roster?, as i've jsut said, that roster is really poor, it has, 4 maps?
Bans Bans Bans and Lock Lock Lock!!
Screaming for a better game since 2012

Cruswald
Corporal

Postby Cruswald » Tue 3 Mar 2015 11:24

Hi thanks for the feedback, FLX and thank you to Topspin for organizing this little contest. That was a nice creative exercise.

Cruswald, Korea Rocks rotated 90° :
This map is indeed well suited for an alternative 4v4 version yet I think that focusing the fight on 3 cities like you did by placing all the contested sectors right on them is not the best option.
This map has two interesting particularities : the rivers can be crossed easily thanks to the trees that edge them and the mountains made of multiple plateaus that allow fast and concealed manoeuvres.
Here is a rapid analysis of what I would do with this map :
http://i.imgur.com/fnyKndo.jpg
In green are the areas of interest, the expected frontline in white and the starting locations of the players.

Indeed, i put maybe too much emphasis on cities. Maybe I should have split the northern sectors to accomodate the hills. I like you variation on this map but don't you think that it comes back too much to the actual layout regarding contested area ? (notably, east and center sectors are already the places where we fight actually)

Anyway, thanks for the inputs, I hope, as everyone, that you will be cleared at some points to create these alternative maps. I especially look forward to 3v3 and 4v4 ones. Variations on this Korea rocks, 38th parallel or tough jungle are looking promising. And I liked your new Plunjing Valley layout.

[DAY]Topspin2005
General

Postby [DAY]Topspin2005 » Tue 3 Mar 2015 19:27

Cruswald wrote:Hi thanks for the feedback, FLX and thank you to Topspin for organizing this little contest. That was a nice creative exercise.

8-) that you enjoyed it^^

[DAY]Topspin2005
General

Postby [DAY]Topspin2005 » Wed 4 Mar 2015 22:46

Does anyone know the winner LulzReich or have him in the wargame friendlist?
He seems to be not a very active forumuser ... so please tell him that he has won a free focus gamekey ;)

FLX
Major-General

Postby FLX » Mon 16 Mar 2015 18:31

Damn, you really like to torture me !
Choosing a winner was not an easy thing and now I have to do it again :cry:

So my second choice would go to another505 for the shape of his zones in a frontline clearly split the map along the meeting line.
That makes a easily readable map for beginners and spread the fight on the largest area as possible.
That concept can work on many maps and I think it can create a very dynamic gameplay.

"Le Roi est mort, vive le Roi !", Another505 is our new winner !
Be nice or I nerf your favorite unit !

another505
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby another505 » Wed 18 Mar 2015 02:28

Yay! im the winner :D

For the key, i would like sherlock holmes: crimes and punishment

my steam name is the same
another505
Of Salt

[DAY]Topspin2005
General

Postby [DAY]Topspin2005 » Wed 18 Mar 2015 21:33

another505 wrote:Yay! im the winner :D