Act of Aggression 2 ideas

McNash
Lieutenant

Act of Aggression 2 ideas

Postby McNash » Thu 21 Jul 2016 05:01

Ok, first off, if you think Eugen Systems should not focus on making AoA2 feel free to post it somewhere else, this is not a thread to discuss the viability of Act of Aggression 2, but to propose ideas to bring a better game, I hope you, my dear reader, understand this.

And now to the matter, I have been thinking about what could be added to AoA2 and of course the first thing that came to my mind was special powers, this is a feature of C&C games which I loved a lot because it allowed for wider approaches and could turn the tide of a battle in the most unexpected moment, here is a list of special powers for each faction, I would like your feedback on the matter of balance for these ones:

NOTE: All powers are deployed from the HQ, they appear in a GUI side-menu, a unit is the length of a building grid square

USA

MQ-9 Reaper surveillance drone sweep
Pre-requisite: barracks
Cost: 500
Reload time: 300 seconds
Description: Deploys a 10 hp fast drone which reveals the 4-unit ratio area and stealth units through its travelling vector

Wolf-pack airdrop
Pre-requisite: DEFCON 2
Cost: 5000
Reload time: 240 seconds
Description: Calls a Boeing C-17 Globemaster III which deploys 2 thunderbolts and 2 blazers anywhere in the map

Defense Doctrine
Cost: 3500
Description: halves the incoming damage of all vehicles and buildings targeted in a 3-unit ratio area for 10 seconds

A-10C Patrol
Description: calls a 60hp A-10C Warthog armed with an unlimited ammo 1 AP damage gattling gun and 6 25 AP AGM-65 Maverick missiles, it stays on the map for 30 seconds

Lion-pride airdrop
Pre-requisite: DEFCON 1
Cost: 9000
Description: Calls a Boeing C-17 Globemaster III which deploys 3 TUSK-2 Abrams anywhere in the map

Delta extraction force
Cost: 2500
Description: Calls from the closest side of the map a little bird loaded with 4 deltas

M109A7 Artillery attack
Cost: 4000
Reload time: 360 seconds
Description: Calls 3 20 HE damage, 3-unit ratio artillery barrage from out of the map, can’t be targeted by counter-tactical weapons

Chimera

Deployable bunker
Pre-requisite: Spear Bay
Cost: 1500
Description: summons a non-selectable Valor which deploys a 2x2-unit 4-slot non-breachable 20hp bunker anywhere selected on the map, if the enemy builds in the selected area the bunker is not deployed

Nano-repairing
Pre-requisite: Shield Protocol
Cost: 2000
Description: Restores 20 hp of allied vehicles over 20 seconds in a 4-unit ratio targeted area

Electronic Pulse sweep
Pre-requisite: Sword Protocol
Cost: 3000
Description: all the units on the map appear for 3 seconds, enemy structures stay marked in the minimap after revealed

ASPN Targeting Support
Pre-requisite: Sword Protocol
Description: all friendly units targeted in a-3 unit ratio attack 25 per cent faster for 10 seconds

Exo-assault
Pre-requisite: Sword Protocol, Shield Protocol
Description: Deploys through orbital drop-pods 4 exo-soldiers anywhere in the map

Nano-shielding
Cost: 10000
Reload time: 500 seconds
Description: renders invulnerable all friendly and enemy mechanical units and buildings in a 3-units ratio area for 12 seconds

Kh-55 wing
Description: deploys 5 Kh-55 missiles out of the map, Valkyrie speed, each one upon impact unleashes 15 AP 15 HE damage over a 2-unit ratio area

Cartel

Bounty List
Pre-requisite: Prison module
Description: Enemy units and structures marked by this 4-unit ratio power give 25 percent of their value back when killed during the next 25 seconds

Non-regulated industrial output
Descriptions: doubles the production speed for 20 seconds

BLU-114/B Graphite Bomb
Pre-requisite: Black Ops
Description: Calls a 50hp Valkyrie which deploys a 5-unit ratio bomb that disables all type of structures (even those which don’t require energy) for 10 seconds

X-47B Wing
Pre-requisite: Air control center
Description: Calls 3 X-47B drones akin to Avenger drones, can only target vehicles and structures

M-87A1 Mine deployment
Pre-requisite: Air control center
Cost: 3000
Description: Calls 1 X-32 which deploy 25 4AP mines across a 4-unit area

Arteries of Assault
Pre-requisite: Stealth lab
Cost: 4000
Description: Deploys 2 2-unit ratio, 10hp entries to a network tunnel in any point of the map which allows building deployment, line of sight required

Subvert
Pre-requisite: Prototypes bay
Description: after staying 2 seconds all units targeted in a 2-unit ratio area switch side to the caster player it requires being revealed to be affected

chykka
Brigadier

Re: Act of Aggression 2 ideas

Postby chykka » Thu 21 Jul 2016 18:08

Making Multi Resource and Single Resource economies in the same game version would be cool too. Just a separate game mode

Click and Drop abilities should have some delay, only thing in AoA is the Heals and S.W currently. More variety like your suggestions could really spice it up. But also could make frustrating elements for players that do not take much effort besides having the Pre Reqs and click and drop.

McNash
Lieutenant

Postby McNash » Sat 23 Jul 2016 08:54

chykka wrote:Making Multi Resource and Single Resource economies in the same game version would be cool too. Just a separate game mode

Click and Drop abilities should have some delay, only thing in AoA is the Heals and S.W currently. More variety like your suggestions could really spice it up. But also could make frustrating elements for players that do not take much effort besides having the Pre Reqs and click and drop.

Well, it still costs some cash to get those running, of course these are open to balance, I think also subfactions may be cool, I mean, we have more than 20 years of RTS tradition to get inspiration from, AoA may not have been such a hit but comparatively speaking it has sold more than most of the other new RTS franchises barring Grey Goo, and that mostly because Petroglyph has been making more promotions and releasing more content while Eugen System has been focusing more and more in the Wargame franchise over again, in fact, AoA still has more active players than the other competitors in its tier.

chykka
Brigadier

Postby chykka » Wed 27 Jul 2016 17:24

Sub factions would be good, can put unused units out and will flush out the game.
I could see Cartel having stealth focused Specialized sub faction.

The cost for Call ins could increase the more you use them as a way to limit them to an extent, and maybe buildings that can deny call in's within a radius.

McNash
Lieutenant

Postby McNash » Sun 31 Jul 2016 09:32

Well, I don't know about balance, to be honest with you, I was trying to give suggestions which were strongly based in C&C games, things like those seen in Zero Hour and Kane's Wrath, games which I consider, at least in term of re-playability and overall content the highest peaks in the whole C&C franchise.

One thing that I noticed is that nowadays you can't really get new RTS fans, it's a no go, in my experience anyone with a hint of some interest for strategy will just end getting caught by MOBAs, and considering most of those games are F2P, that make competition virtually impossible

It is rather sad, but a truth we have come to learn with the years, so, ultimately, on that sense it's understandable Eugen Systems made a RTS game which catered to an already established audience, calling the old fans of C&C Generals and Act of War, on that sense Wargame was an interesting precedent, as it has appealed to a very large base of armed forces veterans who found totally compelling the idea of seeing the Cold War going hot at a tactical level, some have even commented they discovered the game through word of mouth, which shows how motivated is the fanbase of that game.

However...

They made some critical mistakes in the route, first off the economic system, "this Age of Empires" resource based system added a layer of complexity to the game which wasn't really needed, and while some people get used to it, many felt like it wasn't really necessary given the spiritual ancestors of the game, then, there was the fact the game GUI being counter-intuitive and lacking a great deal of features which many older games have had from release. Simple things like a hold-fire button (and sadly this one is still bugged), a reverse movement option, a button to manually choose roadways, these are things which should have been present.

Then there was the matter of the campaign, this one was rather complicated, Eugen didn't have the backup of Atari or EA to bring some popular actors to bolster the marketing support for this game, neither the audiovisual production, I dare to praise their valiant attempt to do a C&C like campaign with the available resources, on the other hand, I think it would have made more sense to try to look for an alternative, this one was extremely difficult, but I saw hints of good ideas in the Cartel campaign, while I cannot say that the Cartel campaign was totally great (it was quite lackluster that they couldn't even make Cartel units red instead of blue) it has a presentation and vibe which was, in my opinion, far better than that of Chimera's campaign, in a way, it was like the Scrin campaign of C&C3, no famous actors but a lot of immersion with the idea of being part of a conspiracy sell, easily justifying the lack of eye-to-eye communication.

Still, I see Act of Aggression, particularly the Reboot edition, as a decent base to add new elements which may bring the nostalgia feeling back, ideas such as the Generals powers which you could unlock through fighting or by teching up were fantastic, or subfactions, may yet be explored, I really hope Eugen System dears to re-visit this game and add some new content for this series.

chykka
Brigadier

Postby chykka » Sun 31 Jul 2016 15:06

Spoiler : :
Zero Hour was fantastic for a few reasons, somethings AoA does not have. 12 playable factions (3 are the base with 9 extra unique Specializations 3 for each faction.) This added much more replayability and dynamics too the multiplayer. Also the Single player Challenge mode made it so you pick a faction and face off against 9 scripted challengers in different order depending who you picked. Even though it was repetitive, there was incentive to play it again as a different general and from a game play perspective it kept things fresh.

Now I can see why you don't think AoA needs 3 resources like Age of Empires. However you can deny them Rare earth or Aluminum in release version but in Reboot if they have some POW and economy buildings they can make themselves more self sufficient with less need too pressure further outside the base if they are not ready or you feel fine defending less positions rather than more. In C&C you have big supply dock usually too pick up. Than there is oil which gives you a quick cash upon first capture, and steady flow as long as you control it. So Oil like banks in AoA can be destroyed however there could also be captureable neutral building like C@C had defensive strutures along with, Repair bays, and buildings that reduce cost of infantry like the refinery too reduce cost of building vehicles. There is a bit less strategy in some ways in Reboot by removing the resources on map and turning them into two or 3 really big deposits that are always in same spots. In C&C they would scatter smaller resouce piles around the map in specific locations but they did not last as long as the big depots making for more reason too build around the map. But some of the changes it brought were very good changes I would of liked too see make it into release as well like the plane changes. Some units just disappeared from reboot which is sad if they go unused because it's really a few that could maybe go toward Sub Factions.

Simple things like a hold-fire button (and sadly this one is still bugged), a reverse movement option, a button to manually choose roadways, these are things which should have been present.

The need for them wasn't maybe enough for them too clutter the UI more, but as just hotkeys wouldn't effect units all that much as automaticly movement works fine and armour I do not think matters what face and angle is getting shot at. But like the Move fast for Road movement would give more control to the player which is not a bad thing. especially if you want to stay off road.
Last edited by chykka on Fri 14 Oct 2016 07:03, edited 1 time in total.

McNash
Lieutenant

Postby McNash » Tue 2 Aug 2016 07:54

The matter with the map creator is one which has intrigued me for many years, as far as I understand is due some copyright restrictions that they can't make a new one, I guess large companies such as EA could easily afford to buy the rights to allow for map editors, but given the size and resources of Eugen I understand why is that they haven't released this software, it was a bit like what happened with Dawn of War 2, ultimately it was the fans themselves the ones who built the Mod SDK, sadly it seems like AoA hasn't managed the critical mass to allow the fanbase to have enough human capital to build such things.

GraphZaal
Private First-Class

Postby GraphZaal » Wed 12 Oct 2016 11:51

First of all: why speak of Act of Aggression 2? Act of Aggression is actually Act of War 2...it's pretty ridiculous to think of an Act of Aggression 2 this way. :idea:
Anyways: bring back ships like in AoW:HT!

Harout
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Harout » Fri 14 Oct 2016 23:53

GraphZaal wrote:First of all: why speak of Act of Aggression 2? Act of Aggression is actually Act of War 2...it's pretty ridiculous to think of an Act of Aggression 2 this way. :idea:

Wargame community will happily donate our ships to you. Please adopt them and take them away.

McNash
Lieutenant

Postby McNash » Mon 17 Oct 2016 09:00

Harout wrote:
GraphZaal wrote:First of all: why speak of Act of Aggression 2? Act of Aggression is actually Act of War 2...it's pretty ridiculous to think of an Act of Aggression 2 this way. :idea:

Wargame community will happily donate our ships to you. Please adopt them and take them away.

They are amusing if you use them against the AI.

By the way, I think Eugen never managed to understand the fact they were targeting to C&C players, not Act of War's, and of course not the armchair generals and real-life veterans of Wargame, plain simple, and to be more specific the people who bought the Red Alert 2/Generals/C&C3 age of huge armies and fast economy, I re-installed Kane's Wrath the other day and was impressed with the amount of resources and units I can get into the meatgrinder, it was truly great to see a game which didn't try to limit you with a poor economy in the name of "gameplay".