Utilising Plane AI properly

IminentFailure
Private

Utilising Plane AI properly

Postby IminentFailure » Mon 14 Sep 2015 21:52

Hello

I'm a big Fan of massive air armies and the resulting dogfight battles, but somehow I not able to use my ground attack craft properly.
The US Faction Planes spam an unbelievable amount of ordinance at Targets that are second rate at best (any refinery they meet on the way to the objective) or worse completely overkill the target (5 missiles for a Jeep?).The Chimera Drones are so sluggish that even a great number did not manage to drop a single(!) Bomb due to the infantrie outrunning them o0.
How are you managing your Airforce? I have not played matchmaking yet but due to that I fear that my Air strats are gonna be completely useless especially in a 1v1.

Have you come across a solution?

Spector
First Sergeant

Re: Utilising Plane AI properly

Postby Spector » Tue 15 Sep 2015 22:40

Once I got attacked by US jets 5 minutes into the game, as chimera I didn't have any AA units, just 2 turrets. Lost all my resource collectors after the third plane passed. And I was hoping to catch Cartels scouts with those turrets :)

As for Chimeras jets the air superiority one, Pak FA, takes forever to shoot at enemy helicopters and gets shot down it self. I think the problem is if it is spotting for itself by the time it discovers a target it has already flown past the point where it can shoot it's weapons.

The nEUROn bomber is really good. I have been using them more and more often. Grate building dmg for the cost. People tend to surrender when you take out their HQ and 2 passes from 4-6 nEUROn's will do the trick. They do have an unfortunate habit to miss the targets with 20-30% of their bombs. Maybe it's just how it looks? Not sure.
"All your bases are belong to us", Zero Wing, 1991.

admiralzeech
Sergeant Major

Postby admiralzeech » Wed 16 Sep 2015 09:58

You just have to be aware that anti-ground jets will fire their missiles at the first thing they see, when they're flying.
So they're not useful for deep attacks into enemy territory. Or even pin-point attacks on an enemy base.

Bombers will at least drop their bombs where you target them.

PapaKarlo
Private First-Class

Postby PapaKarlo » Wed 16 Sep 2015 10:00

I think biggest tip for using ground attack planes is to send them in slightly different directions. When they fly one after the other they all shoot at one target until it's dead (which is 1-2 missiles and others'll go to waste). Last Chimera mission for me was in sending US planes in big arc to intercept all Koalitsiyas before they got to me.

Personally I got a problem with bombers of all types cuz they don't show the bomb pattern when you send them. With Cartel planes absurd reaches it's maximum, when one bomber drops all his bombs BEFORE the place you clicked at, and the other (Valkyrie) drops them AFTER that place. Also if you want your planes to fly around something and attack from non-standart angle it is possible with small aircrafts, but big bombers need so much time to turn, that you'll never know at what angle the plane will actually reach the target (or if it even will keep enough fuel for it).

Actually it would've been much better, if planes were controlled like airstrikes from World in Conflict - it'll show you the attack pattern, you'll get to choose the angle of approach and the plane will do the rest.

killer00100
Master Sergeant

Postby killer00100 » Wed 16 Sep 2015 11:10

PapaKarlo wrote:Actually it would've been much better, if planes were controlled like airstrikes from World in Conflict - it'll show you the attack pattern, you'll get to choose the angle of approach and the plane will do the rest.

Problem is that you can choose angle to fly from the edge on the enemy side and drop bomb within few seconds without time for receiving side to stop or shoot the plane down.

In World in Conflict:
- Planes are support power with delay of effect and unchangeable order without way to defend or stop (only move units out of AOE), so you can choose path of the plane.
- There is no base or static units deployment, so no way to know that where enemy is (or else all fire support will drop over that area).

For me, I prefer the planes to function like in C&C general (make them the units). You can order its path or not to shoot its missiles until reach target.

PapaKarlo
Private First-Class

Postby PapaKarlo » Wed 16 Sep 2015 13:31

killer00100 wrote:
PapaKarlo wrote:Actually it would've been much better, if planes were controlled like airstrikes from World in Conflict - it'll show you the attack pattern, you'll get to choose the angle of approach and the plane will do the rest.

Problem is that you can choose angle to fly from the edge on the enemy side and drop bomb within few seconds without time for receiving side to stop or shoot the plane down.

I didn't say "let us choose from which side the plane will appear". Static spawn place is okay, wonky maneuverability of bombers that cancels all player's effort to send them from slightly different angle - is not okay. It wouldn't hurt if planes could maneuver to the right angle of approach after spawning themselves.

fifaswift
Private

Postby fifaswift » Sat 19 Sep 2015 05:14

You just have to be aware that anti-ground jets will fire their missiles at the first thing they see, when they're flying.
So they're not useful for deep attacks into enemy territory. Or even pin-point attacks on an enemy base.
fifa coins | cheap fifa 16 coins