Map Creating Tools, Please release them!!

noodlesocks
Sergeant Major

Re: Map Creating Tools, Please release them!!

Postby noodlesocks » Sat 5 Sep 2015 23:15

chemdude8 wrote:Listened to the whole thing it's in the last like 4 minutes of the video and it's that they 'want' to release a map editor but they're not sure it's possible yet. Which I choose to be very suspicious of, of course they'll say they want to and they are investigating while the game is at release, but it seems like RUSE and the other games on this same engine heard a similar story... At 38:50 for the time.

Hmm yeah. Doesn't sound like it's a sure thing.

The W:AB Noob
Lieutenant General

Postby The W:AB Noob » Thu 10 Sep 2015 04:48

W:EE was supposed to have a modding tool...

If Eugen does release tools for AoA, I will greatly consider buying the game.
W:RD Sandbox Mod 5.0 RELEASED! Click -> Image

General Mig
Sergeant Major

Postby General Mig » Sat 12 Sep 2015 00:44

wait.... are they making a map editor or not?

marsch8c
Private

Postby marsch8c » Sun 20 Sep 2015 12:01

Hey there!
Creating custom maps ensures that the game doesn't get boring.
Playing the same maps over and over again has some advantage to win a game, but it get a little monotonous by the time.

When will be the release date approximately, if anyone knows?

Hob_Gadling
Captain

Postby Hob_Gadling » Sat 26 Sep 2015 21:51

noodlesocks wrote:I would certainly like to map for this game but I get the feeling that the mapping tools are wrapped up by several licensing interests that it would likely be impossible to provide even if the devs wanted to.

They aren't, it's certainly not a licensing issue. The tools are completely doable, but they require a certain time investment. I think it's 50-50: either we get the tools or we don't.

As a bonus they should more or less work for all Eugen games, including Wargame series and RUSE. I have one simple request for Eugen: kindly release the source code for your map editing tool, so we can read it and create tools for the older games if it doesn't work straight off the bat.

chemdude8
Corporal

Postby chemdude8 » Tue 6 Oct 2015 17:36

Steam forums we want a map editor mad Matt States there will not be a map editor released because they don't have one themselves.

I responded and asked if we could get a high level tutorial of how they create maps as is. Also asked about converting single player maps to multi. (I saw a post where someone did this in the older games)

EMPX
Private

Postby EMPX » Sun 24 Jan 2016 08:54

Map tools, Please, Please, Please!

AJE
Sergeant Major of the Army

Postby AJE » Thu 18 Feb 2016 04:36

Hob_Gadling wrote:As a bonus they should more or less work for all Eugen games, including Wargame series and RUSE. I have one simple request for Eugen: kindly release the source code for your map editing tool, so we can read it and create tools for the older games if it doesn't work straight off the bat.

No, the map tools are unique to each game. Eugen said that porting maps from older Wargame titles to W:RD required as much work as making a new map from scratch, which wouldn't happen if their map tools worked across multiple games.

Hob_Gadling
Captain

Postby Hob_Gadling » Sat 5 Mar 2016 16:37

AJE wrote:No, the map tools are unique to each game.

No, they are not. The base format is essentially similar, with incremental improvements. Not that it matters much.

If someone wants to work on these, I have a lot of useful information. Feel free to contact me.

Argonlegends
Private First-Class

Postby Argonlegends » Mon 11 Apr 2016 19:40

In a post of eugen I've read that the mapping team is back at work for some maps or stuff like that. I'm curious why the mod of the forum doesn't say anything