My opinions on the reboot.

Sir A Harris
Corporal

My opinions on the reboot.

Postby Sir A Harris » Tue 12 Apr 2016 10:56

I don't find much trouble with the new mechanics or even the pure oil resource. What I find trouble in this game. Is they fact they ruined the realism with units. At no point should a sniper be taller than a bungalow, at no point should a terminator be bigger than an abrams. If infantry units are too small, make them into squads rather than individual units bigger, since that destroys any 'realism' that existed prior to the reboot....

torinus
Lieutenant

Re: My opinions on the reboot.

Postby torinus » Tue 12 Apr 2016 12:18

Should not gameplay > realism?

SentrySteve
Private

Postby SentrySteve » Wed 13 Apr 2016 03:16

I couldn't disagree more. In the old classic version I had no idea what was attacking what. That really ruins the game as an RTS is a game built off counters. Things looked too similar and were too small. I really enjoy the model revamp.

Realism has its place, but when realism works against one of the core fundamental aspects of the game it's time for that realism to go.

Sir A Harris
Corporal

Postby Sir A Harris » Fri 15 Apr 2016 12:41

This is a game that needed realism, if people had dodgy eye sight and couldn't see everything or played on a resolution around 720p I can understand, but instead of increasing the size stupidly, they could make squadrons instead (since tanks and vehicles were fine, as far as I'm aware, people just couldn't see infantry, so a squadron rather than creating giants would of been better).

I am relatively at ease for the pure oil based (although it makes it far to easy and gives 4 year olds the ability to comprehend the money management)

Gameplay however of combat has been simplified, I love the addition of builders, but I hate the complete destruction of realism, this is an aspect that Eugen has been outstanding in for years but with this 'reboot' its clear they want more fans, they already got all the people expecting traditional Eugen stuff, now they are luring in the children with overly simplified mechanics, visuals, and gameplay.

Tore
Private First-Class

Postby Tore » Fri 15 Apr 2016 20:38

While I agree that the unit scales are all out of whack (giant M2 on the Hum-vee, size inconsistencies everywhere, Kriss SMG so large it looks like it would fire 40mm grenades rather than 45 ACP) I really like the direction the reboot is taking when it comes to gameplay. The 3 resource system with supply lines was interesting, but the implementation was confusing leaving you confused on why your units were not building. The traditional one (kinda 2 with power) resource system is very understandable.

The gameplay now feels like a larger scale version of Act of War. Act of War does win in the authenticity and atmosphere department though. Even C&C Generals a game which was meant to be silly in some cases feels more authentic when it comes to sounds, recoil and how units operate than AoA. AoA has too many things conflicting with authenticity; The silly inconsistent unit scales, units like the Otomatic rocking back and fourth when firing, units especially helicopters and infantry clipping through things. Fixing these things are important as immersion and suspension of disbelief are important factors in keeping people involved and in the game.

Sir A Harris
Corporal

Postby Sir A Harris » Sat 16 Apr 2016 11:16

Tore wrote:While I agree that the unit scales are all out of whack (giant M2 on the Hum-vee, size inconsistencies everywhere, Kriss SMG so large it looks like it would fire 40mm grenades rather than 45 ACP) I really like the direction the reboot is taking when it comes to gameplay. The 3 resource system with supply lines was interesting, but the implementation was confusing leaving you confused on why your units were not building. The traditional one (kinda 2 with power) resource system is very understandable.

The gameplay now feels like a larger scale version of Act of War. Act of War does win in the authenticity and atmosphere department though. Even C&C Generals a game which was meant to be silly in some cases feels more authentic when it comes to sounds, recoil and how units operate than AoA. AoA has too many things conflicting with authenticity; The silly inconsistent unit scales, units like the Otomatic rocking back and fourth when firing, units especially helicopters and infantry clipping through things. Fixing these things are important as immersion and suspension of disbelief are important factors in keeping people involved and in the game.

I like the resource spending system, I dislike the money only system, I mean, that was one thing that attracted me to the game, resource management as advertised in the trailers, its not resource 'management' if its one globally easy to obtain resource