Will you buy Steel Division?

RoadkillRodger
Lieutenant

Will you buy Steel Division?

Postby RoadkillRodger » Wed 1 Mar 2017 22:49

Posting because it looks like Eugen has been moving on from wargame for a while now.

Although the new game looks interesting, I have no particular interest in it and likely won't pick it up myself unless I were somehow financing a future wargame title.

Razzmann
General

Re: Will you buy Steel Division?

Postby Razzmann » Wed 1 Mar 2017 22:53

Considering it sounds like the gameplay - while scaled down - is similar to Wargame, most likely.

I'll still wait for gameplay videos and a Beta though.

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Wed 1 Mar 2017 22:54

Probably. I'll have to see some gameplay but I'm optimistic about the series and its knock-on effects for the next Wargame. I do think there will be another Wargame, they know they have the market here, there have been enough people saying they won't buy Steel Division because it's not Cold War. Until then I'll play Steel Division and make lists for hypothetical new nations in Wargame :lol:.
[Non-included Nation] Belgium - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Hungary - Spreadsheet
[Non-included Nation] Pakistan

Guggy
General

Postby Guggy » Wed 1 Mar 2017 22:54

I definitely will, PC ownership permitting

frostypooky
Lieutenant General

Postby frostypooky » Wed 1 Mar 2017 22:59

I probably will end up getting it, and I like what I see now. Decks based more on specific unit formations, tug of war looks more interesting than the three WG modes, and phasing unit tiers all seem like massive improvements on the WG formula from what little we know.

WW2 Normandy is a bit "eh" but from a thematic standpoint I don't buy the "more dumbed down compared to Cold War" argument considering a lot of WG's more modern, difficult to balance elements still don't feel fully fleshed out (ATGM balance, IRAA power creep over SEAD, LGBs, modern vs legacy howitzers, clusters, ECM balance, etc). I think going back to a WW2 baseline does allow Eugen to focus on balancing out the "baseline" of modern warfare, eg dumb weaponry and non-sensor warfare. And hopefully as they return to Cold War (whether through Steel Division or Wargame sequels) they can take more time to flesh out elements as they come along technologically.

I still want to play Cold War games and I can only hope they'll still have periodic patches or a sendoff DLC for WRD, but I think Faust's mod will catch on at this point now that it's clear the Wargame franchise is going quiet. To be honest, I think its a good thing that they are taking a major break from Wargame/Cold War because I'd rather them clear their minds and accept that they'll have to start with a new armory instead o trying to work with the current one. Culling the armory is one of the most important steps towards "fixing" Wargame but until they can afford to step back from WG it wasn't going to happen.
Last edited by frostypooky on Wed 1 Mar 2017 23:03, edited 1 time in total.

Crotou
Colonel

Postby Crotou » Wed 1 Mar 2017 23:02

It will depend on how much I will like the gameplay in the beta phase.

McNash
Lieutenant

Postby McNash » Wed 1 Mar 2017 23:08

No.

Do we have a poll option?

Cheesehead
Chief Warrant Officer

Postby Cheesehead » Wed 1 Mar 2017 23:10

Probably. I never really got into the WWII RTS stuff that much, so I'm willing to give it a try, as long as they don't go the EA route with a 60$+ game and then multiple paid DLC's a year.

Crowarior
Corporal

Postby Crowarior » Wed 1 Mar 2017 23:17

Yes, I like new division "deck" thing or at least I like the sound of it. I hope that this time Eugen makes sounds a bit more realistic...

Shrike
Lieutenant General

Postby Shrike » Wed 1 Mar 2017 23:18

Most likely.