Will you buy Steel Division?

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Re: Will you buy Steel Division?

Postby Mike » Wed 22 Mar 2017 04:21

Erich Honecker wrote:This game is great, I will buy it. 10 naval arty barrages/ 10

Let them learn on their own!
Courtesy of KattiValk

Mephistopheles
Sergeant First-Class

Postby Mephistopheles » Wed 22 Mar 2017 07:34

Ithink i will go to get it to add it to my collection of Eugen games.
But after i saw some gameplay i am not too excited about it.

-The movement of the frontline already indicates where enemy is pushing. so no room for suprise tactics and flanking. No sneaking recon arround like in wargame series

-Units stats got simplifed: Speed indicator shows as Fast or slow or etc. Other stats we are used to from wargame disappeared

-Accuracy stats have been rolled back to Number values known from Wargame EE and ALB rather than the "%" value we are used to from Red dragon

-So far i havent seen any other game modes: Seems like Conquest over the whole map, pushing the frontline further over the map to increase conquest income points rather than occupying zones with CVs

-Units have now a healthbar above them which will only appear when actually damaged. The downside: Its Black and fills up with red from left to right which can be very confusing and feels much like a reverse going healthbar

-Gamescale seems much smaller than in wargame series. nearly everything is scalled smaller. Maps, weapon ranges, artillery ranges.....longest range arty unit i saw were 2800 m, Tank cannon range was always 1000m while MGs have 800 m range.

-Moral seems to have higher impact. Units that are paniced will retreat immedeatly

...But i am always open for soemthing new. But i really hope they change a few things....the UI should be the first to change it has not that clean design we are used from wargame series.

Mister Maf
Lieutenant

Postby Mister Maf » Wed 22 Mar 2017 11:47

Mephistopheles wrote:Ithink i will go to get it to add it to my collection of Eugen games.

-The movement of the frontline already indicates where enemy is pushing. so no room for suprise tactics and flanking. No sneaking recon arround like in wargame series
Recon units don't influence the frontline. They can go into enemy territory without suffering a morale penalty or giving away their presence by shifting the line.

-Units stats got simplifed: Speed indicator shows as Fast or slow or etc. Other stats we are used to from wargame disappeared

-Accuracy stats have been rolled back to Number values known from Wargame EE and ALB rather than the "%" value we are used to from Red dragon
A downer for sure.

-So far i havent seen any other game modes: Seems like Conquest over the whole map, pushing the frontline further over the map to increase conquest income points rather than occupying zones with CVs
We don't even know when the game is coming out yet, let alone the full feature set. I'm sure there will be more than one game mode. The game will also support mods to some unknown extent, so maybe you can make your own game modes.

-Units have now a healthbar above them which will only appear when actually damaged. The downside: Its Black and fills up with red from left to right which can be very confusing and feels much like a reverse going healthbar
That's the morale meter, as I understand it. There are no actual HP bars.

-Gamescale seems much smaller than in wargame series. nearly everything is scalled smaller. Maps, weapon ranges, artillery ranges.....longest range arty unit i saw were 2800 m, Tank cannon range was always 1000m while MGs have 800 m range.
A plus in my book.

-Moral seems to have higher impact. Units that are paniced will retreat immedeatly
New officer units provide a leadership bonus of sorts to nearby allies, giving them improved morale and resistance to its negative effects. Conversely, a unit being completely surrounded or trapped behind enemy lines without a leader will be much more likely to surrender. Morale has been overhauled into an entirely new game mechanic that actually impacts your tactics, which is really cool.

...But i am always open for soemthing new. But i really hope they change a few things....the UI should be the first to change it has not that clean design we are used from wargame series.

Give it a chance. I haven't seen any gameplay myself, but I've heard only good things from beta players. I'm with you on the UI based on screenshots, but so far everything else I hear sounds like a step forward.

HrcAk47
Colonel

Postby HrcAk47 » Wed 22 Mar 2017 13:07

Since the dynamic frontline has been spoken about in a devblog, I guess we can discuss it a bit.

Applied to Wargame (beta really left me thirsty for the new functions, but I still like Cold War setting better), I can see the entirety of the recon tab as not influencing the frontline - and that'd come at a cost of removing "bonus stealth" from all non-infantry units.

That would be absolutely perfect.
The SEAD never bothered me anyway.

SMB Yugoslavia Retexture Mod, now released, v.1.0

Bullfrog
General

Postby Bullfrog » Wed 22 Mar 2017 19:57

On the fence, with a bias towards no.

I will if friends get it
Does not affiliate with members who post in #MakeAmericaGreatAgain

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Thu 23 Mar 2017 01:28

Mister Maf wrote:
Mephistopheles wrote:Ithink i will go to get it to add it to my collection of Eugen games.

-The movement of the frontline already indicates where enemy is pushing. so no room for surprise tactics and flanking. No sneaking recon around like in wargame series
Recon units don't influence the frontline. They can go into enemy territory without suffering a morale penalty or giving away their presence by shifting the line.

Recon, Paratroopers and AT squads don't influence the front line and can be sneaked around into the enemy's flank and rear.
Courtesy of KattiValk

dumbaos
Sergeant

Postby dumbaos » Thu 23 Mar 2017 10:03

Somewhat disheartened by the first stream. Have to see what the next ones show....

Crotou
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Crotou » Thu 23 Mar 2017 10:43

dumbaos wrote:Somewhat disheartened by the first stream. Have to see what the next ones show....

The guys who played during this stream didn't do justice to the game...

They should hire Razzmann to display some skill and back the game into a corner.

FrangibleCover
Lieutenant

Postby FrangibleCover » Thu 23 Mar 2017 11:35

Crotou wrote:
dumbaos wrote:Somewhat disheartened by the first stream. Have to see what the next ones show....

The guys who played during this stream didn't do justice to the game...

Not only that but also; the AI displayed a stunning lack of ability, presumably because it was set to easy so they didn't just get steamrolled. The bloke was floating hundreds of points at all times, had a negative K/D and kept buying off-map assets. I have no idea what the AI was doing but in the situation it had it could have pushed just about anywhere and gotten to the Human spawn. Combine that with the world's most timid open and the game did not look good, especially with how much they presented the AI as exceptional. I know the game is going to be fun but if I were your standard Paradox GSG player, I'd be walking away right now.

They should hire Razzmann to display some skill and back the game into a corner.

I'm just guessing but I think Razz probably has some assignments due in soon and can't go swanning off to Sweden to play games for money. I'm terrible at Wargame and have stuff due in too so they shouldn't hire me but they could pluck pretty much anyone else off the forums and get them to go and showcase the game while the Paradox guys talk to each other about how great the showcased features are.
[Non-included Nation] Belgium - Now with Spreadsheet!
[Non-included Nation] Pakistan

Razzmann
General

Postby Razzmann » Thu 23 Mar 2017 11:37

They should have played versus FLX and get... ah damn NDA...