Division Designing/Editing

Sweedish_Gunner
Brigadier

Division Designing/Editing

Postby Sweedish_Gunner » Thu 9 Mar 2017 03:27

So I get that you can choose which division you want to play and they all have different specialities.

But can you edit the divisions in any way? Can you tailor them for certain scenarios or maps, or swap out units for others that the division used?

For example as an American airborne could I select more heavy AT guns if I saw the enemy had picked 2 armoured divisions? Or as an armoured division could I take more armoured cars or infantry support vehicles if I saw I was up vs 2 infantry divisions?

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Re: Division Designing/Editing

Postby raventhefuhrer » Thu 9 Mar 2017 03:35

The way I understand it is that you must choose a division to play as, and then you build a deck out of units available to that division.

So if you're playing a 101st Airborne deck, you could theoretically change your deck to include more anti-tank assets, but only things that would have been available to the 101st Airborne. So you could probably take more cards of Bazooka-armed infantry, but you're not going to be able to slam a Wolverine Tank Destroyer into your deck (afaik).
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

Mike
More than 10 000 messages. Soldier you are the leader of all armies!

Postby Mike » Thu 9 Mar 2017 04:44

raventhefuhrer wrote:The way I understand it is that you must choose a division to play as, and then you build a deck out of units available to that division.

So if you're playing a 101st Airborne deck, you could theoretically change your deck to include more anti-tank assets, but only things that would have been available to the 101st Airborne. So you could probably take more cards of Bazooka-armed infantry, but you're not going to be able to slam a Wolverine Tank Destroyer into your deck (afaik).

This is how I see it. But it would be nice to division composition moddable so you can make whatever you want of you just wanna play around with friends or the AI though. Nothing for ranked or public games.
Delta Force or Delta Farce?

Sweedish_Gunner
Brigadier

Postby Sweedish_Gunner » Thu 9 Mar 2017 05:32

Mike wrote:This is how I see it. But it would be nice to division composition moddable so you can make whatever you want of you just wanna play around with friends or the AI though. Nothing for ranked or public games.

I'm hoping we can change the point modifiers like we can in Wargame.

It'd also be nice if we could modify unit availability in custom games. I'm worried the games going to be quite small scale.

XanderTuron
Warrant Officer

Postby XanderTuron » Thu 9 Mar 2017 05:45

I want to say that MadMat mentioned on the Paradox forums that they are (considering?) adding off division support elements, so for example a 101st Airborne deck could take a small number of M10s or something of that nature. Of course I could also be horribly wrong.
My mouth is moving, but nothing relevant is coming out. Also I cannot guarantee that my research is perfect or even remotely accurate.

I have low quality Wargame Red Dragon casts on my youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/XanderTuron

raventhefuhrer
Colonel

Postby raventhefuhrer » Thu 9 Mar 2017 06:16

He said some divisions will have access to units and capabilities outside of their standard TO&E. For example, I know a Panzergrenadier Division (the 17th SS) at Normandy had a Fallschirmjager regiment attached to it during the campaign. Perhaps if the 17th SS were in the game that would mean they're a mechanized division with greater light infantry capabilities and Fallschirmjager infantry?

So we know it's possible, but we don't know limitations. Do they only allow this insofar as a given division actually had an extra unit tacked onto it in real life? Do they let each division-deck have one 'slot' where they can take a unit outside their TO&E? We just don't know yet.

My guess is it will be fairly restrictive though.
My YouTube Channel is Raven Wargaming. Message me to request videos on certain topics.

[EUG]MadMat

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Thu 9 Mar 2017 10:25

XanderTuron wrote:I want to say that MadMat mentioned on the Paradox forums that they are (considering?) adding off division support elements, so for example a 101st Airborne deck could take a small number of M10s or something of that nature. Of course I could also be horribly wrong.

We aren't "considering" it: attachements are already parts of divisional TO&E ingame.

Sleksa
Lieutenant Colonel

Postby Sleksa » Thu 9 Mar 2017 11:25

[EUG]MadMat wrote:
XanderTuron wrote:I want to say that MadMat mentioned on the Paradox forums that they are (considering?) adding off division support elements, so for example a 101st Airborne deck could take a small number of M10s or something of that nature. Of course I could also be horribly wrong.

We aren't "considering" it: attachements are already parts of divisional TO&E ingame.

So to compare things to how wargame's decks are made:

In wargame you pick a deck type (nation, coalitition etc) and then fill it with units available to that deck type. In steel division you choose a division (roughly equivalent to a nation/coalition) and then fill it with units from that division as well as a common pool of "attachments"?

Or are the attachment units availability also tied spesific divisions?

[EUG]MadMat

Postby [EUG]MadMat » Thu 9 Mar 2017 11:40

Sleksa wrote:So to compare things to how wargame's decks are made

Basically, divisions are a mix of Wargame's national & type decks.
i.e. 101ts Airborne is a "hardcoded" American / Airborne deck.

Less liberty & choice, but a way for us to better balance the deck by restricting the hundreds of options to a few more historical.

Sleksa wrote:Or are the attachment units availability also tied spesific divisions?

The battkegroup's basic TO&E depends on the division it is modeled on.
Yet, to balance them, we've "attached" independant battalion/regiment/brigade to most of them to provide, still historicaly, some units they might be missing. or to actually allow those attachments to make an appearance, for Jagdpanther, Königstiger, planes, US 76mm AT guns or Wolverines, naval/railroad artillery, ... weren't part of any division.
Gameplay-wise, those independant units are part of their attached division as any others, although they usually come in lower numbers.

Sweedish_Gunner
Brigadier

Postby Sweedish_Gunner » Thu 9 Mar 2017 15:41

So any German panzer division can attach a schwere Panzerabteilungen (heavy tank battalion I just love the German name) and get access to Tigers?